Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

Post by Legion1979 »

The next Completion book isn't a Heisei film. It's going to be MOTHRA VS GODZILLA and it's scheduled for an October release.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

October 4th! Looks like it'll have the usual pre-final drafts included, really curious about the earliest history surrounding the movie. The description's in Japanese, but this makes it sound like they're aiming to create "the definitive" MvsG book: https://www.posthobby.com/SHOP/9784798629469.html
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Awesome, I will get that one for sure! I hope we get one for Godzilla vs Mothra also!

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

It'll be interesting to see what new information can be included considering the attention MvG has received from the fandom thus far. I'd really love to see concept art along the lines of Akira Watanabe's Ghidorah sketch, which I'd still like to know the origin of. While we're discussing Showa, a "Gojira" Completion compiling all of the early designs and history behind the film would be amazing.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

The next book has been announced - Godzilla: Final Wars Completion!
http://hobbyjapan.co.jp/books/book/b620483.html

Expected release is April 4th. Really curious to learn more about the history of this movie... and of course early scripts.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

Final Wars does have a really interesting background. Now if only they'd get back to the VS films. As a Battra fan I'd say Godzilla vs Mothra Completion is in order.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Andagi1 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:29 pm Final Wars does have a really interesting background. Now if only they'd get back to the VS films. As a Battra fan I'd say Godzilla vs Mothra Completion is in order.
I thought they did Godzilla vs Mothra already.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:01 pm
Andagi1 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:29 pm Final Wars does have a really interesting background. Now if only they'd get back to the VS films. As a Battra fan I'd say Godzilla vs Mothra Completion is in order.
I thought they did Godzilla vs Mothra already.
There has been one made for the 64 movie, but not the Heisei one.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

It's going to be really hard to top the GFW Shogakukan Super Complete Series book from 2004 (that may have been one of the most well done edition of that particular series of books...really miss that series and their unique, one of a kind covers :sad: ). Overall, I like these Perfection/Completion books, but they have been becoming more and more text heavy it seems with each release (great for those fluent in reading kanji or who are willing to put up with very wonky/strange translations from Google Translate App while sacrificing their eyesight in the process).
Haven't they done all of the Heisei series already? :?: I could have sworn Godzilla vs Mothra was covered already (apologies if I'm wrong, as I might thinking of the initial Heisei Perfection book that kicked off this series).

I would love to see a GTTHM, GvsMZ, or DAM Perfection/Completion book at some point.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:50 am Haven't they done all of the Heisei series already? :?: I could have sworn Godzilla vs Mothra was covered already (apologies if I'm wrong, as I might thinking of the initial Heisei Perfection book that kicked off this series).
Nope! Thought for sure it was going to see a release last year since it was the movie's 30th anniversary... That and vs. MG1993 are the last of the Heisei movies awaiting the Completion/Perfection treatment.

From Showa, I'd love to see one covering Terror of MG. Millennium already hit my most-wanted with GMK, but GFW should hopefully be fairly interesting.
/crawls back under rock

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

Awesome. Hopefully it'll have new Kitamura interviews since his opinions on the series are pretty amusing.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

After Final Wars, I think they will go back to Hesei, for either GVM or GVMGII. Either of those would be great!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster is the next movie to receive the Completion treatment: https://twitter.com/HobbyJapan_MAG/stat ... 7963130147
/crawls back under rock

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

God the Japanese shipping is almost like buying another book entirely.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shipping prices from Japan are outrageous (I can attest to this personally after moving out of Japan late last year). With the hyper-inflation of the yen, it seems they're increase shipping prices to compensate....no end to this issue in sight unfortunately.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

As someone who gets these off Mandarake, I now need to find something else to add to my order to feel like I'm getting any value out of my purchase, and I don't think their MSRP is getting any lower either lol. Mooks turned out being pretty expensive to collect; I ordered the Toho SFX Complete Works in December and it was so enormous the shipping was nearly twice the price of the book itself.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Any guesses on the next release? I'm guessing Heisei or Millennium next. Of the four films from those eras lacking a release currently, I think Godzilla vs Mothra or Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II are the most likely choices. Godzilla 2000 and Megaguirus don't seem as popular in Japan from what I've read. And also, I really want to see those two as Completion books the most. ;)

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

It's been quite a while since the last Completion was announced. I hope they're not discontinuing the series. Perhaps they think that the most popular films have been done already, so no more are needed?