Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by goji89 »

This talk about the price for that set made me wonder what my Platinum Evangelion set goes for........ and holy of shyts....this fucker goes for upwards of 300 to 600 dollars?

I viewed this once then just put it away since I've seen it about a hundred times but daaaaaamn.

I'm rich, drinks on me over at Tokyo-3

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 pm This talk about the price for that set made me wonder what my Platinum Evangelion set goes for........ and holy of shyts....this fucker goes for upwards of 300 to 600 dollars?

I viewed this once then just put it away since I've seen it about a hundred times but daaaaaamn.

It'd be cool if you sold it then used the money to buy me one of the new sets. Kthanx
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:04 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 pm This talk about the price for that set made me wonder what my Platinum Evangelion set goes for........ and holy of shyts....this skreeonker goes for upwards of 300 to 600 dollars?

It'd be cool if you sold it then used the money to buy me one of the new sets. Kthanx
No, I don't think I will.

Besides, I'm already buying the drinks and you want more? Easy there Gendo.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Darn, I thought that would work. Guess I'll just settle for a tall glass of Tang.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just watched 1.11 for the first time. I liked it. Spoiler for those who somehow haven’t seen it.
Spoiler:
Like I said, I enjoyed it, and honestly prefer it to the episodes it retells. I was caught off guard at how casually Misato revealed Lilith to Shinji, and was pleasantly surprised when Kaworu showed up at the end. Overall, a good start for the Rebuilds for me, can’t wait to watch 2.22.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:32 pm Nope, it's just the old end credits theme that people are attached to (understandably so if that's the version they grew up with). Netflix uses a couple of Sagisu's piano pieces, and I thought they fit just fine.
Cool, thanks. Well, Netflix it is, then. I was all set to throw GKIDS some change, but not for the same thing I can stream for no extra cost.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched Rebuild 1-4 the other day. Then I watched episodes 23 and 24 and then End of Eva today. My head is going to explode. I don't hate the original ending now that we have both End of Eva and Shin Eva 4.

It does feel like Rebuild's ending is the strongest though.
Spoiler:
It was nice for Shinji to actually resolve things with his father.
I wound up rewatching the latter half of Eva, and EoE as well. Then did a deep dive on some of the lore. My brain is a bit fried.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:20 amI wound up rewatching the latter half of Eva, and EoE as well. Then did a deep dive on some of the lore. My brain is a bit fried.
Haha, I can relate; that was pretty much my reaction the first time I watched the original series and then EoE. I do think the show works a lot better on a second viewing.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:32 pm Yeah, I'll wait for a standard edition. How absurd.

Added in 1 hour 13 minutes 12 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:56 pm So is "Fly Me To The Moon" actually important in the show? If I throw in the towel and watch on Netflix, will I be missing anything significant?
Nope, it's just the old end credits theme that people are attached to (understandably so if that's the version they grew up with). Netflix uses a couple of Sagisu's piano pieces, and I thought they fit just fine.
As mentioned above, "Fly Me to the Moon" isn't critical to the narrative to the show, so if you're new you won't miss much. It IS a big part of the franchise iconography, though, and I've seen arguments that the song works as a metatextual reference for certain plot points, or something like that (including one of Kaworu's lines which got so controversially re-translated).
In my own case, watching NGE for the first time was something of a wild and surreal trip, and hearing each episode end on an old-fashioned English song was part of that trip - in fact, this show actually INTRODUCED me to "Fly Me to the Moon", so the song is permanently tied to Eva in my mind now. Watching Eva without the song feels kind of like shortcake without the strawberry on top.

Based on reports I'm seeing over at Blu-ray.com and EvaGeeks, it sounds like the situation with FMttM actually goes all the way back to the original distribution. Apparently, Gainax and/or ADV never properly cleared the copyrights for the song internationally, so the legal rights/licensing fees have snowballed into impossible prices today. I haven't seen precise numbers, but there were analogues to "the equivalent of buying a house".

I've also seen speculation that the classic dubs/subs will be limited edition only, which might explain why this set has so many discs and is so expensive.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

"Fly me to the Moon" is a great comedown jam after seeing meat robots rip eachother limb from limb.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:14 am "Fly me to the Moon" is a great comedown jam after seeing meat robots rip eachother limb from limb.
Meat Robots

More than meets the Ribeye.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:27 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:14 am "Fly me to the Moon" is a great comedown jam after seeing meat robots rip eachother limb from limb.
Meat Robots

More than meets the Ribeye.
That's the thing about meat robots, they can always outflank you
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just watched 2.22 and I thought it was good, and liked it better than 1.0. It wasn’t just a retelling, which is good, and had me enjoying it up until the final moments
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Voyager wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:51 am Just watched 2.22 and I thought it was good, and liked it better than 1.0. It wasn’t just a retelling, which is good, and had me enjoying it up until the final moments
2.22 is my favorite of the Rebuilds. So much quality slice of life stuff in the first half (the highlight for me being the field trip, what a beautiful sequence), then the second half just goes bonkers.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:23 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:51 am Just watched 2.22 and I thought it was good, and liked it better than 1.0. It wasn’t just a retelling, which is good, and had me enjoying it up until the final moments
2.22 is my favorite of the Rebuilds. So much quality slice of life stuff in the first half (the highlight for me being the field trip, what a beautiful sequence), then the second half just goes bonkers.
Even stayed around after the credits, it was magnifique.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^Indeed.

Ya know, after having some time to digest the Rebuilds over the last week and a half, I'm a lot more content with the ending and its retroactive effect on the first three films.
Spoiler:
Anno made a full-on redemption story this time around - Shinji's collar being an albatross around his neck, his symbol of shame and defeat that weighs him down. In the end the collar is removed and his curse is lifted. He has finally forgiven himself, grown up and moved on...and so has Anno. And so should we.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

I'm in the middle of 2.22. it's crazy how much more the Rebuilds click since 3.0+1.0!
I really feel like they stuck the landing. Looking forward to going through them all in sequence soon.

Edit: Damn. 2.22 was always my favorite of the Rebuilds (not sure if I'd say 2.22 or 3.0+1.0 at this point) but wow, I really enjoyed it this time around.

I honestly can't believe how salty some people are about 3.0+1.0.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:21 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:27 pm More than meets the Ribeye.
That's the thing about meat robots, they can always outflank you
Not watching Eva (with its tender, beefy themes) would be a missed-steak, but it's your Choice.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just a little thought I'd share with you guys.

I think Asuka's horrified face from her fight against the mass production evas is a perfect showing of emotion purely through facial expression. Without words, you can clearly see the absolute horror she fells as she sees the Spear of Longinus heading towards her. It's a perfect way to show the magnitude of what's happening and how she feels. Her recoiled position, the shadows on her face, and her shrunken iris' and pupils illustrate this very well.

It's one of my favourite facial expressions in media, honestly.

For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^Agreed.

Asuka vs the mass production Evas is my favorite sequence in the franchise. It's exciting, visually stunning and downright horrifying.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

So… just finished 3.33.
Spoiler:
I didn’t like this one as much as 2.22. It didn’t sit right with me how Shinji is treated by Misato and Asuka (but that’s normal for her, so meh). Kaworu and Shinji was definitely my favourite part of this film, and I really felt a connection the two had. Gendo’s looking like a Xilien, and Fuyutsuki is looking even older than before.

Rei was fine, as was Mari. The ending was fine, i guess. Just found it weird how Asuka wanted to kill Shinji and then doesn’t anymore after he nearly restarts 3rd Impact, but I don’t even know what to expect with her anymore. Honestly, I would like the film more if I got a proper explanation as to why Misato is so cold towards Shinji, but I guess that’ll be explained in the next, and final movie.
For Emperor and Empire!