The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

For those who care the home video version will include an extended cut with 14 minutes of additional footage.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:33 pm For those who care the home video version will include an extended cut with 14 minutes of additional footage.
Some of that will be the Cretaceous prologue sequence, but I guess it'll be interesting to see what else is included. If we get a nice 4K box set(s) I'll be picking Dominion up. I don't own any Jurassic movie in any format, and that should be corrected.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

As long as there is a 3d blu I'm in

Count Dracula Clone
Ronin

Post by Count Dracula Clone »

I enjoyed the move a lot myself. It’s flawed but not offensively so. The caste are mostly great, the Dinosaurs are spectacular and the story is interesting.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:33 pm For those who care the home video version will include an extended cut with 14 minutes of additional footage.
Will this extended cut be immediately released right away once coming out on blu-ray, dvd and 4k?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I believe so.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Finally saw Jurassic World: Dominion yesterday with my mom. Somewhat not what I expected to deliver but still overall enjoyed it for what it was (Especially when it was in Malta, kinda gave me James Bond/Mission Impossible vibes). Just wished it focused more on the whole dinosaurs and the modern ecosystem given that was what I was expecting.

I'd put it as my fourth favorite this year after Sonic 2, Top Gun: Maverick and The Batman.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:20 pm Microceratus? I didn't realize they had an appearance. What, did they cameo in Dominion?

I still haven't seen it but from what I understand from leaks, they're in the Amber Clave market with 8 in a cage
Spoiler:
and apparently in theflashback k to Sorna

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:10 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:20 pm Microceratus? I didn't realize they had an appearance. What, did they cameo in Dominion?

I still haven't seen it but from what I understand from leaks, they're in the Amber Clave market with 8 in a cage
Spoiler:
and apparently in theflashback k to Sorna
Yeah, I do remember that now. I didn't recognize them. Well, they'll still need a proper appearance where they're climbing around in the trees.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Corrected my little list and reposting because 1) I can't edit my previous post 2) it's a new page and 3) why not.
tbeasley wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:12 pm Because I have no life I think I've tallied together the appearances of all dinosaurs/prehistoric animals in the Jurassic Park/World series, using this table of physical appearances as a basis. So far no species has appeared in all 8 works (the 6 films and 2 short films), but some have gotten close, and which ones might surprise you...
Spoiler:
7 appearances –
- Parasaurolophus
- Pteranodon
- Tyrannosaurus

6 appearances –
- Stegosaurus
- Triceratops
- Velociraptor

5 appearances –
- Ankylosaurus
- Compsognathus
- Gallimimus

4 appearances –
- Brachiosaurus
- Mosasaurus

3 appearances –
- Allosaurus
- Apatosaurus
- Nasutoceratops

2 appearances –
- Baryonyx
- Carnotaurus
- Dilophosaurus
- Dimorphodon
- Dreadnoughtus
- Giganotosaurus
- Iguanodon
- Moros intrepidus
- Quetzalcoatlus
- Sinoceratops
- Stygimoloch

1 appearance –
- Atrociraptor
- Ceratosaurus
- Corythosaurus
- Dimetrodon
- Indominus rex
- Indoraptor
- Lystrosaurus
- Mamenchisaurus
- Microceratus
- Oviraptor
- Pachycephalosaurus
- Pyroraptor
- Spinosaurus
- Therizinosaurus

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

After being on the fence on going to see the movie after some of the critical reviews on YouTube, I finally took the nostalgia bait and went to go see Dominion. Was it as bad as everyone says? I honestly don't think so if you accept that this movie is really about action set pieces over plot. None of the sequels have or will ever come close to Jurassic Park, and I think that this movie understands that. It takes the hand it was given from Fallen Kingdom, which left me with very little confidence in the franchise as a whole, and gives the series a soft landing for conclusion.

Dinosaur scenes in this one sans the final battle in my opinion are a great spectacle, especially in the theater. It was one of the reasons I was led to going to see this movie; my last chance for some Jurassic Park action kn the big screen until the next hiatus ends. Returning characters, particularly the old ones, are very welcome and keep the movie from being too off the rails. I will whole-heartedly admit that the plot of this movie is a bit of a mess (especially when some characters are introduced and never show up again),however, the movie knows that its plot is really there just to move to the next dinosaur action-set piece. There is nothing deeper you are going to get from this movie, but it won't leave your scratching your head like the ending of Fallen Kingdom, which really threw me in a loop.

Could we have gotten a better ending? Sure. Could it have been way worse? Yes as well. Is it truly the worst movie in the franchise? I really don't think so.

5/10

Here is my ranking if all Jurassic Park movies with small notes:

1. Jurassic Park - a classic. Much better than the rest of the series my a good amount.

2. Jurassic Park: The Lost World - may not have the greatest of plots but has some very memorable set pieces and T-Rex action. In my opinion is the one that captures the most wonder and dread for the dinosaurs aside from the OG.

3. Jurassic World - a decent reboot and retread of the original movie. The idea of the Indominus Rex always seemed stupid to me, especially when Gianotosaurus is a thing. Maybe it would have been better if Indominus Rex was switched with Giganotosaurus as villains between this and Dominion. Would have helped Dominion a lot to have a more intimidating dinosaur villain and would be a proper crescendo in dangerous villains from Gianotosaurus and Indo Raptor.

4. Jurassic World: Dominion

5. Jurassic Park 3: little biased but my child self still can't get over Spinosaurus killing T-Rex. Characters are very annoying but will admit some good development in the intelligence of raptors.

6. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: end of this movie really bothered me. Indo Raptor a bit too fantastical and monstrous to seem like a believable animal. The least memorable Jurassic Park movie ever!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

After procrastinating since seeing the movie on the 18th, here's my list of thoughts on it:
Spoiler:
-Like a lot of people, I think the locust plot overshadowed the apsect of dinosaurs lliving with humanity and the impact of all that (which is what this film's supposed to be partly about) on top of just feeling out of place in a dinosaur centered movie.

-I was largely neutral to Masey before, but here I didn't care for her that much due to being a cliched sheltered, angst-ridden teen.

-On the above note, Biosyn has really shitty security seeing as how easily she got out of the lab.

-I enjoyed the moments with Blue and her daughter (and many of the dinosaur scenes in general of course), but I'm now seeing more of what Matt Frank has said about the former's relationship with Owen being more problematical than an actual bond.

-I think the interactions between the new and old cast could've been done a tad better, but they were still great to watch.

-There was something that struck me as flat (for lack of a better word) about Ellie and Grant becoming a couple again. Though it was nice to see that despite their past experiences, they still manage to find beauty and amazement in most of the dinosaurs.

-It's fitting that the Dilophosaurs killed Dodgson seeing as how that was the dinosaur that killed his hired mole 29 years ago.

-I'm not entirely sure Wu earned his redemption.

-Compared to the franchise's other giant theropods, the Giganotosaurus felt a bit underutilized, and its final battle with Rexy (which this movie definitely needed more of) came off as derivative of the I-Rex battle.

-On the above note, it would've been more satisfying to see Rexy finish off the Giga entirely by herself (especially since it's what killed her back in the Cretaceous) to say nothing of getting help from the Therizinosaurus (which certainly earned its keep earlier in the film).

-I agree with what someone on here said about the Buck and Doe being brought back (if it was them Rexy was interacting with at the end) being a missed opportunity.

-I absolutely loved the final set of shots, especially the Sinoceratops walking alongside the elephants. As I said some time ago, I'm all for it ending with peaceful (to a certain extent of course) human, dinosaur co-existence.

-Above all, this film really suffered without that amazing prologue.
So, all in all, I had mixed feelings about it. But not so much that I won't go back for one more viewing.

In regard to the director's cut that we'll be getting with the film's dvd/blu-ray release (which we definitely need), here's what Klayton Fioriti says we should expect from it:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Well looks like Jurassic world Dominion won't be making 1B as the movie is at 877m right now.

Started off strong but it looks like the word of mouth really was bad with this one.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Thank god, I really hope they just leave this franchise alone now.
JW1 may aged like wine and I kinda grew to liking it a lot. But honestly I can't understand people saying Dominion was a good movie. Even as a dinosaur-movie it had so many flaws and problems.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Passed a billion after all.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:33 pm Passed a billion after all.
I want to be shocked, but I am still beyond baffled at how badly they managed to screw this film up.

The minute they said something along the lines of most of the carnivores or dangerous Dinosaurs have already been captured and sent over to biosyn I realized the movie I expected to see already happened offscreen.

An who's bright idea was it after all the jokes made about Fallen Kingdom regarding the Indoraptor and the Laser ordeal being so ridiculous that they decided to bring that idea back for Dominion?
Last edited by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I think it undermines the idea as well. Wasn't Indoraptor genetically engineered and bred to be intelligent and obedient enough to follow the laser sight command?

Whilst Atrociraptor is an actual real dinosaur.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:52 am Thank god, I really hope they just leave this franchise alone now.
JW1 may aged like wine and I kinda grew to liking it a lot. But honestly I can't understand people saying Dominion was a good movie. Even as a dinosaur-movie it had so many flaws and problems.
The problem's that it wasn't even a dinosaur movie. It was some weak sci-fi thriller centered around human cloning and GMOs, which happened to have dinosaurs mixed in.

It's pretty clear Colin did not want to make a dinosaur movie. After all, he cut out what could easily have been the best scene of the whole damn movie.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:25 pm
Dyrakro wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:52 am Thank god, I really hope they just leave this franchise alone now.
The problem's that it wasn't even a dinosaur movie. It was some weak sci-fi thriller centered around human cloning and GMOs, which happened to have dinosaurs mixed in.

It's pretty clear Colin did not want to make a dinosaur movie. After all, he cut out what could easily have been the best scene of the whole damn movie.
The movie didn't even know if it wanted to be about human cloning at the end. Mazzie's creation got retconed and even more confusing lol. I think Jurassic does this on purpose now, a good opening film, a second film that is divisive and then a third film that the majority think sucks and the T-rex gets owned only to turn around and trap again with a good opening film. The next Jurassic film will be great to lure us back in.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:36 pm The movie didn't even know if it wanted to be about human cloning at the end. Mazzie's creation got retconed and even more confusing lol. I think Jurassic does this on purpose now, a good opening film, a second film that is divisive and then a third film that the majority think sucks and the T-rex gets owned only to turn around and trap again with a good opening film. The next Jurassic film will be great to lure us back in.
Damn mate, you mean like this?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Dyrakro on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.