Worst Godzilla Game

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Worst Godzilla Game

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzilla Unleashed ruined the Pipeworks trilogy for me.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

While I liked Unleashed, I gotta admit it’s super flawed. Carpal tunnel aside, it had a lot of good ideas that sadly fell victim to the many odd changes. There’s such a lack of impact on the attacks and beams that it just feels kinda exhausting by the end. I enjoy it for what it is, but it’s definitely the weakest in the Pipeworks trilogy.

The worst Godzilla game though? That honor goes to Double Smash. Completely unfair bosses, sporadic as all hell gameplay, and an unpleasant set of graphics... All we wanted was Domination 2, guys...
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dynomy-DX wrote:While I liked Unleashed, I gotta admit it’s super flawed. Carpal tunnel aside, it had a lot of good ideas that sadly fell victim to the many odd changes. There’s such a lack of impact on the attacks and beams that it just feels kinda exhausting by the end. I enjoy it for what it is, but it’s definitely the weakest in the Pipeworks trilogy.
Apparently the game was rushed to meet some sorta deadline (probably Atari's liscence coming out) so that's why it's so wonky. Still, a real shame to think of what could've been.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Blinder16
Ronin

Post by Blinder16 »

Eh, Unleashed was the only one I played, and that's why I've never played another Godzilla game... Is there a good one you guys would recommend?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Blinder16 wrote:Eh, Unleashed was the only one I played, and that's why I've never played another Godzilla game... Is there a good one you guys would recommend?
Godzilla: Save the Earth?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Double Smash is really bad.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Double Smash is really bad.

Mmm yes, truly the best graphics the Nintendo DS could possibly offer.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I say Godzilla the Game on PS3/PS4. The gameplay is just so mind-numbingly boring, I barely played it for a week before I gave up and never picked it up again. Honestly one of the most disappointing games I've ever bought. Every version of Unleashed was pretty bad, too, but at least there was some fun to be had.

For the record, based on some gameplay footage I've watched, Super Godzilla and Generations both look pretty terrible but I can't judge them without playing for myself. Monster of Monsters on NES was okay, I haven't played anything else pre-DAMM.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Gigantis wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Double Smash is really bad.

Mmm yes, truly the best graphics the Nintendo DS could possibly offer.
Double Smash had an awesome soundtrack and y'all know it!
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ROMG4 wrote: Double Smash had an awesome soundtrack and y'all know it!
Soundtrack don't help when everything else is poop. :P

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Godzilla: Defense Force. At least the rest of these games are beatable and aren’t just fucking scams to make ad-money.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Slothinator
Young Farmer

Post by Slothinator »

As far as Godzilla games I've actually played... going off of my biased memories of them as a child, the worst was probably Double Smash.

I distinctly remember playing Godzilla:Domination! on GBA as a young boy and having fun (probably wouldn't hold up by my standards today, but it was just a GBA game). I distinctly remember wondering why Mecha King Ghidorah was so huge.

I played Save the Earth and adored it (even more when I convinced my dad to buy a memory card so I didn't have to do any cheat codes every time to unlock the monsters). I played it more than any other game I had at the time.

I briefly tried DAMM some time after that, and all I could think about was how small the roster was, and how simple the graphics were (it was on a bigger tv than the one I played Save the Earth on, which probably didn't help).

Unleashed for the Wii had a huge roster, which was the deciding factor in asking for my child brain over the PS2 version. Whether Unleashed should be reviewed on it's own merits, I might look at it with rosier glasses, but I couldn't stop comparing it to Save the Earth. Child me was annoyed by the mandatory motion controls. I remember I was especially annoyed with how unresponsive and visually boring the grabs were compared to Save the Earth. The move sets felt bland and kind of samey between a lot of monsters.
I liked the bigger roster, having multiple save files, and I kinda liked the changing story mode thing, although child me felt like I didn't fully understand how to get more monsters through it.
Overall, Unleashed was, at worst, disappointing. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Better features at the cost of making the gameplay less interesting makes playing the game long term feel worse.

But nothing compares to Double Smash. I'll say exactly 1 good thing about it; looking at it now, I actually kinda like the art style. It's supposed to be exaggerated & cartoony, but not necessarily cute, all while still using 3d models, and I think it achieves what it set out to do. At least, as far as the monsters go. The 3d models of the tanks are planes are rough around the edges, and the concept art for them looks like actual children's toys. Rescue Heroes lookin' asses. This is the end of compliments.
Extremely limited gameplay, the entire game being an auto scroller, mid level QTEs to beat up stationary crystals, tanks and planes damage you when they run into you, it all leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. Swapping between two monsters was kinda neat, but it's an iteration on the worst gameplay in the SNES Godzilla, fighting nothing but tanks and planes until the bosses. Some of the big bosses are almost fun, but then the game throws the small bosses at you and the fun stops.
I had a lot more written, but it was a lot of getting into the weeds of why I dislike it.
(I still find it weird how Hedorah, Manda, and Ebirah were in this one, but not Unleashed).

There's definitely worse official Godzilla games out there, but Double Smash is the only one I've played that actively made me want to play it less.

lajim
Young Farmer

Post by lajim »

I agree with Berzerkgodzilla, the GU on the DS is the worst one. Also, the game can be nominated as the worst game generally in the history of the gaming industry :D :D :D

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

GU for the DS takes it and then some. Absolute garbage game, and frankly the Wii version wasn't that much better.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

Double Smash, the Godzilla The Series games on Game Boy Color, and the Banpresto arcade game suck, IMO, but Godzilla 2 on NES was the biggest disappointment of all as I absolutely adored Monster of Monsters and wanted more of the same - or better - not a slot machine simulator where you play as weak military units.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

lajim wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:09 am I agree with Berzerkgodzilla, the GU on the DS is the worst one. Also, the game can be nominated as the worst game generally in the history of the gaming industry :D :D :D
It would have been better if the developers had more than 4 months, start to finish, to make it.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It shows the age range of the people on this board that no one is mentioning the original Game Boy game, or Godzilla 2 for the NES.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Can anyone suggest what could’ve made more objectives for the PS3/PS4 game? That is besides defeating the enemy monster and destroying reactors. Maybe you could form alliances with different monsters.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:42 pm Can anyone suggest what could’ve made more objectives for the PS3/PS4 game? That is besides defeating the enemy monster and destroying reactors. Maybe you could form alliances with different monsters.
Would have been nice to be able to choose a "Hero" or "Villain" run for any of the monsters....villains attempt to destroy the entire city, heroes focus on repelling evil monsters....I dunno, ANYTHING more than what we got would have been nice. I get the feeling the game started as basically a new version of Godzilla Generations where you just destroy cities and monster combat was added in later down the line....
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:47 am Godzilla: Defense Force. At least the rest of these games are beatable and aren’t just fucking scams to make ad-money.
Someone had to say it. 100% agree!
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.