Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by JAGzilla »

Okay, yeah, Demon Slayer picks up somewhat after the first episode. I'm three episodes in, now. It's nothing mega-original, but it's fun, with mostly nice-looking animation and decent music. There's a lot of lazy plot convenience in this show, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Just watched The Great Pretender and Japan Sinks 2020, both of those are (very) good but I have a soft spot for The great Pretender - Great art and relatively mature storytelling.
Both are SHORT, and that's welcome - those endless shows are not my cup of tea.
For an 80's kid, I've never even seen DBZ in its entirety. Only Saint Seiya, the holy grail of my youth.
I just can't watch mainstream anime anymore (ever since I gave up on Naruto a long time ago) - and that goes for mangas too, obviously!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:58 am Three episodes to go on Haruhi. The movie arc was about as funny as the show's been yet, and I love that they actually gave The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina its own full episode.
The funny thing about The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina is, that was the very first episode in the original season 1 broadcast order, so you're given NO context for the episode whatsoever. :lol: It was actually a pretty genius move, however, because on its own the episode essentially lays out the tone of the show as well as the character dynamics, even though it explains nothing about the plot!

I'm just doing some catch-up on a few shows - My Hero Academia S4, Laid-Back Camp... Oh, and SSSS. DYNAZENON. That one's pretty good so far. 8-)
GKIDS is also rerunning a few movies over the summer, so if any of can access/want to brave theaters, stay alert. Children of the Sea is up first this month.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I watched Weathering With You and Fireworks over the past two days. WWY was good, with typically outstanding visuals and music... the ending kind of tripped me up at first, but thinking about it and watching the interview with Makoto Shinkai, I can appreciate what he was going for. And then Fireworks was dull and a little too out there for its own good, unfortunately.

And I'm about seven episodes into Demon Slayer. It's becoming pretty solidly enjoyable, with a lot of cool world building. I wish it would've taken its time a bit more starting out, though, and crafted the setting a bit more carefully. Also, the edge in this show, oh my God. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Ghibli Fest is coming back this year! Totoro, Howl, Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away back in theaters from Oct - Dec.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 pm I watched Weathering With You and Fireworks over the past two days. WWY was good, with typically outstanding visuals and music... the ending kind of tripped me up at first, but thinking about it and watching the interview with Makoto Shinkai, I can appreciate what he was going for. And then Fireworks was dull and a little too out there for its own good, unfortunately.
I largely agree with this. I do think WWY kind of tries to have its cake and eat it too with the ending, but overall the film does a good job at conveying the sense of instability from the youth's perspective.
Fireworks was honestly underwhelming. I got to see it in theaters when GKIDS first aired it, but I haven't really felt any need to see it again.
Speaking of GKIDS, it's great to see Ghibli Fest coming back. GKIDS is also re-releasing some other anime films this summer, including Promare and the aforementioned Weathering With You. I went to see Children of the Sea this past weekend, and it was awesome on the big screen. The film is kind of an Arthur C. Clarke type of big sci-fi story, but staged around the ocean and following a few kids. CRAZY gorgeous animation, and a lovely soundtrack by the one and only Joe Hisaishi.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well, thought I’d report back in on my progress of NGE.

Thanks to my very inconsistent schedule, I just watched Episode 16. I’m really liking the series so far, and after I’m done, I’m watching EoE.
For Emperor and Empire!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:07 pm Well, thought I’d report back in on my progress of NGE.

Thanks to my very inconsistent schedule, I just watched Episode 16. I’m really liking the series so far, and after I’m done, I’m watching EoE.
Oh boy.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:04 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:07 pm Well, thought I’d report back in on my progress of NGE.

Oh boy.
Brace for Impact...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:36 pm

Oh boy.
Brace for Impact...
Bring Kleenex.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

cloverfan98 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:36 pm

Oh boy.
Brace for Impact...
Bring Kleenex.
TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG TANG
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

cloverfan98 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pmBring Kleenex.
Should have told Shinji that before he went to the hospital. ;)

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:57 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pmBring Kleenex.
Should have told Shinji that before he went to the hospital. ;)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

While we are on the topic of Evangelion, allow me to tell you how I feel about Shinji Ikari : He is not so much a character as much as a mouthpiece for creator Hideaki Anno to project himself wallowing in depression. In order to truly appreciate the character (as well as the show itself) you need to concentrate all your energy into relating to someone like him, as well as a higher intellect.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I think just about every character in the series takes after Anno - they're all crippled with depression, self-doubt, self-loathing, or some combination of those, yet they all have different ways of dealing with it.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Hathaways's Flash just came out on Netflix Yesterday. I enjoy most Gundam series/movies. This was different. Never thought I'd see a James Bond movie aesthetic in Gundam. ;) . It was ok, not my favorite, especially after 2 years of buildup since seeing the first teaser. I understand it is the first of 3 films...I just wonder how long we will have to wait for the other 2 :lol: . I appreciate them trying to fill in more history in the UC timeline, but they have to get off the whole "Char Clone" kick. It's getting as bad as Star Wars always resurrecting the Emperor (yes they did it in the EU long before JJ ever thought of it). AS much as I am a fan of classic Amuro vs Char conflict, they need to make up a new enemy, especially since Zeon is pretty much done. Hopefully before the end of the 3rd film, they will tease Crossbone a bit, and that would eventually lead into F91.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm While we are on the topic of Evangelion, allow me to tell you how I feel about Shinji Ikari : He is not so much a character as much as a mouthpiece for creator Hideaki Anno to project himself wallowing in depression. In order to truly appreciate the character (as well as the show itself) you need to concentrate all your energy into relating to someone like him, as well as a higher intellect.
Why would I need to relate to some one like him when I'm exactly like him myself?

(sobs in corner)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:38 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm While we are on the topic of Evangelion, allow me to tell you how I feel about Shinji Ikari : He is not so much a character as much as a mouthpiece for creator Hideaki Anno to project himself wallowing in depression. In order to truly appreciate the character (as well as the show itself) you need to concentrate all your energy into relating to someone like him, as well as a higher intellect.
Why would I need to relate to some one like him when I'm exactly like him myself?

(sobs in corner)
Have you ever endured depression yourself? I have from time to time.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Starting One Punch Man. I was like if this totally Piccolo looking dude isn't voiced by Chris Sabat I'll be sorely disappointed. I wasn't.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Binged season one, pretty fun show. Its ridiculous in all the right wayss and its pretty hilarious too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983