Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by LegendZilla »

A while ago, it occurred to me that King Ceasar is a more masculine alternative to Mothra.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

So I rewatched GvMG for the first time in a while today and I don't know if I'm crazy but I swear this is intentional. So we all know the scene where the Keisuke and Nanbara break into the aliens' base by forcing one who was initially holding Keisuke at gunpoint to give the door password right? Well, a few minutes later Nanbara, the professor, and Masahiko return to the base and recite the password to a guard. Guess who opens it? That's right, I swear its the same guy! This would imply that the alien survived being incapacitated and having his clothes stolen, then soon after open the door without hesitation to the same person! Did this just fly over my head the last few times I saw the movie? Does everyone know about this? Comparison pics:

ImageImage
Last edited by Andagi1 on Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched the movie a few days ago myself, and I did notice it. As it's a movie, I don't give it much thought. Movies and logic don't always mix.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

wow its funny how the lady thought it was king ghidorah who was going to attack
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :mechagodzilla1993: :mechagodzilla1993:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Goji wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 am
Chimpbot wrote:This flick suffers from a problem which initially began in Gigan, was exacerbated in Megalon and continued through the end of the Showa series. Much like many of the fights

Also, most of the final battles in the 60's took place outside of cities too..just saying.
The only final battle in a Showa Godzilla film taking pace in the city is GRA.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Though some of them start in cities, or a first fight will be in a city or industrial area.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I love the way King Caesar is filmed. Whoever the suit actor was did a great job, too lazy to look it up right now.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:21 pm I love the way King Caesar is filmed. Whoever the suit actor was did a great job, too lazy to look it up right now.
Kinichi Kusumi wore the suit.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I like GvsMG but it's definitely toward the bottom of my Showa favorites. MG is awesome and the score kicks all sorts of ass, but there really isn't anything else in the movie for me to latch on to.

Terror is better written, it's better directed, the characters are more interesting and the ending is so damn powerful. Meanwhile, I still see GvsMG debates about whether or not some of the main protagonists even survive. It's definitely the less focused of the two movies. There are too many humans running around shooting each other, the narrative botches King Ceasar completely and theres a whole stretch in the middle that runs out of gas for a long time.

Also, I dont understand the notion that MG is "dumbed down" in the second film. It's clearly more powerful but it's just being held back intentionally by the aliens hoping that Titanosaurus and Godzilla will kill each other on their own. Every time MG does attack something (whether it's the city or Godzilla) it's devastating. And the idea that MG is unstoppable and is only defeated because one of the main cast members has to kill herself after watching her own father die nukes anything that GvsMG even tries to do.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue May 03, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G vs MG plays out like a spy thriller and action film. If viewed through that lens, it's effective. The sequel is better written and acted, but G vs MG is the more entertaining of the two.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I totally get what the movie is trying to be and it still doesn't work for me the way Terror does.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:53 am Also, I dont understand the notion that MG is "dumbed down" in the second film. It's clearly more powerful but it's just being held back intentionally by the aliens hoping that Titanosaurus and Godzilla will kill each other on their own. Every time MG does attack something (whether it's the city or Godzilla) it's devastating. And the idea that MG is unstoppable and is only defeated because one of the main cast members has to kill herself after watching her own father die nukes anything that GvsMG even tries to do.
I think the Aliens would've backstabbed Mafune and used MG to kill Titanosaurus had they actually defeated Godzilla.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mugan said it himself:

"All right, we'll let them fight. Titanosaurus will be killed and Godzilla badly hurt. Then Mechagodzilla will be alone. And we will march on Tokyo unopposed."
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed May 04, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:41 am Mugan said it himself:

"All right, we'll let them fight."
OMG! MonsterVerse Serizawa was actually a Black Hole Alien all along! No wonder his son was controlling MG!
Last edited by eabaker on Wed May 04, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The last three or four times I've watched this movie, I feel a build-up of excitement during the first twenty or so minutes, and then somewhere around the boat sequence (no specific scene, sometimes during or sometimes after) it slows down too much and I find my interest waning so that by the monster fights I am almost too cashed out to feel invested. The first time I thought I'd just picked a bad night to watch, but now it's been multiple rewatches later and it always plays out this way.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I have a similar reaction every time I watch. I spend the first act thinking "Wow, this is one of the best Godzilla movies, I underrate this one." Then the wholly unnecessary boat scene arrives and GvMG becomes possibly the slowest Godzilla movie for the second act. I still enjoy the climax but the 30-odd minutes in the middle result in this being one of the lower-tier Showa movies for me.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah this is my least favorite 70s Godzilla film. It's also easily the least interesting. Hedorah is an experiential masterpiece. Gigan is goofy as hell. Megalon is endearing in its cheapness. And Terror is a moody, dramatic send-off. Mechagodzilla is fun but it doesn't have the draw the other films do, outside of the monster battles and score.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mechagodzilla is very sloppy in a lot of ways, but I'd give it points for sheer flash. I was really impressed with the level of spectacle on my last viewing. In that regard, it definitely ranks above the more sluggish action of Hedorah and Gigan.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Action scenes are GvMG's saving grace for sure. Well, that and the music. If this film had lackluster action and was scored by Riichiro Manabe a less talented composer than Masaru Sato, it would be a bottom-barrel Godzilla movie.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy