The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by Greyshot151 »

Finally caught up with the newest match, and I rather liked it. Honestly, I think there are plenty of matches that would benefit from being shorter, and this match held a solid pace, & my attention, for most of its runtime. Good action, no issues grammatically, and a nice tease of things to come at the end. It's far better than some of my early matches, and I'm excited to see future material from you Dunkeeni.

If I do have a complaint/recommendation, it would be at the uniqueness of the battle. Taking place on the moon is different, but I'd recommend a unique finisher or action sequence that pushes the powers of the combatants to their limits. Like Orochi's destructive presence instigating a natural disaster, like a meteor shower, and seeing how each monster reacts.

Now for the banner, I think this is one of Dao's weaker submissions. Jet Jaguar vs. Kiryu or Godzilla vs. Orochi: Round 2 this is not. Orochi is fine, but I do agree with the general consensus of Dogora being rather flat. Each of those monsters are limited in their models/figures, so I understand the difficulty in crafting a banner with the pair, but the flatness coupled with the text clipping at the top of the banner is hard to not notice.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Greyshot151 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:17 pm Finally caught up with the newest match, and I rather liked it. Honestly, I think there are plenty of matches that would benefit from being shorter, and this match held a solid pace, & my attention, for most of its runtime. Good action, no issues grammatically, and a nice tease of things to come at the end. It's far better than some of my early matches, and I'm excited to see future material from you Dunkeeni.

If I do have a complaint/recommendation, it would be at the uniqueness of the battle. Taking place on the moon is different, but I'd recommend a unique finisher or action sequence that pushes the powers of the combatants to their limits. Like Orochi's destructive presence instigating a natural disaster, like a meteor shower, and seeing how each monster reacts.

Now for the banner, I think this is one of Dao's weaker submissions. Jet Jaguar vs. Kiryu or Godzilla vs. Orochi: Round 2 this is not. Orochi is fine, but I do agree with the general consensus of Dogora being rather flat. Each of those monsters are limited in their models/figures, so I understand the difficulty in crafting a banner with the pair, but the flatness coupled with the text clipping at the top of the banner is hard to not notice.
I appreciate the feedback Grey, and OMG WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THE METEOR SHOWER IDEA!

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Dunkeeni wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:10 pm I appreciate the feedback Grey, and OMG WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THE METEOR SHOWER IDEA!
Yeah, like Orochi summons the meteor shower to eviscerate Dogora, only for Dogora to consume the shower, growing in mass until he exceedes what Orochi can contend with.

And if the two don't have powers you can bounce off of each other with, change the environment. Like Ebirah vs. King Kong where water pressure comes to Ebirah's aide.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Greyshot151 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:14 pm
Dunkeeni wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:10 pm I appreciate the feedback Grey, and OMG WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THE METEOR SHOWER IDEA!
Yeah, like Orochi summons the meteor shower to eviscerate Dogora, only for Dogora to consume the shower, growing in mass until he exceedes what Orochi can contend with.

And if the two don't have powers you can bounce off of each other with, change the environment. Like Ebirah vs. King Kong where water pressure comes to Ebirah's aide.
I am ashamed that I never even thought of that for a second lol.

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

So, the big moratorium on Shin Ultraman spoilers is up. I'm still gonna put it behind a spoiler, but it was on the front page from a Godzilla Battle Line update so I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone.
Spoiler:
So we're not getting Shin Zetton, right?

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

CommanderPhoenix wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 pm So, the big moratorium on Shin Ultraman spoilers is up. I'm still gonna put it behind a spoiler, but it was on the front page from a Godzilla Battle Line update so I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm not qualified for this kind of stuff, but judging by how Godzilla Earth isn't allowed for obvious reasons, I would say no, since Zetton is way bigger than anything in the KWC. But now I must ask, is Mefilas going to join the KWC

Pròiseilvenator
Yojimbo

Post by Pròiseilvenator »

Was finally able to read match 396. Great work Dunkeeni.
Spoiler:
I tend to prefer longer matches, though there's certainly a time and place for shorter bouts. I feel like you nailed it in terms of good action sequence for a shorter match --- everything mattered and the order of events made sense.

I definitely enjoyed this one. A couple turns of phrase I wasn't in love with and I didn't get the winner I wanted, but everything else was smashing. I dug what you were doing with the introduction, and even though I've learned to always expect a comeback, the fake defeat actually got me. I especially loved the little bits where you made the lunar setting matter with the soundless roars and floating blood.

I mirror Greyshot's thoughts on match endings, but Dogora lends itself so well to the direction that you went in. I think you did both monsters justice (which is important!) and provided a good addition to the KWC library.
I'm certainly excited to see what else you end up contributing!

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Pròiseilvenator wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:08 pm Was finally able to read match 396. Great work Dunkeeni.
Spoiler:
I tend to prefer longer matches, though there's certainly a time and place for shorter bouts. I feel like you nailed it in terms of good action sequence for a shorter match --- everything mattered and the order of events made sense.

I definitely enjoyed this one. A couple turns of phrase I wasn't in love with and I didn't get the winner I wanted, but everything else was smashing. I dug what you were doing with the introduction, and even though I've learned to always expect a comeback, the fake defeat actually got me. I especially loved the little bits where you made the lunar setting matter with the soundless roars and floating blood.

I mirror Greyshot's thoughts on match endings, but Dogora lends itself so well to the direction that you went in. I think you did both monsters justice (which is important!) and provided a good addition to the KWC library.
I'm certainly excited to see what else you end up contributing!
Thanks man!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

It was a pretty good match with a few neat things like the way the enemy died.

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

I know I’ve sent a lot of messages here lately, but I am truly grateful everyone has been enjoying my first match. Admittedly, it’s not my best one, but I’m glad you guys like it nonetheless.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Dunkeeni wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:42 pm I know I’ve sent a lot of messages here lately, but I am truly grateful everyone has been enjoying my first match. Admittedly, it’s not my best one, but I’m glad you guys like it nonetheless.
Hope to see your writing skills sharpen and you get better at this (I know it helped my writing).

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

HillyHulk wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:19 pm
Dunkeeni wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:42 pm I know I’ve sent a lot of messages here lately, but I am truly grateful everyone has been enjoying my first match. Admittedly, it’s not my best one, but I’m glad you guys like it nonetheless.
Hope to see your writing skills sharpen and you get better at this (I know it helped my writing).
Thanks

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 pm
CommanderPhoenix wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 pm So, the big moratorium on Shin Ultraman spoilers is up. I'm still gonna put it behind a spoiler, but it was on the front page from a Godzilla Battle Line update so I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm not qualified for this kind of stuff, but judging by how Godzilla Earth isn't allowed for obvious reasons, I would say no, since Zetton is way bigger than anything in the KWC. But now I must ask, is Mefilas going to join the KWC
I think Mephilas is the most likely to get in out of the remaining Shin Ultraman combatants.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:17 pm
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think Mephilas is the most likely to get in out of the remaining Shin Ultraman combatants.
He better, I'm losing inspiration for making matches (Only two of mine are accepted, if no response in a month means so), but man I could have some fun with Mefilas.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spoiler:
Mefilas added to the KWC? That's my favorite phrase!

RIP Evan.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Yay, King Kong won... against my favorite G:TS monster.

In all honesty, the match taking place in the mutation arena was cool, having King Kong fight in there was cool, but I just didn't like seeing my boy King Cobra lose. Giving the match a 5/10.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
But that banner was fire, Landon outdid himself there.
Last edited by CamtheGodzillafan on Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

This was a pretty good match
Spoiler:
(I should think about making one of my own arena style match like the few we've had already...hmm...)
Last edited by HillyHulk on Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Pretty solid fight. Think this one is from another new writer, though I'm not 100% sure.
Spoiler:
Glad we're getting more matches that take place in an arena esc. area, though I'm still hoping we get another taking place in the Atari boxing ring down the line.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Fun bout, short and sweet and the whole gladiator esque combat added a fun flair to it.
Spoiler:
Like the slight bittersweet feeling of the ending. Kong won, but he is still a prisoner, at the mercy of these people who make a spectacle of his life & death struggle.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Glad to see everyone enjoying this match!

This was one of mine, and I'm happy to see how it turned out (my OCD brain twitching with every typo aside lol)

I'm surprised no one seemed to pick up this is specifically
Spoiler:
the Mutant Arena from the finale of Godzilla The Series....though it doesn't help I only found out after submitting it's Max Spiel , not Spigel. My fault for going off memory :p
godjacob wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:20 am
Spoiler:
Like the slight bittersweet feeling of the ending. Kong won, but he is still a prisoner, at the mercy of these people who make a spectacle of his life & death struggle.
Yeah, I really wanted to make it clear
Spoiler:
despite the crowd cheering him on, he is not anywhere close to in a good place. Though if he stays trapped as a gladiator forever.....stay tuned ;)

RIP Evan.