The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by StardustGenius »

GodzillavsJason wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm Huh, I wonder what everyone thinks of my new match?

*Goes in to see everyone comparing it to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2*

In all seriousness, I actually didn't even think of that when writing it. It's also even funnier that KaijuX pointed out how it reminded him of the scrapped Godzilla vs. Redmoon concept, which I also didn't think of when writing it. Funny coincidences all around.

I'm very happy y'all are enjoying it. I guess a few things I'll jot down for my "thought process".
Spoiler:
- A good portion of the inspiration for it regarding Gomora, came from our Interrupt the Movie of the Gomora two-parter. Particularly mentioning the horns bleeding and how we all joked Gomora's body is just gonna get desecrated at the end. So, I thought I'd at least spare Gomora from that treatment in my AU of it

- As I said above, this is more or less a fun what if I wanted to do. I thought it could be interesting to explore on how the death of one person, "The Prince of Monsters", could literally change the outcome of an event and even the actions of others. With the way the story turned out, things might have gotten worse, particularly with Godzilla.

- I'm sure all of you know me, especially the ones in the discord, as the person who basically writes "movie" length matches. It just tends to be my style and I really love getting to know the world and characters involved. Plus, keeping the fight(s) relatively short, so they can be a bit more impactful and doesn't feel like I'm overextending myself. I know others are way better at making longer fights more exciting and interesting. But not the point! I decided to experiment a little, by putting on my "60s Tsuburaya" thinking cap and making this the length of an Ultraman two-parter. That's why you see stuff like the Kamacuras cameo, monsters sprinkled throughout doing stuff that would fit the general pace and only one big fight at the end.

- Regarding the abrupt ending. That is a very valid criticism and one I agree on, but like KaijuX said, I thought it would have taken away from the emotional moment between the three monsters. I did have something in mind for the other SSSP members, but scrapped it because it felt like it was an interruption that would break the moment at least for me. So, it's basically a case of the "What do you do?"

- As for squeakquels? Maybe, I haven't put too much thought into it. I mainly took on the request because I like the idea of how one person dying can drastically change everything, the relationship between Gomora and Minilla, and the two title monsters being manipulated to fight each other.
Once again, I'm really happy you guys are enjoying. Thank you all so much!
I don't particularly read KWC, but I took a chance and read this one. Superb work! Pardon for being so sudden; I do not have access to private DMs, but I might as well ask now! Do you take writing commissions? I am currently working on a tokusatsu hero based project, and am in need of a scenario writer and story editor!

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

In the Latest Match Humanity Commits more ethical crimes against humanity :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge:

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

New match up on the site. Think it’s a matchup people have been waiting a long time for ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Hell yeah it has! First thing, banner is amazing, second thing, very good match.
Spoiler:
Dessy achieving Critical Mass and proceeding to shit stomp SpaceGodzilla was awesome
Great match, very fun to read, I give it a 9/10

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The fact this match took so long is honestly a crime against humanity.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming this takes place in the Godzilla Unleashed world, considering New York got infected by crystals and Critical Mass Destoroyah appearing at the very end. Pretty solid fight all around though! Definitely made use of the long overdue concept.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

I knew as soon as I saw that banner circulating on Twitter that something was coming! Glad to see this match turn out so well.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
SpaceGodzilla vs Destoroyah. :Spacegodzilla: :Destoroyah: A battle between two of Godzilla’s most infamous enemies around that’s been long overdue in the Kaiju War Chronicles library, and it delivered just fine. I knew the moment I saw that kick-ass banner that this match was gonna happen.

I skreeonking died when Destoroyah started the fight. SpaceGodzilla makes this huge promise of reward and glory, and not even a second later Destoroyah just went “fuck thou sideways” and had at him. Didn’t even take a moment to consider Space G’s offer; just automatically saw him and decided he hated his guts.

The fight itself was a grueling back-and-forth that felt like these two have been waiting to go at each other for years—but of course, one had to fall, and what a fall it was.

The way Destoroyah took SpaceGodzilla out was both hilarious and downright epic at the same time. Imagine you’re in this big battle with someone who’s had you on the ropes for quite a bit, and you end up decapitating them in a glorious fashion… … …and then mid-flight, their severed head suddenly comes alive and spits in your eyes, and they come back to life and fuck you up right when you thought you had certain victory.

That’s basically what happened here.

Also the use of Destoroyah’s stomach beam combined with his Oxygen Destroyer Ray was awesome. One of my favorite moments in the KWC this year—to say nothing of the last big surprise.

Fucking BURNING DESTOROYAH?!

The world is borderline fucked.

Great job, GvR. 10/10. :huge: :Destoroyah:
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Shocked it took this long to get this showdown but worth the wait, fun and chaotic brawl just how I like it.
Spoiler:
Critical Mass Destoroyah was hype and made for a fun finish.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Spoiler:
A decades long fantasy match in Toho history finally brought to life in spectacular fashion with a simple story, engaging and creative battle, and the promise (?) of more in the future.
Good job, writer of this match.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

I have a quick question about matches with multiple authors.
When you send it to the KWC verifier, do you put both authors' names in the attachment?

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Dunkeeni wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:52 pm I have a quick question about matches with multiple authors.
When you send it to the KWC verifier, do you put both authors' names in the attachment?
Correct.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:57 pm
Dunkeeni wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:52 pm I have a quick question about matches with multiple authors.
Correct.
Alright, just needed to make sure, thanks :D

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Oh yeah I should probably say something about my match that went up yesterday. Glad everyone’s enjoying it, I am very happy to bring to life a matchup that people have wanted for decades at this point, and that I have done it justice according to y’all. The banner drawn by Christian Gonzalez, also known as Seaguns, is amazing and I love it.

Fun bit of trivia:
Spoiler:
Destoroyah firing a beam from its severed head is taken from the Godzilla vs Destoroyah manga adaptation published by Shogakukan.
KWCE Administrator

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:01 pm Oh yeah I should probably say something about my match that went up yesterday. Glad everyone’s enjoying it, I am very happy to bring to life a matchup that people have wanted for decades at this point, and that I have done it justice according to y’all. The banner drawn by Christian Gonzalez, also known as Seaguns, is amazing and I love it.

Fun bit of trivia:
Spoiler:
Destoroyah firing a beam from its severed head is taken from the Godzilla vs Destoroyah manga adaptation published by Shogakukan.
I knew that seemed familiar from somewhere. We need more Shogazilla references.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Traveling at the moment so I was able to catch up with 393 & 392. Still need to eventually get back to 390, especially with the awards on the horizon, but I can at least give my thoughts on the past two.

Something I'll just say off the bat is both banners are amazing. It'll be tough competition this year for best artistic banner, but each are unique, detailed and absolutely stellar in their design. Of the two, I do think Godzilla vs. Gomora's banner is better with its movie poster inspired layout and incredible detail, but the action pose of SpaceGodzilla vs. Destoroyah is on another level. Its definitely better than Christian's previous submission, Godzilla vs. Gamera: Round 2, and finally, I gotta admit the awesome contrasting colors, kind of like some of Matt Frank's best works, make it my preference of the two. I'm a sucker for that type of design.

So to the actual matches!

392 was very, very good, right off the bat. You can tell Alex knows the Science Patrol chemistry like the back of his hand so you get each character's personality super quickly. The dialogue was top notch. The match had a solid pace. Monster action was great. The story is probably my favorite of his so far, and fits a Showa plotline perfectly. Hayata has a fantastic arc in this, learning that sometimes its better NOT to fight as Ultraman, but... it does have a few noticeable problems.
Spoiler:
For the human side of the story, the extended cast outside Hayata is ignored by the story's end which is strange given the investment given to each person early on. If the story just focused on Hayata and Ultraman and their respective arcs, solely from Hayata's viewpoint, I don't think I and others would have this complaint.

For the monster side of the story, I think here is where the match is held up from being one of the greats. The action, again, is superb with Gomora and Minilla's relationship being a great foundation for the match (though I wish Gomora choose to help Minilla or saved him against humans as the catalyst to their relationship instead of Gomora just instinctively choosing to protect Minilla). What hampers this match for me is that Godzilla's blind rage felt off, especially since Godzilla sees humans taking Minilla away, and while Gomora's death is certainly tragic, it fails to come to anything in regard to Minilla's character as he leaves with Godzilla. A sequel can definitely help with this, pitting Minilla against Showa Godzilla in some type of conflict, but for this match, it felt like Gomora's death as tragic as it was, was ultimately pointless toward Minilla and only galvanized Godzilla. Which then counters the whole arc of Hayata being not to fight as not fighting as Ultraman means more people will die.

Knowing Hayata's arc, having Gomora peacefully leave with Minilla better supplements that end compared to, Hayata realizes he shouldn't fight only to not fight and create a monster that wants to end humanity.
Now for 393, here we have a great match!

Far less to process with this one story or character wise, but that doesn't mean any less effort was given by Matt who knows how to give each monster nice flourishes of arrogance or sadism. SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah do their thing here, and they both do it well, with fantastic action choreography all throughout. For 2022's 1v1s, this may be my favorite, but I think what holds it back is a common complaint I have with Matt's matches, being that while his action is always top notch, I can't say the first two/thirds of this match are memorable.
Spoiler:
By memorable, I really mean making each part of the fight stand out. Like the final third is 10/10. We have Critical Mass Destoroyah, a greater use of the aggregates, along with the most original decapitation in the history of the KWC, but the first 2 thirds don't have those dynamic moments and if forced to recount the fight, I could say what was done but not in the order it was given or who was winning.
Minor critique aside, I think SpaceGodzilla vs. Destoroyah will meet or exceed the high expectations placed on it.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

FatBaconUnicorn
JXSDF Technician

Post by FatBaconUnicorn »

Greyshot151 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:39 pm
Spoiler:
What hampers this match for me is that Godzilla's blind rage felt off, especially since Godzilla sees humans taking Minilla away,
Spoiler:
So do you just like not know what a parent will do to protect their child? Like that isn't out of character at all and fits the story perfectly. It shows Minilla what everyone else sees his father as, as a monster, and that shows that he isn't perfect. Like how actual parents aren't perfect, they make mistakes. This is like...the worst take, this is what I expect of Nostalgia Critic

Godzilla literally defends his son against the Kamacuras, Kumonga, & Gabara in the same vein. "Gabara isn't real" neither are the movies themselves but that is more dipped in reality than that "criticism"
Last edited by FatBaconUnicorn on Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

392 was very, very good, right off the bat. You can tell Alex knows the Science Patrol chemistry like the back of his hand so you get each character's personality super quickly. The dialogue was top notch. The match had a solid pace. Monster action was great. The story is probably my favorite of his so far, and fits a Showa plotline perfectly. Hayata has a fantastic arc in this, learning that sometimes its better NOT to fight as Ultraman, but... it does have a few noticeable problems.
Spoiler:
For the human side of the story, the extended cast outside Hayata is ignored by the story's end which is strange given the investment given to each person early on. If the story just focused on Hayata and Ultraman and their respective arcs, solely from Hayata's viewpoint, I don't think I and others would have this complaint.

For the monster side of the story, I think here is where the match is held up from being one of the greats. The action, again, is superb with Gomora and Minilla's relationship being a great foundation for the match (though I wish Gomora choose to help Minilla or saved him against humans as the catalyst to their relationship instead of Gomora just instinctively choosing to protect Minilla). What hampers this match for me is that Godzilla's blind rage felt off, especially since Godzilla sees humans taking Minilla away, and while Gomora's death is certainly tragic, it fails to come to anything in regard to Minilla's character as he leaves with Godzilla. A sequel can definitely help with this, pitting Minilla against Showa Godzilla in some type of conflict, but for this match, it felt like Gomora's death as tragic as it was, was ultimately pointless toward Minilla and only galvanized Godzilla. Which then counters the whole arc of Hayata being not to fight as not fighting as Ultraman means more people will die.

Knowing Hayata's arc, having Gomora peacefully leave with Minilla better supplements that end compared to, Hayata realizes he shouldn't fight only to not fight and create a monster that wants to end humanity.
Okay, so in regards to your criticism of Godzilla feeling blind rage feeling off. I don't think you know how a good number of parents act when their child is in danger or even the possibility of it happening. Allow me to tell you all a story when it came to my mom when I was a child.
Spoiler:
In the second grade, my first day in it was when I was trying to figure out when lunch was, I asked the teacher when it was and poked her a few times, because she wasn't listening. She practically yelled at me to where it caused me to be depressed to point where I wouldn't get off the couch. My mom found out and went straight for her. The teacher tried mocking me to my mom by poking her repeatedly and my mom immediately locked her in her grip and nearly snapped her fingers. Then shortly after, I got moved to a different class.
Point is, parents can fly into a blind rage when it comes to their children being threatened. Godzilla should be no exception here. Particularly after the arc he went through in Son, and keep in mind. This is an AU. Godzilla doesn't know that humanity has "improved" in his eyes. He's still weary of them and Minilla is so new to him. And when he saw Minilla being ripped straight from his arms, what does he do? He does what every caring parent does and goes straight for them, extremely pissed off at the world.

As for the criticism for Minilla "not standing up to Godzilla" after Gomora's death? What do you expect him to do? He's literally conflicted! Minilla is not gonna abandon his father or try to kill him. He's still a baby! This is his first experience towards the death of a loved one and on top of that, he's seeing how others see his father. As someone who has rage. Of course he's not gonna do anything! He's traumatized and is only going with his father, because he literally has no idea what to do. His mind isn't gonna be clear for a while. Along with the fact, that he's realizing parents aren't perfect. Mine sure as hell aren't and I'm pretty everyone else will say the same thing.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

FatBaconUnicorn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:36 pm
Spoiler:
What hampers this match for me is that Godzilla's blind rage felt off, especially since Godzilla sees humans taking Minilla away,
Spoiler:
So do you just like not know what a parent will do to protect their child?"
Just to clarify my opinion, I do understand the rage Godzilla experiences, I just don't think it warranted the end result of said anger.

Humanity stole Minilla, not Gomora. And Gomora did nothing to Minilla to warrant Godzilla's aggression. If, for instance, Gomora was teaching Minilla to stand up to humanities aggression, and maybe training him, I'd buy Godzilla kicking the crap out of him by misunderstanding what was going on. So Godzilla killing Gomora outright feels a tad extreme, especially for this being Showa. And especially when Minilla, who is safe, tries to deescalate the situation. If Mothra can stop a more animalistic showa from killing Rodan, why wouldn't he trust his son more? The most social Godzilla in the franchise. A monster that befriends past enemies, enemies that mind you tried to kill him, and can judge most monsters upon meeting them, like he did with Jet Jaguar.

Heisei, whose main characteristic is constantly being pissed, I buy killing anyone no matter what. For Showa, I just can't bridge that gap for my view of Showa Godzilla.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Greyshot151 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:32 pm
FatBaconUnicorn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:36 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
So do you just like not know what a parent will do to protect their child?"
If Mothra can stop a more animalistic showa from killing Rodan, why wouldn't he trust his son more? The most social Godzilla in the franchise. A monster that befriends past enemies, enemies that mind you tried to kill him, and can judge most monsters upon meeting them, like he did with Jet Jaguar.
Probably because Mothra wasn't Godzilla's daughter. Godzilla didn't know what being a dad felt like at that point—but by the time Match 392 takes place, that had all changed. Minya was kidnapped right out of Godzilla's arms, and the King of the Monsters was pushed to the point of desperation to keep his child completely safe.

And Alex's story above is a perfect example of what a parent will do for their child when pushed to that kind of point.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Pròiseilvenator
Yojimbo

Post by Pròiseilvenator »

Match 393:

Wow --- well done fight for one hell of an anticipated match up. I've been wanting to see this one done since I first found KWC!
Spoiler:
Not the winner I wanted, but this was done quite well! There were a few grammatical issues that took me out of it early on, but after the fight got underway I rarely noticed.

Kudos to the author for putting together some truly memorable scenes! The decapitation was just brilliant, and Destroyah's response to the offer was very well written.

I think the author excelled with portraying the characters, which is the highest praise I can give out. My preferred kaiju may not have won, but damn was this a great match with back and forth that made both combatants look good.

Definitely looking forward to more from Freese!