IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by kaijukurt »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:45 pm Matt Frank lives! Also, don't forget - issue #1 comes out in just over a week!

Additionally, we got the full solicit for Rodan vs. Ebirah, with a new cover to boot:

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzilla-id ... publishing
The colors are really popping here!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:32 pm
All of the Rodan and Ebirah covers are fine. Considering the abundance of the Heisei design I do wonder what Rodan we’ll actually wind up getting.
I'd guess Heisei is a lock but I wouldn't mind seeing the Millennium design; I don't recall it being used in these comics before, besides covers.

Fire Rodan could be neat too since his only comic appearance proper has been in Oblivion. Though the odds are already stacked against Ebirah enough as it is...

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Matt Frank's cover for the Japanese release of the Rivals Round 1 TPB!

https://twitter.com/spankzilla85/status ... 8O-RQ&s=19

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:20 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:32 pm
All of the Rodan and Ebirah covers are fine. Considering the abundance of the Heisei design I do wonder what Rodan we’ll actually wind up getting.
I'd guess Heisei is a lock but I wouldn't mind seeing the Millennium design; I don't recall it being used in these comics before, besides covers.

Fire Rodan could be neat too since his only comic appearance proper has been in Oblivion. Though the odds are already stacked against Ebirah enough as it is...
Was Fire Rodan in issue #3 of Half-Century War or not? Or was that the Heisei Rodan?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wow, Matt has really been doing well recently. I think the incentive cover for All Hail the King and now this Japanese cover is fantastic. Howevever, I love that Kamacuras is sort of just there to balance out the composition. Like they only appear in a couple of panels and one might think they get an issue. :) It is really cool to have Kamacuras on such a thing though.
Was Fire Rodan in issue #3 of Half-Century War or not? Or was that the Heisei Rodan?
Who knows, although the copyright panels will indicate it. There seems to be some weirdness involving Fire Rodan. The Heisei design is associated with it, and really in comics the colors can be hard to distinguish. What Oblivion did was have the Heisei Rodan, gave it a beam, and kept it ambigious. It's probably like Super MechaGodzilla vs. standard Heisei MG. We've gotten SMG mostly whenever the heisei incarnation has appeared, but I'm forgetting if there's any actual difference on the copyrights within the issues.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Wow, I'm surprised they're translating Rivals already. Some of IDW's old titles still haven't been translated, I believe, and others from years ago only got translated very recently. They always have great covers though; managed to score one from Matt himself at G-Fest.
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:21 am Was Fire Rodan in issue #3 of Half-Century War or not? Or was that the Heisei Rodan?
Impossible to say; it certainly looks like Fire Rodan with the reddish tint, but then again everything in that comic had a red tint. And Stokoe adds a bit of stylistic flair to his designs. The only way to really explicitly confirm it is to see that purple beam since only Fire Rodan has it, and Oblivion was the only comic that showed it clearly.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:05 pm
Who knows, although the copyright panels will indicate it. There seems to be some weirdness involving Fire Rodan. The Heisei design is associated with it, and really in comics the colors can be hard to distinguish. What Oblivion did was have the Heisei Rodan, gave it a beam, and kept it ambigious. It's probably like Super MechaGodzilla vs. standard Heisei MG. We've gotten SMG mostly whenever the heisei incarnation has appeared, but I'm forgetting if there's any actual difference on the copyrights within the issues.
The copyright icons don't help; Fire Rodan falls under the "Rodan" umbrella, just like Meganulon does under Megaguirus for whatever reason.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 pm Wow, I'm surprised they're translating Rivals already. Some of IDW's old titles still haven't been translated, I believe, and others from years ago only got translated very recently. They always have great covers though; managed to score one from Matt himself at G-Fest.
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:21 am Was Fire Rodan in issue #3 of Half-Century War or not? Or was that the Heisei Rodan?
Impossible to say; it certainly looks like Fire Rodan with the reddish tint, but then again everything in that comic had a red tint. And Stokoe adds a bit of stylistic flair to his designs. The only way to really explicitly confirm it is to see that purple beam since only Fire Rodan has it, and Oblivion was the only comic that showed it clearly.
The copyright icons don't help; Fire Rodan falls under the "Rodan" umbrella, just like Meganulon does under Megaguirus for whatever reason.
Actually, according to Wikizilla's thread on the trademark icons, Fire Rodan had his own that was separate from Rodan's.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:39 pm Actually, according to Wikizilla's thread on the trademark icons, Fire Rodan had his own that was separate from Rodan's.
Yup, can confirm that on the Sony DVD release.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:21 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:39 pm Actually, according to Wikizilla's thread on the trademark icons, Fire Rodan had his own that was separate from Rodan's.
Yup, can confirm that on the Sony DVD release.
Oof, that DVD brings me way back. Funnily enough, that's also what I remember Fire Rodan having it's own unique trademark for. Who knows if those little images actually have any importance for legal reasons or indicate anything.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:39 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 pm Wow, I'm surprised they're translating Rivals already. Some of IDW's old titles still haven't been translated, I believe, and others from years ago only got translated very recently. They always have great covers though; managed to score one from Matt himself at G-Fest.

Actually, according to Wikizilla's thread on the trademark icons, Fire Rodan had his own that was separate from Rodan's.
Oh yeah, I'm fully aware, I just meant that the Fire Rodan icon isn't used in the comics specifically, similar to Meganulon & a couple others.

I love the little icons; they're random and needless, but a lot of fun. Kind of miss them. Wikizilla's list is indeed pretty great and comprehensive; has some rare ones on it for anyone who might not have seen it, like the ROM characters - https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Trademark_icons

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Surprised no one has discussed All Hail the King Issue 1, because it's awesome!

The Xilliens are cool. They lean heavily into goofy camp, and I love the idea of them being internet trolls. It's the type of thing some people on here will dislike, but works well if you just accept the absurdity. I also love that we get some new Xillien characters (Commander Z, and Agent Dragon). Xilliens work well as cartoony villains, and this SAVES the series from my big fear that they'd be the same stone-faced invaders from recent IDW series.

But that's not all!:
Spoiler:
Gabara! Brief but fun, and finally! Not continuing Sarunga...is this the longest a monster hasn't made any official appearance since it's debut?
Some great POV shots too, from Godzilla's perspective.

Good build up for the next issue. I do sort of wish we had a full fight with the aforementioned monster but whatever.

Art is on point. Its hard to describe, but it feels better than the first run. It's just as stylized, but doesn't feel as "cheap". There's some more detail here and there, and maybe a slightly darker color palette works well. I also like that we get build up with King Shisa and Okinawa with Karen, although that's obviously a ways off.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:02 am Surprised no one has discussed All Hail the King Issue 1, because it's awesome!
Just read it, and yeah, I liked it too!

After the break-neck speed of the Power Rangers crossover, this was a much slower book, though we still had a solid start. I appreciate that we're not having a slow-build towards the Xiliens either; kind of expected them to take that route, but here they are on page 4 already.

Characters are fun & cute (I do like Cedric being overly-"sensitive" at times; could be seen as annoying but it works for me). Art is still great with the human (& alien) characters; love the cartoony style for them. I like that they mostly ditched the vlog framing device too, without completely removing it for consistency's sake. Plus our new character shows promise already, laying the seeds for a certain dog-god.
The Xilliens are cool. They lean heavily into goofy camp, and I love the idea of them being internet trolls. It's the type of thing some people on here will dislike, but works well if you just accept the absurdity. I also love that we get some new Xillien characters (Commander Z, and Agent Dragon). Xilliens work well as cartoony villains, and this SAVES the series from my big fear that they'd be the same stone-faced invaders from recent IDW series.
1000%. Much like how Rivals #3 was willing to explore Xilien culture, I adore how they're making actual characters out of them in this series, complete with differing designs/body types. And absolutely in love with the silly, overly cartoony approach they've taken with their depiction here, especially with how they play into the "aliens being naïve about mundane Earth culture" tropes. ("The powerful technique the humans call trolling.") Already a huge fan of all of it, I'm really hoping our main characters come face-to-face with them in the future.

Lotsa-spoilers:
Spoiler:
Holy shit, Gabara! I was thrilled to see him finally appear in a comic. Outside of games and Gojiban, he hasn't been in much, so I appreciate the cameo. I also like how he disappeared mid-dream-battle, paying tribute to his origins as an imaginary kaiju.

Bringing this back:
Shenanigans wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:52 pm I am very curious to know what IDW's new deal looks like though. Either they simply renewed their old deal with the same monsters they previously had the rights to or maybe they have a different deal in place that allows them to use whoever they want (except Kong/Mechani-Kong). Toho's old rules have clearly been relaxed (allowing redesigns, etc.), so maybe IDW has a freer reign over Toho's characters now. Won't know until a character like Ganimes, Gabara, or Godzilla Junior (characters they did not have the rights to) shows up, which could be never.
Well, I guess we have our answer now - IDW has free reign over any of Toho's monsters, not just who was part of their old deal. Nice. I do hope this means Ganimes can make an appearance in a future comic too, though I'm honestly more than content with Gabara.

Fun fact - Gabara is the first "comic debut" of a Toho monster since Mecha-King Ghidorah in 2014 - or at least, I think so. Rulers of Earth introduced over a dozen monsters to comics for the first time, with MKG being the last one as far as I can remember.

Second fun fact - Anguirus one again extends his streak of appearing/cameoing in every single IDW Godzilla comic series. He is the only monster besides Godzilla to do so.
I'll admit my expectations weren't terribly high, but they did a good job here. Still not terribly excited for Ghidorah yet again, but other elements are fun. Much like the first series, elements may seem "cringey" for some and isn't for everyone, but I think its cute and innocent enough. I liked it a lot!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The mini is off to a great start!

The characters are fun (the Xiliens especially), the art style continues to synch very well with the tone (all-ages adventure continues to be the perfect description for this continuity), nice set-up for the 2 King kaiju, the
Spoiler:
Gabara appearance!
..the creators are clearly enjoying the franchise and I’m looking forward to the next one!

If people are still on the fence on the art, I suggest they can pick up IDW’s Ghostbuster books for a good grasp of Schoening’s style. The more art styles we see in Godzilla comics, the better if you ask me.
Shenanigans wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:51 am
Spoiler:
Well, I guess we have our answer now - IDW has free reign over any of Toho's monsters, not just who was part of their old deal. Nice. I do hope this means Ganimes can make an appearance in a future comic too, though I'm honestly more than content with Gabara.

Fun fact - Gabara is the first "comic debut" of a Toho monster since Mecha-King Ghidorah in 2014 - or at least, I think so. Rulers of Earth introduced over a dozen monsters to comics for the first time, with MKG being the last one as far as I can remember.

Second fun fact - Anguirus one again extends his streak of appearing/cameoing in every single IDW Godzilla comic series. He is the only monster besides Godzilla to do so.
I really like how the Toho-IDW relationship has evolved since the KOM days, especially since comics are a very ripe medium for a spectacle-heavy property like Godzilla.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So I was looking through the first Monsters & Protectors series and noticed this panel:

Could be just an Easter Egg, but could also be relevant with this sequel series. Wonder if its meant to be a mural of a past battle or, as the text on this panel very coincidentally suggests, a glimpse of the future.

Small theory: Now that we know
Spoiler:
Ghidorah is already on Earth, I'm betting that the next issue will reveal Mothra originally defeated Ghidorah long ago and sealed him away, a la Desghidorah, but couldn't kill him. Makes me wonder if Mothra will have a bigger role in this series than previously suggested - which is to say, none at all, she hasn't even been mentioned in any synopsis or covers yet, though the Shobijin are supposed to come back. So I'll throw out another theory - Mothra initially battles Ghidorah when he first awakens and gets killed (been a while since we've had a good ole' fashioned Mothra death in these comics), leading to Godzilla's reawakening and the search for King Caesar. Not terribly inventive to say the least, but could be interesting and a decent way to establish this Ghidorah's power.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:15 pm So I was looking through the first Monsters & Protectors series and noticed this panel:

Could be just an Easter Egg, but could also be relevant with this sequel series. Wonder if its meant to be a mural of a past battle or, as the text on this panel very coincidentally suggests, a glimpse of the future.

Small theory: Now that we know
Spoiler:
Ghidorah is already on Earth, I'm betting that the next issue will reveal Mothra originally defeated Ghidorah long ago and sealed him away, a la Desghidorah, but couldn't kill him. Makes me wonder if Mothra will have a bigger role in this series than previously suggested - which is to say, none at all, she hasn't even been mentioned in any synopsis or covers yet, though the Shobijin are supposed to come back. So I'll throw out another theory - Mothra initially battles Ghidorah when he first awakens and gets killed (been a while since we've had a good ole' fashioned Mothra death in these comics), leading to Godzilla's reawakening and the search for King Caesar. Not terribly inventive to say the least, but could be interesting and a decent way to establish this Ghidorah's power.
I'm sort of surprised how little Mothra actually appeared in the first series. She really only appeared in the final issue to calm down the monsters....so, we could definitely use more of her/them.

I like your theory, and it would certainly fuel the slightly darker tone of this go-around. Plus, while we've had King Ghidorah vs. Mothra a couple of times. the Xilliens/other aliens have never really interacted with Mothra. There could be a lot of fun things going on there.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:26 am
I'm sort of surprised how little Mothra actually appeared in the first series. She really only appeared in the final issue to calm down the monsters....so, we could definitely use more of her/them.

I like your theory, and it would certainly fuel the slightly darker tone of this go-around. Plus, while we've had King Ghidorah vs. Mothra a couple of times. the Xilliens/other aliens have never really interacted with Mothra. There could be a lot of fun things going on there.
More of this big fluffy Mothra in particular is not a bad thing. The only Mothra I won't be annoyed to see some more.

Gonna be honest, I never really thought about how little Mothra & the Shobijin have interacted with aliens before, comics or otherwise. It would be neat to see the Shobijin meet an alien race like the Xiliens face-to-face at some point.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dan Schoening
It's King Caesar and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah for the fate of the world! Both humanity and the would-be conquerors, the Xiliens, are watching the battle with great interest. But even if Godzilla and King Caesar beat King Ghidorah, can they resist the urge to throw down with each other? Of course they can't! But the citizens of Tokyo still better hope their fight is a short one! All Hail the King ends here!
In Shops: Feb 01, 2023
King Caesar's looking a bit Final Wars-y to me. And as somebody said, it sure is interesting to see Ghidorah with the Monsterverse horns.

Must admit I'm not the biggest fan of Godzilla vs. King Caesar, one because it suggests Ghidorah's fight isn't even the climactic one, but also because I generally prefer Caesar as a Godzilla ally. Then again, I realize the reason for the fight is likely to remind us Godzilla isn't a "good guy" here while Caesar is, but even so, seems unnecessarily tacked on.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:17 am Image
(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dan Schoening
It's King Caesar and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah for the fate of the world! Both humanity and the would-be conquerors, the Xiliens, are watching the battle with great interest. But even if Godzilla and King Caesar beat King Ghidorah, can they resist the urge to throw down with each other? Of course they can't! But the citizens of Tokyo still better hope their fight is a short one! All Hail the King ends here!
In Shops: Feb 01, 2023
King Caesar's looking a bit Final Wars-y to me. And as somebody said, it sure is interesting to see Ghidorah with the Monsterverse horns.

Must admit I'm not the biggest fan of Godzilla vs. King Caesar, one because it suggests Ghidorah's fight isn't even the climactic one, but also because I generally prefer Caesar as a Godzilla ally. Then again, I realize the reason for the fight is likely to remind us Godzilla isn't a "good guy" here while Caesar is, but even so, seems unnecessarily tacked on.
I'm okay with Godzilla vs King Shisa because Godzilla has never fought King Shisa, except in Final Wars (but that doesn't count). While other Godzilla allies, Angurius, Rodan, Mothra, have fought Godzilla numerous times in films and other media, we've never seen just Godzilla vs. King Shisa.

Glad to see King Shisa in the spotlight though. Rulers of Earth handled him well, but it was sort of a last minute thing and we never got him interacting with Godzilla a lot.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Hmm interesting.

I have a feeling the FW design is being used since it’s pupils can allow for more expressions to be shown.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It appears in general that Toho/whoever is overseeing these projects has stopped caring about conformity for designs. The Ghidorah is clearly partially based on the MV/Heisei Design (don't let legendary know that), and it wouldn't surprise me if the King Shisa is a hybridization.