The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

Spoiler:
I almost feel bad for Mechagodzilla with how one sided that fight was… Almost.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
This match may very well have a new record for being the shortest and most one-sided massacre in the entire KWC—and I can’t fault it for that.

It’s shortness and MechaGodzilla’s quick defeat made it entertaining in its own unique, somewhat funny way.

And I like it for that.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Spoiler:
The fact that Ganimes lasted longer against Utsuno than Mechagodzilla is the funniest thing ever

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Spoiler:
Well, that didn't last very long. :lol:

A pretty short fight, but it works. The banner does look a bit.. off, though. I think you can still see the outlines of "Godzilla" in the image and the ray attack also looks kinda weird.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Well that was a slaughter. That's all I have to say.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Still need to catch up with the past 2 matches, I think I mentioned my thoughts on Legendary G vs. Trilopods, but found the time for this one and... found it a bit forgettable.

I do think the banner by Matt is the best part. Wish he could have maybe matched the explosion color a little better to Mechagodzilla's blast, but the lighting and action is kinetic and for the most part, great.

A bit underwhelmed by the battle though. Utsuno being overpowered is nothing new, and while I see comparisons to Utsuno vs. Gamines, I think what helped that match was a unique setting, perspective and the characters. Here, Mechagodzilla is clearly outmatched but there isn't enough focus on that gap in power to give this battle its own take or something special to latch onto like Utsuno installing fear into Mechagodzilla.

I could go one, but put simply for a battle, it lacks any unique substance making the action kinda bland. If you want Utsuno killing another monster, I guess this will suffice. For me, I'm probably not going to remember this like Birdman's other far superior submissions.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Greyshot151 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:06 am Still need to catch up with the past 2 matches, I think I mentioned my thoughts on Legendary G vs. Trilopods, but found the time for this one and... found it a bit forgettable.

I do think the banner by Matt is the best part. Wish he could have maybe matched the explosion color a little better to Mechagodzilla's blast, but the lighting and action is kinetic and for the most part, great.

A bit underwhelmed by the battle though. Utsuno being overpowered is nothing new, and while I see comparisons to Utsuno vs. Gamines, I think what helped that match was a unique setting, perspective and the characters. Here, Mechagodzilla is clearly outmatched but there isn't enough focus on that gap in power to give this battle its own take or something special to latch onto like Utsuno installing fear into Mechagodzilla.

I could go one, but put simply for a battle, it lacks any unique substance making the action kinda bland. If you want Utsuno killing another monster, I guess this will suffice. For me, I'm probably not going to remember this like Birdman's other far superior submissions.
That Vegeta gif just gave me an idea. . .

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Spoiler:
Well, that was a fun match, too bad Gomora lost again, but at least Showa Godzilla made his return, great story, amazing banner, 9/10
Last edited by CamtheGodzillafan on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Humanity does a little trolling.
Spoiler:
I was expecting this match to come sometime in December considering that's when the other picked matches did, but it's nice to see it came a bit earlier this time around! The plot kind of reminds me of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, with the baby Godzilla's "brother" being someone completely unrelated while the actual relative fights them for custody. :lol:

Seems like Godzilla's hatred for mankind has only grown stronger. Something tells me the Science Patrol is gonna be busy with him for a while..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

OH GOD THAT ART

FatBaconUnicorn
JXSDF Technician

Post by FatBaconUnicorn »

This match was fire from start to finish, Alex knocked it out of the park I think my only real grip is that
Spoiler:
the cast just disappears near the end of the story, seemed kinda odd even tho they weren't the focus.
Overall tho a great match with a fantastic banner.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
I will admit that I feel the story ends a tad abruptly, but other than that Bacon is right; Alex absolutely nailed the shit out of this match. If Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II was a Showa film, this is what it’d look like. The story was brilliantly engaging on both human and monster scenes, the lore of both franchises was blended perfectly together, and the action was amongst the roughest in the KWC library.

Like, holy fuck was this an equally savage and heartbreaking custody battle for an innocent child. Minilla’s terror watching two Kaiju he loved and consider family tearing into each other—and by that I mean his dad absolutely murdering Gomora in a fit of rage—genuinely made my heart sink. Gave me some serious Walking Dead Jane vs Kenny vibes. (Hashtag TeamJane)

Splendid work, Alex. You really created a masterpiece with this match. One of if not the best of the year.
Added in 34 minutes 7 seconds:
In the meantime, I'll be patiently waiting for the next KWCC, to hear the full story on this masterpiece of a match. That's one of my favorite things about the KWCC; sort of gives us a behind-the-scenes look at how these matches came to be.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

This match is really good! I greatly enjoy the storyline here, both in how the characters are written and in the conflict between the monsters. Feels just like a movie.

Banner is excellent, art is on point.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Reviewing this one was intense, and I loved it through and through. The emotional core of the story carries the story very well and everyone is on-point in the characterization department. Wonderful through and through!
Spoiler:
While the ending does kinda just end without proper resolution to the human cast, I can understand that it may have lessened the impact of the emotions from the monsters. Plus, from the way I see it, it leaves just enough wiggle room if Alex ever decides to make a sequel to it, which could act as the perfect bouncing pad to get the basic exposition out of the way.
Added in 3 minutes 11 seconds:
And I also want to say, thank you Zid! His banner turned out marvelous, and while I hadn't intended for the retro-poster look like we did with 350, it just suited the style of the story. Plus the man himself was just really fun to cooperate with; although I have a bit of a money obligation that'll be withholding me from commissions for a while, I still hope to squeeze in some over time. :)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Haven't even read the match yet and I'm already in love just from the banner alone.
I know Alex had to have worked his butt off on this one and it shows

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Huh, I wonder what everyone thinks of my new match?

*Goes in to see everyone comparing it to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2*

In all seriousness, I actually didn't even think of that when writing it. It's also even funnier that KaijuX pointed out how it reminded him of the scrapped Godzilla vs. Redmoon concept, which I also didn't think of when writing it. Funny coincidences all around.

I'm very happy y'all are enjoying it. I guess a few things I'll jot down for my "thought process".
Spoiler:
- A good portion of the inspiration for it regarding Gomora, came from our Interrupt the Movie of the Gomora two-parter. Particularly mentioning the horns bleeding and how we all joked Gomora's body is just gonna get desecrated at the end. So, I thought I'd at least spare Gomora from that treatment in my AU of it

- As I said above, this is more or less a fun what if I wanted to do. I thought it could be interesting to explore on how the death of one person, "The Prince of Monsters", could literally change the outcome of an event and even the actions of others. With the way the story turned out, things might have gotten worse, particularly with Godzilla.

- I'm sure all of you know me, especially the ones in the discord, as the person who basically writes "movie" length matches. It just tends to be my style and I really love getting to know the world and characters involved. Plus, keeping the fight(s) relatively short, so they can be a bit more impactful and doesn't feel like I'm overextending myself. I know others are way better at making longer fights more exciting and interesting. But not the point! I decided to experiment a little, by putting on my "60s Tsuburaya" thinking cap and making this the length of an Ultraman two-parter. That's why you see stuff like the Kamacuras cameo, monsters sprinkled throughout doing stuff that would fit the general pace and only one big fight at the end.

- Regarding the abrupt ending. That is a very valid criticism and one I agree on, but like KaijuX said, I thought it would have taken away from the emotional moment between the three monsters. I did have something in mind for the other SSSP members, but scrapped it because it felt like it was an interruption that would break the moment at least for me. So, it's basically a case of the "What do you do?"

- As for squeakquels? Maybe, I haven't put too much thought into it. I mainly took on the request because I like the idea of how one person dying can drastically change everything, the relationship between Gomora and Minilla, and the two title monsters being manipulated to fight each other.
Once again, I'm really happy you guys are enjoying. Thank you all so much!
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just read it and I loved every sentence, every word of it! I aspire to make something just as good as this one day.

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:34 pm Just read it and I loved every sentence, every word of it! I aspire to make something just as good as this one day.
Hey man, you already are. You should strive to be even better (in a positive way, not an egotistical way). And I'm striving to be as good as you two! It's just a totem of vibes.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Okay the banner alone makes this a 10/10 fantastic art.
Spoiler:
Match was incredibly exciting. Have to admit I rolled my eyes a bit at Showa Godzilla being accepted as I felt we had enough Godzilla, but have to say matches like this have made me eat the full can of worms. Such a fun combatant to watch and this fight might be one of my favs.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

I feel like an asshole for forgetting it in my initial post.

Thank you so, SO MUCH to KaijuX and Zid for the banner!

Thank you KaijuX for commissioning it and thank you Zid for making a such an awe inspiring, beautiful banner.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!