Y-MSF Figures Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.

Which is your favorite Y-MSF figure?

1. Hedorah
7%
2. Gabara
11%
3. Godzilla 1962
10%
4. Godzilla 1967 w/Minya
5%
5. Varan
7%
6. Rodan
6%
7. Godzilla 1965
11%
8. Godzilla 1968
2%
9. Manda
12%
10. Megalon
31%

Total votes: 123

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Y-MSF Figures Discussion Thread

Post by Legion1979 »

Look, this whole thing started when someone made a comment implying there's only been candy toys of GFW Hedorah before now and that it will he nice to have other versions on the shelf finally. To me that 100% implied that _Navs_ did not know other figures of this version existed, hence my replay.

Then you come in with "Well, those don't count", which, again, didnt seem implied at all by his comment.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:06 pm Look, this whole thing started when someone made a comment implying there's only been candy toys of GFW Hedorah before now and that it will he nice to have other versions on the shelf finally. To me that 100% implied that _Navs_ did not know other figures of this version existed, hence my replay.

Then you come in with "Well, those don't count", which, again, didnt seem implied at all by his comment.
I was unaware those specific figures existed. Yes I was specifying accurate versions of the character, but I think the reason for that simply comes down to the lack of advertising I’ve seen from Marmit and M-1, which I believe fall under the “limited designer vinyl” label, at least for me.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:44 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:06 pm Look, this whole thing started when someone made a comment implying there's only been candy toys of GFW Hedorah before now and that it will he nice to have other versions on the shelf finally. To me that 100% implied that _Navs_ did not know other figures of this version existed, hence my replay.

I was unaware those specific figures existed. Yes I was specifying accurate versions of the character, but I think the reason for that simply comes down to the lack of advertising I’ve seen from Marmit and M-1, which I believe fall under the “limited designer vinyl” label, at least for me.
Thanks for the explanation. Though in this specific case, I wouldn't say the designer versions of this Hedorah are not accurate.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm Beeeeeeeeecaaaaaaaauuuuuse (see, I can do that too, it's fun) the Marmit and M-1 figures are the most substantial versions of this Hedorah that have been made. They're truly beautiful toys.
Subjective. Everyone's tastes are different. For example, neither of those figures are appealing to me. I wouldn't waste time and especially money hunting them down.
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm I really dislike this thing people keep doing by acting like stylized figures don't count. If you're going to willingly ignore the hundreds (thousands?) of great figures of just about every monster under the sun that these companies have done over the past 25 years, people could at least specify that they're doing that. People have these weird (to me) definitions of what counts and what doesn't.

If a person wants a realistically styled, colored and sized GFW Hedorah to go with their Bandais, they should make that clear instead of making it sound like no one has ever done anything outside of candy toys up to this point, which as MM made clear, isn't true either.
Nobody specifies because it's blindingly obvious what they're talking about just by using context clues. We're in the Y-MSF thread, a company that primarily caters to adding figures of obscure monsters to most people's Bandai-dominated collections. Of course they won't bring up Gigabrain or Marmit in the discussion of "finally, they made an [x]"!

It's fine (albeit weird) to be confused why people don't really branch out beyond the mass retail Bandai stuff (though it $hould be fairly obviou$ why that'$ the ca$e) but you don't have to run to these figures defenses and bring them up when the conversation doesn't revolve around it.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Legion seems to forget that the VAST majority of Godzilla collectors aren't willing/ can't afford half the price that these stylized figures are asking for. Its pretty simple: when people are asking for a figure of a certain suit its usually for an affordable standard sized figure. Obviously niche companies like M1 and Marusan and what not exist, but most collectors aren't really into that. And obviously xplus exists, but FUCK those prices. That's why I never collected Xplus (and I also think their sculpts can be very hit or miss but thats not relevant here).

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

YMSF will be selling a painted Wolfman/Superbeast at G-Fest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoRlfohJRaM/

I really wish he would sell these online, as I can’t make G-Fest, but for some reason he doesn’t.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

UltramanGoji wrote:

Subjective. Everyone's tastes are different. For example, neither of those figures are appealing to me.
Oh, the irony is delightfully rich here…Andrea Bell and her artwork both say “Hello!” :P :lol:

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm I really dislike this thing people keep doing by acting like stylized figures don't count. If you're going to willingly ignore the hundreds (thousands?) of great figures of just about every monster under the sun that these companies have done over the past 25 years, people could at least specify that they're doing that. People have these weird (to me) definitions of what counts and what doesn't.

If a person wants a realistically styled, colored and sized GFW Hedorah to go with their Bandais, they should make that clear instead of making it sound like no one has ever done anything outside of candy toys up to this point, which as MM made clear, isn't true either.
Exactly. It’s perfectly fine if someone doesn’t like stylized figures or prefers realistic takes (who the hell cares, to each their own…I personally love both), but yet when we see blanket “wow, this is the first figure of GFW <insert Kaiju> in <insert scale> eva!” statements that are flat out untrue, then they deserved to be called out as Legion has. If pointing that out really bothers some that much, then grow up. Now, if someone were to just simply specify “this is the first “realistic/stylized/non-stylized/etc figure of <insert kaiju>”, then that’s another story.

Can you imagine if Marusan came out with a 6 inch or 9 inch Shin-Godzilla, and someone said “wow, this is the first Shin-Godzilla figure in 8-9 inch scale ever!” while disregarding any Xplus, Bandai, or countless other Shin-Godzilla figures made in similar scales? People would lose their freaking minds around here :shingodzilla: :shingodzillapurple:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

We shouldn't pretend like UltramanGoji and Legion are on opposite sides of the table. Legion is saying that it's weird for people to say that stylized figures "don't count" while UltramanGoji is saying that they aren't what people immediately think of when they are talking about figures they've wanted. These views can be valid at the same time.

If Marmit released a neon pink and blue Bagan, you could go ahead and say "finally, a Bagan figure!" while simultaneously acknowledging that it isn't the depiction that most people would want to have. Needing to specify that it isn't the first screen-accurate Bagan figure seems redundant, and forcing folks to specify it is really snobby.
Last edited by Fermix on Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Oh jeez, ebirahsmeg. Did you really have to bring this up again? Lol

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 am Oh jeez, ebirahsmeg. Did you really have to bring this up again? Lol
Yeah for real :lol: All just as a dig against me for saying tastes are subjective in another thread only to come in here and point out that I...also said tastes are subjective. Bizarre.
Fermix wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:18 am We shouldn't pretend like UltramanGoji and Legion are on opposite sides of the table. Legion is saying that it's weird for people to say that stylized figures "don't count" while UltramanGoji is saying that they aren't what people immediately think of when they are talking about figures they've wanted. These views can be valid at the same time.
Yeah, this. I think collectors are smarter than people give them credit for; if they want a figure of a monster they'll get it. Some people don't collect stylized vinyls or have the resources to afford a collection so companies like Playmates, Y-MSF, and Bandai putting out obscure monsters is good for them. I myself have never really liked the M1 or Marmit Monster Heaven figures of GFW Hedorah and would probably be more comfortable with the Y-MSF, the Bandai, or even the Ultimate Monsters hyper-scale figure in my collection. But that's not to say that there aren't any stylized figures I wouldn't dream of owning either.

Anyway, let's move on from this clearly-already-discussed-to-death topic then, shall we?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It IS kinda weird though that YMSF keeps getting brought up in the same breath as Playmates and Bandai, considering they are more expensive, intended specifically for collectors, are made in extremely limited numbers and have to be ordered by a very specific means (Facebook and what else?) Sure these figures are realistically styled and in the 6" scale but that's really where it ends. So to wrap this all up, it IS a little odd that these figures are also part of what "counts" only because of they fit stylistically and size wise into a specific group of figures. People can point out price and availability being a factor for not including other companies, but that's really not what it is at all.

Anyway, I guess I kept this going didn't I?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah lmao I don’t need to be told a month later that my statements should be called out because 100 people once got their hands on a neon colored FW Hedorah like 15 years ago. Saying “this is the first FW vinyl of Hedorah” in a YMSF thread doesn’t stop an exclusive pink and gold X-Plus that only twelve people got their hands on from existing. It’s all about inferred interpretation and understanding.

I have no problem with Legion wanting people to acknowledge other smaller, obscure, abstract toy releases when discussing a specific figure. Which is why I’m glad we cleared that up a month ago.

But I think my insinuation that this was the first real accurate “Final Wars Hedorah” release besides Bandai’s is pretty valid, and I think the fact that it came down to accuracy is pretty apparent.

Added in 8 minutes 49 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:30 am It IS kinda weird though that YMSF keeps getting brought up in the same breath as Playmates and Bandai, considering they are more expensive, intended specifically for collectors, are made in extremely limited numbers and have to be ordered by a very specific means (Facebook and what else?) Sure these figures are realistically styled and in the 6" scale but that's really where it ends. So to wrap this all up, it IS a little odd that these figures are also part of what "counts" only because of they fit stylistically and size wise into a specific group of figures. People can point out price and availability being a factor for not including other companies, but that's really not what it is at all.

Anyway, I guess I kept this going didn't I?
While I see what you mean I think it’s similar to 6 inch Star Wars and comic figure collectors. As we’ll pick up third party import figures in order to fit in with our Star Wars Black Series or Marvel Legends, or Mcfarlane DC Multiverse figures, and they’re often more accurate than the US releases. But the equally priced abstract art release figures are their own little niche within a niche since they don’t fit in with the collections so many have and that have been considered staples for so long.

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 am Yeah, this. I think collectors are smarter than people give them credit for; if they want a figure of a monster they'll get it. Some people don't collect stylized vinyls or have the resources to afford a collection so companies like Playmates, Y-MSF, and Bandai putting out obscure monsters is good for them. I myself have never really liked the M1 or Marmit Monster Heaven figures of GFW Hedorah and would probably be more comfortable with the Y-MSF, the Bandai, or even the Ultimate Monsters hyper-scale figure in my collection. But that's not to say that there aren't any stylized figures I wouldn't dream of owning either.

Anyway, let's move on from this clearly-already-discussed-to-death topic then, shall we?
Basically this, and yeah i think this topic choice has run its course now lol on to future releases!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

GTS Godzilla variant. Unfortunately it is a G-Fest exclusive; I don't plan on going again this year so I guess I'm outta luck.

He also shared a paint test for Rodan, aka one of my most anticipated figures I've been waiting for release for over a decade. And my God, what a beauty. The chest spikes really make it, I just pray the final version will look something like that and not use the usual spray that is being used more frequently.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just got the Trendmasters colored Zilla and I love it, probably my new favorite figure from Y-MSF. I didn't really catch it on the first release, but I did here. The hands have pinkies sculpted on, for a total of five digits. This is kind of funny to me since its a little known fact Trendmasters nearly lost the license when a prototype had this same thing. Love how everything goes full circle. There's also attention to detail on the back with spine seams in same shape/area as the Ultimate Godzilla's back removal piece.

LOVING how Trendmasters-inspired color schemes are making appearances. I might triple dip on the 89 sculpt if they do any Trendmasters colored ones, or even an Imperial.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:48 pm Legion seems to forget that the VAST majority of Godzilla collectors aren't willing/ can't afford half the price that these stylized figures are asking for.
This here. My collection is all Bandai but I've always wished to collect Marmit, I do like the stylized figures but the prices are just way out of my affordability zone. Same for pretty much any Godzilla figure line besides like NECA or Playmates.

I'm out praying I could afford Y-MSF Zilla one day... 🙏
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Early look at Cyber:

(original)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

So great to finally have her in hand
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Paid for my Rose Biollante and Chainsaw Gigan earlier. When I saw he was about to release Orga, I asked if he could hold them from shipping until then because I was hoping to catch one when they go live...... He just messaged me directly with the total for Orga. So it's about to go live, if it hasn't by the time I click "submit."

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

YMSF Orga 2 may be one of the best Godzilla figures ever made.

Fantastic mold, fantastic paint, dynamic pose, great size, all representing an underrepresented monster.
Spoiler:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Dumb question, but what is the standard price for like say G98 if bought directly from Y-MSF?