The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:09 pmWhat's your solution when they make a bulletproof dinosaur that knows how to follow orders?
Tanks, rocket launchers, bombs, grenades, missiles, any weapons above those. As if they'd be impenetrable to those.

I'll repeat again.

"Humans have a buttload of weapons and firearms".

Dinosaurs, as if they're these unstoppable monsters when they're just like any other animals.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:10 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:09 pmWhat's your solution when they make a bulletproof dinosaur that knows how to follow orders?
Tanks, rocket launchers, bombs, grenades, missiles, any weapons above those. As if they'd be impenetrable to those.

I'll repeat again.

"Humans have a buttload of weapons and firearms".

Dinosaurs, as if they're these unstoppable monsters when they're just like any other animals.
The dinosaurs are animals yes, the genetic structure they present isn't.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Wasn't Indoraptor partially bulletproof?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Jurassic Park franchise keeps its record! It's the only long-running film franchise where I like every single entry! Not even Godzilla can lay claim to that feat.

All these negative reviews had me worried I might be walking into another Rise of Skywalker situation. I'm very glad that my worries were unfounded. It's just the internet hating on the JP series, as is usual. This is a very solid entry in the Jurassic Park franchise – for my money the best of the World Trilogy.

Some awkward dialogue and editing prevent it from reaching the heights of The Lost World, but Dominion's true strength lies in its human cast, and their interactions and journeys over the course of this six film series. The dinosaurs and the themes about playing god aren't the focus this time around; the film instead prioritizes taking things slow in order to spend time with its sizable roster of characters. Though it takes a while to get going, things ramp up considerably by the second half of the film, and we're treated to some great action sequences. The Malta chase is a new series highlight.

I was also beyond pleased to see all the animatronics on display. After their disappointing absence in Jurassic World (with the only animatronic in that film being the dying apatosaurus), it was great to see animatronics return in all their glory. Jurassic Park may have revolutionized CGI, but its practical effects by Stan Winston are the reason it holds up so well to this day, and I'm so glad this movie honors that tradition.

This was clearly a movie made with love and affection for both the franchise and its fans. What a joyful experience.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-w ... 235042811/

Yep, definitely not hitting a billion. Yes sir indeed.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Just got out of Dominion.

Very disappointing film.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:27 pm The Jurassic Park franchise keeps its record! It's the only long-running film franchise where I like every single entry! Not even Godzilla can lay claim to that feat.
There are 6 Jurassic Park films and 36 Godzilla movies. Not really fair to compare.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:43 pm
Spuro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:27 pm The Jurassic Park franchise keeps its record! It's the only long-running film franchise where I like every single entry! Not even Godzilla can lay claim to that feat.
There are 6 Jurassic Park films and 36 Godzilla movies. Not really fair to compare.
I only compare them because they represent my two favorite franchises, not by the number of movies made.

Other big movie franchises I enjoy, all with much less content than what Godzilla has to offer, tend to have at least ONE film in the lineup that I don't really like.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Dyrakro has made some pretty good points here. The movie has flaws but I don’t find them detrimental in any way.

My thoughts –
Spoiler:
I didn’t know what to expect going into this. I enjoyed the previous Jurassic World films (I was one of the few who genuinely enjoyed Fallen Kingdom) but couldn’t help but feel this would be the ‘Rise of Skywalker’ of JP/JW films, which it kind of is and isn’t.

It’s busy with a lot going on, part international action/adventure (Mission: Impossible with dinosaurs) part corporate espionage (back to the original book and movie). But I don’t think it’s the complete incomprehensible mess some (or most, really) are making it out to be.

What surprised me were the dinosaurs taking a major backseat to the locust/Maisie story, which is weird considering it’s, you know, a Jurassic movie (and the last one supposedly). The T. rex, Blue, even the new Giga don’t have much to do in the story.

Including the prologue would’ve helped a tiny bit, setting up the T. rex/Giga rivalry as a battle 65 million years in the making. In the finished film however it just comes across as the obligatory final dinosaur fight for the end of the movie.

The original trio sharing plenty of scenes together was a pleasant surprise, as were the amount of practical dinosaurs. Giacchino delivers another wonderful score.

You can pick apart the logistics of these movies, like holes in a genetic code, but I don’t think there’s anything to get upset or outraged about. If you think any of these six movies are genuinely terrible I don't know what to tell you.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:15 pmYeah, that's my biggest issue with the movie. The past 5 films played with the premise of dinosaurs escaping to the mainland, and FK finally committed to that in the end. But then Dominion throws that away in favor of trying to be the next Gattaca whilst also taking cheap shots against GMOs in a schizophrenic attempt to mean something.
Spoiler:
I didn’t see it that way exactly, Dodgson/Biosyn were just misusing the technology and being greedy (taking out their competitors), which is essentially JP’s main theme. And in the end it’s another kind of GMO locust that saves the day. The dinosaurs are also GMOs themselves and they’re meant to be empathetic. Maisie as well.
Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Spoiler:
Giganotosaurus the predatory dinosaur built up as the ultimate villain, doesn't actually cause a single human fatality. Why?

2 hours of locusts with some dinosaurs for a few minutes. Why?
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Since someone compared recent movies of three particular franchises, imo:
Jurassic World>GVK>Force Awakens>GKOTM>Skull Island>Fallen Kingdom>Rise of Skywalker>Last Jedi>Dominion

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I found myself overall enjoying the film, but there were certain plotlines that bugged me and I thought "this could've been changed to make it more fluid." Definitely wouldn't mind seeing the movie again, but it's not my absolute favorite in the series.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Spoiler:
Were those meant to be the Lost World Rexes at the end?

Now I wish all three Rexes had taken down the Giga.

Because why not in this movie.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:47 am https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-w ... 235042811/

Yep, definitely not hitting a billion. Yes sir indeed.
It probably will but you do know Dr Stange made 40m more opening weekend and that didn't hit 1B.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:04 pmIt probably will but you do know Dr Stange made 40m more opening weekend and that didn't hit 1B.
It made the same opening day as Fallen Kingdom did.

$147 million.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:47 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:04 pmIt probably will but you do know Dr Stange made 40m more opening weekend and that didn't hit 1B.
It made the same opening day as Fallen Kingdom did.

$147 million.
It actually made a little less. Universal is saying 143.37m.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Still expecting a billion regardless.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It was a perfectly entertaining film. The most well rounded of the 3 though I still think the original had higher highs. The Giga was cool but lacked the screen presence of either the Indominus or the Indoraptor. I enjoyed myself and that's the most I could ask for.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Movie has already made almost nearly $400 million.

It's most definitely reaching a billion.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I just realized the difference in tech level between Camp Cretaceous Season 4 and Jurassic World Dominion.

Mantah Corp has robot dogs and holographic biomes. Whilst Biosyn's highest level of modern future tech is underground transports? I guess some of the neurosignals are pretty high tech.

It's pretty hard to rescind something like AI guard dogs once you introduce that though.