Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by cloverfan98 »

So I view and thought that the Rebuild movies weren't remakes or reboots but a sequel or continuation of the original series. I view the events of NGE to be a cycle and the Rebuild series is the start of a whole new cycle taking place after and directly caused by the events of the original series.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Interesting outlook. Like a time-loop or something.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:38 pm ^Interesting outlook. Like a time-loop or something.
It's also confirmed to be the implied canon. Kaworu says he's met Shinji before.
For Emperor and Empire!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:38 pm ^Interesting outlook. Like a time-loop or something.
Sorta but not a temporal loop or trap. More like reality keeps restarting as Shinji tries to work through his mental crises. Like Edge of Tomorrow everytime Shinji gets a "bad ending" reality is rebooted again to the beginning scene of the series and Rebuild films. I honestly think it may be Shinjis father who keeps hitting the reset button each time hoping this run through will reunite him with his dead wife. Ultimately Shinji is able to wrestle control of this constantly rebooting reality by being able to come to terms with his mental illnesses and what makes the last Rebuild film TRULY the final Evangelion film and the end of the reboot cycle is Shinji helping his friends and family find their own happiness before finding his own.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Only after watching 3.0 + 1.0 for a second time do I realise why Asuka was being such a class A bitch to Shinji. Last time I think I was just too amazed by this awesome movie. It is of my humble opinion that she, in that moment, while force feeding Shinji, was letting out all her pent up rage at Shinji in the most personal way, unlike their eva duel in 3.0. Asuka was angry at Shinji because he wasn’t there for her for 14 years. She needed him, and while he was in deep slumber, he obviously couldn’t do anything.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I don’t know how Anno did it, but 3.0 + 1.0 really does improve the previous three films. It’s quite astonishing really (coming from a guy who already liked them quite a bit).
Also, am I the only one who doesn’t take the references to the past series as a shared chronology? I see the rebuilds much more as a Craven’s New Nightmare situation where it’s a meta commentary on itself rather than an explicit continuation (not that it really matters in the end I guess).
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 pm I don’t know how Anno did it, but 3.0 + 1.0 really does improve the previous three films. It’s quite astonishing really (coming from a guy who already liked them quite a bit).
Also, am I the only one who doesn’t take the references to the past series as a shared chronology? I see the rebuilds much more as a Craven’s New Nightmare situation where it’s a meta commentary on itself rather than an explicit continuation (not that it really matters in the end I guess).
Interesting take, it definitely lends itself to that reading as well. I really like that it has these different angles of interpretation, but both of them, whether being meta commentary or shared chronology, can work and improve the lens of the story.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that the guy who played Rando Yaguchi in Shin Godzilla would make a live-action Gendo Ikari?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:12 pm Does anyone think that the guy who played Rando Yaguchi in Shin Godzilla would make a live-action Gendo Ikari?
He's a bit too young for that role. No idea who would fit, though.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:29 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:12 pm Does anyone think that the guy who played Rando Yaguchi in Shin Godzilla would make a live-action Gendo Ikari?
He's a bit too young for that role. No idea who would fit, though.
Why, Hugh Laurie of course! With Timothee Chalamet as Shinji and the rest of the cast I have not thought of :lol:
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^What I have in mind in a series that’s actually produced in Japan. Plus, Hiroki Hasegawa is currently 45 years old.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Ah I see. We can still have an non-native Japanese speaker though, in the form of Asuka. I don’t want a Kyoko Ann Patterson repeat.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:31 pm Ah I see. We can still have an non-native Japanese speaker though, in the form of Asuka. I don’t want a Kyoko Ann Patterson repeat.
Speaking of Kayoko Anne Patterson, I watched an old TitanGoji video where he was giving his thoughts on what a live-action Evangelion movie should be like and he casted Satomi Ishihara as Misato. A decision I 100% agree with, honestly.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Lol

"This guy would play this character because he/she was in Shin Godzilla!!!"

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Hugh Lau-rie! Hugh Lau-rie!
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:41 pm Hugh Lau-rie! Hugh Lau-rie!
Hell of a better fit than Rando from Shin Godzilla.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I'm beginning to think that the anti-universe and the Golgotha object are like a nexus point of every reality where the Doors of Guf are opened and Evangelions exist, and because Kaworu is connected to them he's able to explore all of those possible timelines and exert a limited degree of control over them. But Shinji wished to erase Evangelions from existence, which permanently closed the Doors of Guf, and he got ejected into a reality where the Doors were never opened to begin with.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Does anyone on this site happen to have a background in music theory? I pick up a similarity between Komm Susser Todd and David Bowie's song Quicksand (particularly the part where Bowie sings, 'don't believe in yourself'), but I've got no idea if there is actually any structural similarity or if its just some synchronicity to my untrained brain.

Links for ease of comparison

He Jock it Made of Steel

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 pm I don’t know how Anno did it, but 3.0 + 1.0 really does improve the previous three films. It’s quite astonishing really (coming from a guy who already liked them quite a bit).
this is pretty much how I see it too. Unlike the series, the rebuilds have to be seen in the context of the Evangelion phenomenon in Japan. The New Nightmare comparison I didn't think about and it fits like a glove! :shingodzillapurple:
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

This show was so impactful (no pun intended) & weird that just looking a clips of it makes me feel depressed.