The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by Jermobooka »

Saw it earlier this evening, and I quite enjoyed the movie. Maybe it’s because I’m not really a “fan” of the Jurassic Park films, but I found it to be very entertaining and rounded out the Jurassic World stuff in a neat way.
Spoiler:
Really liked seeing the Therizino and the T-Rex together up against the Giganoto. Not really a combo I would’ve thought of.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I enjoyed Dominion. Dumb movie, but not any dumber than the other two Jurassic Worlds imo. The whole trilogy is pretty much the same level of quality to me, very fun and cool blockbusters that fall apart if you think too hard on them. Still better than Lost World and 3 :P
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Gotta say especially after JW2 and 3, the first one really increased in quality. Sure, it has it's flaws and was already relying a lot on fanservice. But compared to the third it's rather tame. And it's a neat update on what JP1 was.

The dinosaurs are still very animal-like (except the Indo of course but she's a lil different anyway, and the Rex/Raptor team-up is still kinda weird but well, at least the fight is better set-up than the whole Giga - Rex fight in Dominion). And I'd say it's even a core strength for the movie to rather focus on the Indominus Rex instead of giving us yet again how the park fails overall and all dinosaurs run rampage. It's mostly just the Indo running havoc and that's fun!
The huge problem of Dominion imo is, how there are so many dinosaurs that just appear and disappear again. There are barely any scenes which have a lasting impact. The confrontation of the main cast with the Giga and the scene in which
Spoiler:
Dodgson is getting killed by the Dilos (fanservice, I know, but one of the few horror scenes in the movie)
alongside the Claire - Therizino moment are the few that actually sticked with me because they were actually special.

JW2 onwards is where the series lost most of it's charme imo, suddenly we have people with plot-armor, barely any horror (except for the scenes with the Indoraptor, most of them were pretty good and intense) and are even more shoved into your face. Also characters go through major development changes off-screen (Claire becoming an activist, Dr. Wu is suddenly a good man??), you really feel how characters are just written a way how they are needed for this particular film but barely see why they became like this.

Like I kinda enjoyed JW2 and 3 but they feel more like a generic action movie with dinosaurs instead of an actual adventure / horror flick. JW1 feels more like a decent successor than any other part of the trilogy.
Last edited by Dyrakro on Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

It's odd conflicting feelings (first two aside) but I think I would rank the movies like so -
Jurassic Park (1993)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
Jurassic World Dominion (2022)
Jurassic Park III (2001)
Jurassic World (2015)
Last edited by tbeasley on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:52 am It's odd conflicting feelings (first two aside) but I think I would rank the movies like so -
Jurassic Park (1993)
Jurassic Park III (2001)
Jurassic World (2015)
Swap around Jurassic Park 3 and Jurassic World and you basically have my list.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:57 am
tbeasley wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:52 am It's odd conflicting feelings (first two aside) but I think I would rank the movies like so -
Jurassic Park (1993)
Jurassic Park III (2001)
Jurassic World (2015)
Swap around Jurassic Park 3 and Jurassic World and you basically have my list.
Seconded, though I still need to see Dominion

RIP Evan.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Welp, if we’re ranking these…

Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III
Jurassic World
Jurassic World Dominion
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Am I the only one that enjoys TLW? I would rank it second only to the original.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:12 pm Am I the only one that enjoys TLW? I would rank it second only to the original.
No, I'm there with you.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Jurassic Park III
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Jurassic World: Dominion
Jurassic World

I enjoy something out of all the movies. It's just a matter of picking which ones I enjoy more than the others.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:12 pm Am I the only one that enjoys TLW? I would rank it second only to the original.
Me and Soggy and tbeasly just put it in 2nd place on our lists, lol. It's not just you, I'm sure. :P
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm not here to argue or get into fights, but I was weirdly disappointed by the finale of Dominion. Has it been discussed how random the final fight is? Jurassic World 1 built up the Indominious Rex as this really horrifying creature, that was very smart, and possessed near supernatural abilities. It was a movie-monster, through and through. When the main villain (Indo Rex) fought the pack of Raptors that Owen raised, and the T-Rex which was/is essentially the mascot of the franchise, and incorporated other elements that were established throughout the movie, it felt really fun and exciting.

This felt like "oh, three dinosaurs established in the last 20% of the film are fighting". I felt nothing, except maybe it was cool seeing the Gigantopede getting gored by the Dino with the nails. Even one of the main cast is like,"This has nothing to do with us". And at that moment, it felt like a really stupid, or self aware line to include. The finale felt pointless. I also think it represented a lot of bigger problems with the movie: "We have many good ideas, but focus on the wrong things". The main problem with Dominion is that it lacks a central villain or idea. Even Jurassic Park 3, for all it's faults, had a really fucking scary Spinosaurus as the antagonist.

If I had to say a positive, it re-enforces my love of Godzilla funnily enough. While I'll always like giant monsters fighting, it shows that there needs to be a better build up to monsters fighting, and the monsters themselves need to have something going on. Watching two dinosaurs fighting bored me to tears and I honestly didn't expect that.

Anyways, here's something controversial, rating wise.
Jurassic Park
Jurassic World
Jurassic Park 2
Jurassic Park 3
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom/Jurassic World Dominion

To give Fallen Kingdom and Dominion SOME credit, they at least move the stories forward and do SOME interesting things with the series. I can't fully hate them.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:26 am Even one of the main cast is like,"This has nothing to do with us".
To be fair, I think he was referring to this as more of a personal rivalry (it's heavily implied that the Giga and Rex were the same ones from the prologue)

That being said, I definitely agree with everything else. I'll add more to that; this is the first JP movie were the dinosaurs felt completely inconsequential to the plot. It's like Trevorrow wanted to make a sci-fi thriller about genetics and human cloning, but was forced to shoehorn in dinosaurs at the last minute.

Seriously, if you took all the dinosaurs out of the movie, many of the plot points wouldn't change. There'd be fewer action sequences, but the movie would still largely follow the same story beats (stop locusts, rescue girl). That's its biggest flaw compared to all the other previous movies.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

The final fight of Dominion is one of my main critic points as it is indeed just a random fight with zero weight. And honestly I even feel bad for the Giga. It's like the makers were forced to add a fight after finishing the whole movie already. The Giga is pretty much just acting like a regular animal and gets treated and killed off at the end like he ate the whole main cast.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Gojira2K wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:17 pm
No, I'm there with you.
Same. Lost World is a very fun movie for me.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Lost World is my favorite film of the whole franchise.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got home from Dominion. It was a garbage fire.
Spoiler:
The Parasaurolophus roundup and the Apatosaurs in the lumber mill were the highlights of the movie for me. Virtually everything else was crap. I never cared about the characters at all, JP originals included. Ian fit the movie, but Grant and Ellie felt horribly out of place sneaking around futuristic laboratories to steal shit and save the world. Who thought that was appropriate for them? And their romance was physically painful. Ian actually lampooning every stupid thing that the movie did was also wildly foolish. He was all but breaking the fourth wall. Would it have killed anyone involved to take anything about this movie's production seriously?

The dinosaur action was completely phoned in. None of it did anything at all for me. It was just a bunch of lousy CGI that came and went. I'll allow that I missed the Pyroraptor scene, so maybe that was better somehow.

Yeah, this was my least favorite of the series by a mile. I had a great time with JW and FK was at least somewhat entertaining. Dominion was a slog.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I watched Jurassic World Dominion last night.

The movie is better than Fallen Kingdom, I'll give it that, but, man, the story feels really forced and some of the dinosaur action just feels....unsatisfying. This movie has even more nostalgia-bait than the previous two movies and, overall, Jurassic World Dominion feels like an even bigger soulless Hollywood blockbuster movie than pervious installments. It's hard to explain why, but just watch Jurassic World and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and you'll understand. Still, I did have fun with Dominion and I won't mind buying it on home video.

I rank Dominion higher than Fallen Kingdom, but below the other movies.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Because I have no life I think I've tallied together the appearances of all dinosaurs/prehistoric animals in the Jurassic Park/World series, using this table of physical appearances as a basis. So far no species has appeared in all 8 works (the 6 films and 2 short films), but some have gotten close, and which ones might surprise you...
Spoiler:
7 appearances –
- Parasaurolophus
- Pteranodon
- Tyrannosaurus

6 appearances –
- Stegosaurus
- Triceratops
- Velociraptor

5 appearances –
- Ankylosaurus
- Compsognathus
- Gallimimus

4 appearances –
- Brachiosaurus
- Mosasaurus

3 appearances –
- Allosaurus
- Apatosaurus
- Nasutoceratops

2 appearances –
- Baryonyx
- Carnotaurus
- Dilophosaurus
- Dimorphodon
- Dreadnoughtus
- Giganotosaurus
- Iguanodon
- Moros intrepidus
- Pachycephalosaurus
- Quetzalcoatlus
- Sinoceratops
- Stygimoloch

1 appearance –
- Atrociraptor
- Ceratosaurus
- Corythosaurus
- Dimetrodon
- Indominus rex
- Indoraptor
- Lystrosaurus
- Mamenchisaurus
- Microceratus
- Oviraptor
- Pyroraptor
- Spinosaurus
- Therizinosaurus
Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Microceratus? I didn't realize they had an appearance. What, did they cameo in Dominion?

Having had time to let it sink in, I'll live with Dominion and embrace what dumb fun value it has. I knew what I was walking into, of course, but I ended up being saltier than I otherwise would have because my brother got sick (IMAX sound + way too much soda gave him a migraine) and had to leave halfway through the movie and that kind of wrecked the whole viewing experience. I'll probably have more fun with it on the rewatch. If nothing else, this trilogy is done and we have the inevitable reboot to look forward to. Hopefully they try to... try.... next time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio