Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Bret
G-Grasper

Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Bret »

This is the continuation of the topic on the old board.
I'm going too say this now. Don't come into this thread saying "All anime suck" or something like that. IF you don't like the Subject of the topic DON"T POST. OK,now that I got that out Here's my recommendations.

Black Lagoon: This series is short,but awesome. There are 2 seasons. the first one is 12 episodes and I don't know how many the 2nd one is.

Sailor Moon: THis is a gem I use too watch when I was a kid. Everybody used too call it a "girly" show when I use too watch it. Mind you this was when I was in 4th or 5th grade. Come too think of it,I think thats when my perverted side started too show itself.

Blue Gender: This series was just weird. It's dark too from what I remember.

Outlaw Star: Another gem from my childhood. I was actually surprised after reading up on it that they showed this on Toonami during the day. It's just awesome all around.

Detective Conan/Case Closed: This is the reason I loathe Adult Swim. The show failed ,because they kept moving the shows time slot. Also the stupid dubbers made a mistake in one of the episodes that made some of the American audience not watch it. This show is in my Top 5 most Favorite Anime series.

Tenchi Muyo: Now that I think about it,both Sailor moon and this show is what caused my perverted side too show at a young age. This show is really crazy.It's a Harem Anime series.

Big O: This is probably what Bruce Wayne would be if batman didn't exist and there were Mechas exist. Norman just kicks ass too.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: THis series takes elements from FLCL. Which means it's crazy as heck.

This isn't all the ones I've seen. I just named the lesser ones I've seen.
I'm trying too watch lesser known anime.
just thought I would post my first post again too start things off.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

Bret
G-Grasper

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Bret »

I'm thinking of rewatching .Hack//Sign and .Hack//Roots since I'm in a .Hack binge at the moment.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Neon Genesis Evangelion is my favorite anime series, I'll start off with that.

Can I post the anime ships I support (mostly shoujo-ai/yuri pairs, 'cause I'm like that! :P )?

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

So... here's the anime I've been watching in the past few months:

My Favorite Anime
Neon Genesis Evangelion, easily

Anime I've Watched Recently
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
To Love Ru
- All To Love Ru Ovas
Love Hina
Sailor Moon
Kannazuki no Miko
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Mai Hime
Mai Otome
Black Lagoon
Mai Otome Zwei
Cannan
School Days
Girl's High
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone
Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance

So seriously... can I post mah favorite yuri couples?

vaporchu
Monarch Researcher

Post by vaporchu »

Two guesses as to what my favorite anime is. Hint: it ain't Pogeyman. Although I will say I was always a Pokeshipper.

The Digimon anime (Adventures-Tamer) are fun to watch. Tamer especially was great. And in the past, I watched Sailor Moon.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

vaporchu wrote:Although I will say I was always a Pokeshipper.
You are unimaginative. SapphirePearlShipping FTW.
alienhulk2099 wrote:although I seriously have a distaste for the Mai Dualogy. So very, very much. Because it's so girly and lacks action. Yeah.
I find the Mai shows to be very well-written. They are funny when need be and dramatic when need be. The music kicks ass.

And dude... no action!? In Mai Hime, there was plenty of it. In the first ten or so episodes, the girls fought ORPHANS every episodes. Then things got more serious with Miyu/Alyssa and were very action packed, kicking off to a dramatic climax. The show relaxed for episode 16... built up drama for episodes 17-19, and then exploded with action. There was a fight scene every episode: Akira vs. Nao, Midori vs. Nao, Akira vs. Mikoto (vs. Shiho, though this isn't found out 'till later), and Mai vs. Mikoto in episode 20, Shizuru pwning Nao in episode 21, Shizuru kicking Yukino and Haruka's ass in episode 23, Natsuki vs. Shizuru and Mai vs. Shiho in episode 25, and a very underwhelming climax. Though count me in as one of the few who loves how it ends. Yes, it's a cop-out, I don't care.

Truthfully, the action isn't the main draw for me. It's the characters and their relationships with each other. I loved the Mai/Takumi relationship, the Akira/Takumi relationship, the Mai/Mikoto relationship, the Mai/Natsuki relationship... the only characters I didn't care for were Tate and Shiho. They were really well-done. When shit goes down in episode 20, you realize the value of these characters as their bonds are tested and destroyed one-by-one. Takumi dies, Natsuki finds out the truth about her mother, Shizuru snaps, Mikoto and Mai are torn apart, Reito is revealed as the bad guy... and so forth. It's awesome stuff.

Mai Otome was a step down, I can admit that, but I still find it pretty entertaining.
Last edited by Arrow on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

My Favorite:

Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
Zoids
Yu Yu Hakusho
Digimon Season 1
Dragonball z (No GT involved)
Big-O
Gundam Wing
G-Gundam
Avatar The Last Airbender (If you include it as anime art-style)
Cowboy Bebop (BEST EVER)

Manga-Wise:
1. Naruto
2. Bleach

That's pretty much it.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I'm relatively new to the anime scene with my favorite sereis being Ghost in the Shell.

However, I may start watching more seeing as Marvel just announced the Iron Man, X-men, Blade, and Wolverine animes.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

My favorite Anime would have to be Ranma 1/2. No other Anime I have seen compares to it. It's truly a love comedy masterpiece, with plenty of action, humor, and, of course, fanservice. Second in line is Inuyasha, and third is Code Geass.

ANime's I've watched recently? Mai-hime, To Love Ru, and Akira... You just gotta love that theme Tetsuo has whenever he comes and wrecks the millitary apart...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

I actually don't watch as much anime as I should. My interest in it started up all over again at the beginning of last year.

Hellsing (Not a big fan of the original anime, but the OVAs are AMAZING)
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Digimon Seasons 1,2 & 4
Cowboy Bebop
I've seen a fair amount of Outlaw Star and I thought that was good.
I started watching Gurren Lagann recently as well and I've been sucked into that.
Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty good, but I didn't watch it after the Dark Tournament.
And finally, I also started watching the original Guyver series, which I need to finish as well.

But the Hellsing Ultimate series is my favorite anime out there. I even cosplayed Walter at an anime convention earlier this year. I just think it's an insanely badass show.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

Sorry I just dont have the patience like AH to post my full list, but those that know me are aware that my favorite Anime is pretty much any Super Robot series (especially anything from Go Nagai). Also I enjoy RealRobot series (Gundam, Macross etc...). And Space Operas such as Space Battleship Yamato aka "Star Blazers".
I just recently rewatched all of Tekkaman Blade & Tekkaman Blade II with my wife. I know that there are a LOT of NGE fans here, but I challenge anyone here (in a friendly way of course, not mean or condescending) to say that the hell that D-Boy (Takaya Aiba) went through in his series was not worse than that of Shinji Ikari in NGE. I know Shinji had it bad, and was pretty messed up, but I think Takaya had a much WORSE situation, and handled it much better, all things considered.

For those that have never seen Tekkaman Blade, basically its backstory is about the crew of a spaceship (family & friends) who are exploring space. They are attacked by a parasitic alien race known as the Radam. Their bodies are taken over. Some are "rejected" and die instantly. Others become host bodies for "Tekkamen" (mechanical warriors sent as heralds for the Radam to reign down destruction on their prospective target: Earth). Takaya is rescued by his father (who dies shortly after)before the process can be completed, and becomes an incomplete "Tekkaman" (able to use his powers for only 30 minuets, but not controlled by the Radam.) Takaya (also known as D-boy), is the only one who can fight the Radam on their own level. He must destroy other Tekkaman who are his close friends & siblings (twin brother Shinya, & older brother Kengo). Ultimately his whole immidiate family is either killed early on, or must be killed by Takaya himself to save the earth.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

alienhulk2099 wrote:Most of the battles lasted one or two minutes. :|
Half of episode 1 was devoted the chaos in the Mikoto vs. Natsuki battle, a long battle spanned across episodes 2 and 3. From episodes 4-11, yeah there wasn't much other than the "Monster of the Day" thing. But episode 12 has a long battle with that vampire orphan. Then there's Miyu and Alyssa. Half of episode 20 is devoted to the Mai vs. Mikoto battles. There's lots of stuff there. May not be your thing, but I thought it was enough action. Like I said, the action isn't the main draw for me anyway.
The rest of the eps had sooooooooo much talking I thought I was going to die of boredom at several points.
Not a big fan of character development, are you?
Actually I thought the ending was one of the only decent parts to ever make itself known (as in at all).
I like the ending too. But it is a cop-out, honestly. But whatever.
As for the music it undoubtedly needed anima spiritia.
I wish I knew what that was.
I apologize if I seem a little mean Arrow, these are simply the first two series I've ever considered to stop watching altogether.
You're not being mean and if you don't like them, then you don't like them. I think they're entertaining, well-written shows, personally. But to each his own.

vaporchu
Monarch Researcher

Post by vaporchu »

I was going to say something to refute that, but then I realized you were right. :|

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

I'm not the biggest anime fan, but I do have a certain fascination with it. I've also started getting into manga as of late.

Series I really enjoy:

Eureka Seven
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Outlaw Star
Soul Eater
Hellsing OVAs
Ghost in the Shell

There's others, I just can't think of them at the moment...
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Oh yes... And KARAS. KARAS is a good series as well. Sort of takes a dark spin on tokusatsu hero's like Kamen Rider.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

These are the anime I put on my "to watch" list.

To Watch
Haruhi Suzumiya: Endless Eight
Sailor Moon movies
The Cowboy Bebop movie (I was underwhelmed by the show, so this better make up for it)
Negima!?
Strike Witches

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Arrow wrote:The Cowboy Bebop movie (I was underwhelmed by the show, so this better make up for it)
Meh, prepare to not be swayed. I love the show, but the movie is kinda meh. It's basically just a long episode (like every other movie based on a TV show), but that kills the pacing that the show has.

Also, you suck for being underwhelmed.
bleep bloop

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Legionmaster wrote:Also, you suck for being underwhelmed.
It's a good show, great even. It just... isn't my kind of show, I guess. People shoved that in my face screaming "best anime evar!!1!", so I guess I set my hopes a little too high.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the OST is mind-blowing. "Tank" and "Piano Black" are my favorite numbers.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Arrow wrote:If it makes you feel any better, I think the OST is mind-blowing. "Tank" and "Piano Black" are my favorite numbers.
Yes, yes it does. Thank you.
bleep bloop

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Whether many Anime's follow the same overall formula or not really dosen't take away from their enjoyment in most cases. You could say the same for any US Animated series based on a comic book (Superman,Batman, Spider-Man , X-men etc...). You could say they are all episodic, introduce characters & villains, and have no real resolution, but that dosen't make them any less enjoyable.

Oh and here (with few exceptions) is my "dream list" of every Anime I would like to see (in truth I have seen probably less than half of these)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_robot#2000s
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!