The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Admittedly, this is an old match; but back then I did write some of the sentences too long with no semicolons or other means of dividing them.

Other than that, though, I hope you all enjoy it. :Rodan56:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The story continues (and most likely concludes)
Spoiler:
And in such bittersweet fashion no less! This is a prettycool fight about Earth’s natural kaiju going up against mutankind. Alas, when it comes to the fact that both sides have something to defend, it can only end in tragedy. No real winners here it seems..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

You know i wonder in the new match. What did Rodan do to make all the dakaiju that mad

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Was not expecting a sequel to #306 of all matches, but it shouldn't be surprising now that I think about it. In my opinion, this is one of the best story-driven matches with purely kaiju and no humans.

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

The feedback and awards surveys are here!
Spoiler:
Shin Ultraman kaiju, Gigan Miles, and even Daimajin aren't too surpising from the teaser images, but Mt. Lady? That's a shocker to me.

kaijufanforever
G-Force Personnel

Post by kaijufanforever »

CommanderPhoenix wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:45 am The feedback and awards surveys are here!
Spoiler:
Shin Ultraman kaiju, Gigan Miles, and even Daimajin aren't too surpising from the teaser images, but Mt. Lady? That's a shocker to me.
I know, right. That took me for a loop

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

CommanderPhoenix wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:45 am The feedback and awards surveys are here!
Spoiler:
Two other kaiju are all teased, not going to say due to the spoiler ban.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Oddly excited for Mt. Lady. Wasn't into the idea initially, but she scratches that "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" itch, which is kind of nostalgic... She's just more modern. And anime.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Spoiler:
Ayy, Daimajin! We finally have another Kadokawa kaiju!

Mount Lady is also a surprised, but if a match with her has any spoilers for MHA I may have to skip it. I'm not caught up yet. :lol: And of course, Neronga and Gabora will also make welcome addition!

Also quite notable that is the first poll in a while where we don't vote for a new monster to make it in, but considering there's already a boatload who haven't got in yet, I think that's okay.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

The match was alright, about time Dogora won, it's only been a few years. Honestly, an alright way to open the year up, I'm never a big fan of Dogora matches, and with it being a short match, I would say at best it's alright for a match. An ending like that for a short match doesn't really stick well with me either. I'll give the match a 5/10.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Regarding the surveys, the question of "new monsters outside of toho jurisdiction"....

Don't we have the KWCE for that? I feel like with a recently teased addition at the end of the awards survey, and Rayquaza (who avoids this issue mostly but should be brought up) clashing with the realistic art style usually seen in the banners, I feel like the line between KWCE and KWC is being blurred.
I know that we're never getting things like... Bowser, Gipsy Danger (the Toho-Towa stuff is a can of worms on it's own) and other things in the KWC, but I feel these two in particular due to having no live action rendition (Rayquaza came close in Detective Pikachu apparently!), is there a fear between the higher ups of these metaphorical lines being blurred, both in terms of art style and fighters who should really only be in the KWCE?
Last edited by Moth on Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The new match wasn't the best, but it was a fair attempt from who appears to be a new writer.
Spoiler:
It'll be neat to see whether or not that cliffhanger with Winters actually goes somewhere.
One other thing is the banner. Dogora looks kinda off. I know it was ripped straight from Planet of the Monsters, but it kinda just looks like Orochi is fighting a cardboard cutout.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Moth wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:12 am both in terms of art style and fighters who should really only be in the KWCE?
Art style isn’t a concern because (1: we won’t add anything that doesn’t have a proper 3D model to work with (even if it is just figures, modern figures tend to be real high quality, no jank-ass Cyber Godzilla in banners for anything new we have in mind) and (2: We have talented banner makers who know how to compose a banner such that a difference in style isn’t too jarring.

“Fighters who should only be in the KWCE” is incredibly subjective. Nobody is going to agree on what exactly that means. New monsters go through rigorous discussion among staff, and let me tell you from experience, our staff is not a homogeneous bunch that all just immediately agree unless it’s something like “is the sky blue” (and even then I’m not sure, lol). We are very careful about new combatants, and while yes not everyone who reads and writes for the KWC is going to accept every one of them, we just ask that an open mind is kept and that y’all understand we don’t just draw names out of a hat and go “add them to the roster”.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

So I haven't finished the newest match yet, but I can at least help clarify the following:
Moth wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:12 am Regarding the surveys, the question of "new monsters outside of toho jurisdiction"....

Don't we have the KWCE for that?
Yes and that is probably not changing. While I'm not making decisions about the K.W.C. since my step away from the site last May, I do know Anthony was rather absolute about not including non-Toho IP. Matches that have had direct references to other IP, like Rhiahn vs. Attack Titan, were changed because of their overt use of non-Toho characters.

I do wonder about the inclusion of said question, because I don't think Anthony seeing 99% of fans wanting non-Toho characters is going to get him to budge because yeah, that result is obvious, especially for specific IP like the Jaegers of Pacific Rim.
Moth wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:12 am ...is there a fear between the higher ups of these metaphorical lines being blurred, both in terms of art style and fighters who should really only be in the KWCE?
And again, with my explanation above, there shouldn't really be any fear. Because the KWCE has non-Toho stuff while the KWC only has Toho stuff. I don't think that line will be broken.

As for art styles, I get that fear, but so long as there are workable models and proper direction for said artists, it should be fine. Like GvR said.
Last edited by Greyshot151 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Greyshot151 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:24 am
Yes and that is probably not changing. While I'm not making decisions about the K.W.C. since my step away from the site last May, I do know Anthony was rather absolute about not including non-Toho IP. Matches that have had direct references to other IP, like Rhiahn vs. Attack Titan, were changed because of their overt use of non-Toho characters.

I do wonder about the inclusion of said question, because I don't think Anthony seeing 99% of fans wanting non-Toho characters is going to get him to budge because yeah, that result is obvious, especially for specific IP like the Jaegers of Pacific Rim.
It’s not referring to stuff like Pacific Rim, it means stuff like Ultraman/Gamera/Monster Hunter, where there is a connection but it isn’t a Toho property. It’s essentially asking if we should try to branch out more into stuff Toho is connected to but doesn’t own and search for more things Toho is connected to, or keep more in the umbrella of Toho’s direct properties.

Added in 4 minutes 1 second:
Also, the new match, it’s a fun little romp, solid first match for a new writer and with some entertaining action, great usage of Dogora.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:38 am It’s not referring to stuff like Pacific Rim, it means stuff like Ultraman/Gamera/Monster Hunter, where there is a connection but it isn’t a Toho property.
Also, the new match, it’s a fun little romp, solid first match for a new writer and with some entertaining action, great usage of Dogora.
My bad. Totally misremembered the question and based on context, assumed it was implying for usage of Toho's distribution library. But yeah, if Toho has a hand in its distribution, the KWC has access. The KWCE is for EVERYTHING else.
Last edited by Greyshot151 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I mostly mean like, in terms of "Fighters who should only be in the KWCE", I mean ones like the "new monsters outside of Toho jurisdiction from Monster Hunter, Ultraman, etc".

The art style concern is separate from this and while I see Rayquaza himself fitting real well in banners, I have a hard time seeing the same happen with the newest addition. But I trust the banner team to make it work enough. I'm happy they're in there and hope it opens the door to even more anime fighters in the future.

I'm mostly saying is, I don't think that monsters from things not distributed by Toho, even if they're connected to Toho distributed media like Gamera and Ultraman, should be in the KWC if they already have a home in the KWCE.

I'm fine not having Ultraman Belial, Gurion, Zinogre and things like the Mass Produced Evas in the KWC if I can already use them freely in the KWCE. I dunno, I'm in a minority about this I bet. It's really hard to word how I feel? I just think allowing the examples I've named above and their contemporaries just blurs the line between the KWC and KWCE too much for my liking, and I feel like Toho would have enough for more fighters without dipping into that.
Last edited by Moth on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:38 am
Greyshot151 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:24 am

It’s not referring to stuff like Pacific Rim, it means stuff like Ultraman/Gamera/Monster Hunter, where there is a connection but it isn’t a Toho property. It’s essentially asking if we should try to branch out more into stuff Toho is connected to but doesn’t own and search for more things Toho is connected to, or keep more in the umbrella of Toho’s direct properties.

Thank you. To say I was stunned when I opened Toho Kingdom today is the understatement of the century lol. and big thanks to Andrew for editing and Dao for making the banner!

Added in 3 minutes 57 seconds:
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:22 am The match was alright, about time Dogora won, it's only been a few years. Honestly, an alright way to open the year up, I'm never a big fan of Dogora matches, and with it being a short match, I would say at best it's alright for a match. An ending like that for a short match doesn't really stick well with me either. I'll give the match a 5/10.
Thank you. And for the ending, yeah I’ll admit I’m not fond of it either. I really just put that little ending bit there as kind of a “oh maybe I’ll come back to this in the future”. But I’m glad for the criticism.
Last edited by Dunkeeni on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Sorry it took me a while to give my two cents; winter term college has had me holed up.

Anywho, I thought this match was a decent start for a new writer. It may have been a tad shorter than one might expect, but I don’t see that as that big of a takeaway. It was still well-written and described, with satisfying action, good grammar and punctuation, and a delightfully brutal ending.

Welcome to the KWC, Declan Coughlin!
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

A nice short and sweet clash and a good debut overall. Wish the new writer luck~!