Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official News topic

Post by Terasawa »

The Speaker of the House wouldn't be allowed to go to Taiwan if intel thought there'd be even a remote chance of war erupting between China and the United States.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

In light of the GOP once AGAIN screwing over people they claim to care for.

Jumping onboard. Jon Stewart 100% for president if he ever runs.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

For reasons I don't quite understand, HBO Max and Discovery+ will merge into one streaming service around the Summer of 2023.
https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/h ... 235333314/
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Salman Rushdie was attacked onstage in New York, condition unknown.
https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-top- ... -new-york/
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:31 am Salman Rushdie was attacked onstage in New York, condition unknown.
https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-top- ... -new-york/
Oof. I met Salman Rushdie a few years ago at a private reading event at my college a few years ago. I have a signed copy of “The Satanic Verses”.

I hope he pulls through. His childrens book, “Haroun and the sea of stories” is a fun read.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... go-search/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/politics ... index.html

So I'm assuming everyone has kept up with Trump and the FBI search and how MAGA extremist are threatening and want to de-fund and kill FBI agents.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:25 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... go-search/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/politics ... index.html

So I'm assuming everyone has kept up with Trump and the FBI search and how MAGA extremist are threatening and want to de-fund and kill FBI agents.
-nods-

I've grown cynical and don't expect anything to come out of it, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

It's always perplexing how quickly Trumpers turn on law enforcement.

First they had no qualms about beating Capitol police with fire extinguishers on January 6th. Now this.

Say what you will about the BLM "rioters", but at least they don't flip flop their convictions when they become inconvenient.

In unrelated news, Joe Manchin Agrees To Sweeping Legislation To Raise Taxes On Wealthy, Invest In Climate.

Tax. The. Rich.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Did Manchin want to look like a hero or did pressure get to him. Oh well atleast we can get climate change... for another two years when the red takes over because people want results now.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Biden signs Inflation Reduction Act into law

Holy shit, I thought this bill was dead in the water not two weeks ago! This may be the first time the US has put together any sort of official policy on climate change. It even mentions nuclear power and public transportation.
He/him/his

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cinemaworld is apparently filing for bankruptcy.

https://www.ign.com/articles/cineworld- ... nema-chain

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Biden cancels $10,000 in federal student loan debt for most borrowers

My favorite part of this that no one is mentioning is how monthly interest will also be covered, which would prevent your loans from increasing despite making on-time payments. This'll especially be good for those of us with professional/graduate school debt, a major chunk being exorbitant interest.
He/him/his

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:54 pm
Oof. I met Salman Rushdie a few years ago at a private reading event at my college a few years ago. I have a signed copy of “The Satanic Verses”.
Are you serious?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:34 pm
Are you serious?
What's wrong with that?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Are you serious?
What's wrong with that? I own one too (not signed unfortunately).
He/him/his

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Are you serious?
I'm curious, Legend, do you know anything about that novel?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I’m just surprised that someone here of all places actually met the man. Not that I have anything against it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:01 am ^I’m just surprised that someone here of all places actually met the man. Not that I have anything against it.
Yeah, I really did meet him. He was doing a speaking and reading event at the college I was attending. I was taking a special creative writing class, named "Living Creative Writers", where the author would come to our school and discuss works they've written. It's also how I met Deborah Eisenberg and Wallace Shawn (they came as a pair and read one of Shawn's plays!). For the class, we read Haroun and the Sea of Stories, an otherwise light hearted and completely uncontroversial children's novel that I reccomend.

While he breifly discussed the infamous book, he discussed a variety of topics and read from Midnight's Children. He was mostly jovial, kind, and at the time discussed what had happen to him in a humurous fashion. When the topic of religion and controversy came up, he discussed that at the time of writing the novel (Satanic Verses), he had no idea that it really would change his life and cause such a big deal. He discussed that if anything, that was what made him more aware/critical of mainstream religion and Islam.

In retrospect, the event was surreal to me, because it's not unlike the event in which he got stabbed at. I don't think a random person will ever be able to approach him ever again, at least in the way I was able to meet and speak to him.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shit we already, unfortunately knew, but a UN report pretty much confirms all the horror stories about China and it’s treatment of Muslim ethnic groups within its borders:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/31/asia ... index.html