Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official News topic

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:32 am I work with a lot of prisoners. What people don't tell you is the inmates actually love these programs for the most part. It allows them to do something other than sit in the block, which is a good thing. I'm not sure it builds character or not, I'm pretty skeptical of a lot of these programs utilized by the prison industrial complex. I'm pretty convinced most of these programs fall short of their loftier ambitions. I have no confidence in their ability to make all-encompassing societal changes. However, if they are giving individual inmates piece of mind, I support that.

I'll be honest with you guys, in my experience, I don't think the inmates care if they are being paid or not. Additionally, in some jurisdictions inmates are being "paid" in the sense their sentence is reduced. You can debate whether this is fair or not, and argue they should at least be paid minimum wage. I think that's reasonable. My worry is, when I hear this topic discussed, that it will lead to the dissolution of these trustee programs, and I would view that as a bad thing.
No one here is disputing that prison labor beats rotting away in a cell, nor is anyone here advocating for simply getting rid of such programs.

The issue is the inadequate quality of life and financial support these programs provide for prisoners. Keep in mind that prisoners also have to pay for their own food, hygiene, clothes, and family communication, to say nothing of the financial burden the families incur on the outside. Maybe the specific prison you worked in provided more benefits to its population so they don't have to worry as much about money, but it's quite evident that inmates throughout the USA aren't being paid near enough to support themselves and their families, and so have to resort to illicit side-hustles to maintain basic amenities.

Of course, it's not just a matter of paying prisoners more. Our for-profit prison system is designed to suck as much money out of inmates as possible, so the cost of simply existing in prison needs to be changed. We should also reexamine how prisoners who get released don't get to use the "character and skills" they built up to find jobs, due to stigma against offenders in the hiring process.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Basically everything SG'10 just said. :applause: If people are going to work for you, pay them what the work is worth. Otherwise, the "prison is a place of rehabilitation, not punishment" lie becomes even harder to maintain.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:03 am
shadowgigan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:32 am I work with a lot of prisoners. What people don't tell you is the inmates actually love these programs for the most part. It allows them to do something other than sit in the block, which is a good thing. I'm not sure it builds character or not, I'm pretty skeptical of a lot of these programs utilized by the prison industrial complex. I'm pretty convinced most of these programs fall short of their loftier ambitions. I have no confidence in their ability to make all-encompassing societal changes. However, if they are giving individual inmates piece of mind, I support that.

I'll be honest with you guys, in my experience, I don't think the inmates care if they are being paid or not. Additionally, in some jurisdictions inmates are being "paid" in the sense their sentence is reduced. You can debate whether this is fair or not, and argue they should at least be paid minimum wage. I think that's reasonable. My worry is, when I hear this topic discussed, that it will lead to the dissolution of these trustee programs, and I would view that as a bad thing.
No one here is disputing that prison labor beats rotting away in a cell, nor is anyone here advocating for simply getting rid of such programs.

The issue is the inadequate quality of life and financial support these programs provide for prisoners. Keep in mind that prisoners also have to pay for their own food, hygiene, clothes, and family communication, to say nothing of the financial burden the families incur on the outside. Maybe the specific prison you worked in provided more benefits to its population so they don't have to worry as much about money, but it's quite evident that inmates throughout the USA aren't being paid near enough to support themselves and their families, and so have to resort to illicit side-hustles to maintain basic amenities.

Of course, it's not just a matter of paying prisoners more. Our for-profit prison system is designed to suck as much money out of inmates as possible, so the cost of simply existing in prison needs to be changed. We should also reexamine how prisoners who get released don't get to use the "character and skills" they built up to find jobs, due to stigma against offenders in the hiring process.
I also agree with you on all those points. And I’m not even going to say the inmates I worked with had access to decent resources. Many, if no most of them, do not. In my opinion prison has already failed as a “rehabilitation” program. It’s more or less a joke. I just think these programs are still a net positive. I do think inmates should be paid more.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

A.I. just got a whole lot scarier.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 pm A.I. just got a whole lot scarier.
I'm no more scared of AI than I am of humanity itself.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

You can't just make a post like this and not explain yourself.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spuro wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 pm
You can't just make a post like this and not explain yourself.
He's probably referring to Open AI's "Sora" program which allows text to video AI tools. Basically you can type something and AI will generate it. Pretty concerning, not just for the implications on film, but also as it's usage as a disinformation machine.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Alex Navalny died in prison. I'm sure it was completely due to natural causes.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

I wonder if Tucker Carlson will have another 2 hour interview with Putin, this time about how physically unfit Navalny was and how the Polar Wolf Prison has the latest in cutting edge medical technology and totally did its best trying to keep him alive.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

You can tell how out of touch Tucker is when he fawns over the shopping cart system in Russia. Yeah dude that "technology" has existed at Aldi's for decades.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:11 am Lmao. People renaming birds to "fight the power" so they can feel good about themselves and pretend to actually make a difference in the world.
"We've come to understand that there are certain names that have offensive or derogatory connotations that cause pain to people, and that it is important to change those, to remove those as barriers to their participation in the world of birds," she says.
I have utterly zero respect for anyone with views remotely similar to this. If you want to change the names for practical reasons, I guess that's fine. But if this is the motivation I am totally against it. Gotta hand it to the think tank that thought of this grift.
Agreed 100%, based af W take

Granted, we live in an era where your dating preferences are "offensive" and where people can't leave their homes without having panic attacks. So this news doesn't surprise me. At SOME point people have to realize just how ridiculous all this shit is. If you're getting your feelings hurt over the name of a bird, then you don't have any real problems.

Regardless of where you stand politically, we all have lives beyond catering to your specific wants and needs. If you're going around getting offended by ornithology, that's on you. Really all there is to it: in the hundreds of billions of years that Earth has existed, it's never been a kind place to live, and it never will be a kind place to live. This is not me being an insensitive jerk, it's just reality.
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Can't post links, but I'm sure everyone knows what happened in Baltimore early this morning. Unbelievable footage, and utterly terrifying. Unfortunately, it sounds like there are definite deaths, but it also sounds like quick thinking saved many lives. This is going to have some serious knock-on effects, too. One of the busiest ports AND busiest roads in the eastern U.S. is currently out of service.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:37 pm Can't post links, but I'm sure everyone knows what happened in Baltimore early this morning. Unbelievable footage, and utterly terrifying. Unfortunately, it sounds like there are definite deaths, but it also sounds like quick thinking saved many lives. This is going to have some serious knock-on effects, too. One of the busiest ports AND busiest roads in the eastern U.S. is currently out of service.
Yes, wow that's crazy. One of my big fears is actually being on bridges, incase it collapses.

I don't mean to trivialize it, but this really looks like something out of a disaster movie or G14 (which for context I watched last night). It's crazy and scary seeing infrastructure fall apart. At least (?) it appears to be caused by the boat, which maybe means the bridge was safe and this was caused by human error (is that better or worse?).

But actually, it's being reported that the ship had some major mechanical outage, causing it to become irreversible. Hmmm.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

It seems the ship totally lost power, and when the back-up kicked in it might have actually pushed it into the collision. Right now it looks like the absolute worse kind of freak accident, but crews are only just getting to board the vessel. The travel recorders might shed some light on what went wrong.

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm
I don't mean to trivialize it, but this really looks like something out of a disaster movie or G14 (which for context I watched last night).

It was my first thought too, I think because it's just so hard to process something like that happening in reality. For those who don't know, the Key Bridge was massive, one of the longest truss bridges in the world. And in less than a minute, it was just gone. That kind of thing isn't supposed to happen in real life.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

People are already blaming diversity and wokeness and the open border for the bridge's collapse.

Because of course they are.
He/him/his

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Anything to support the agenda of these monsters.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Iran launched a retaliatory attack of hundreds of drones at Israel...

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Sydney’s beloved Assyrian Orthodox Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel is attacked by what is most likely an Islamic terrorist, yelling “Allahu Akbar!”. Others are stabbed as well.

The second Sydney attack in three days, absolutely tragic and insane. This isn’t the country I grew up in.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 am Sydney’s beloved Assyrian Orthodox Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel is attacked by what is most likely an Islamic terrorist, yelling “Allahu Akbar!”. Others are stabbed as well.

The second Sydney attack in three days, absolutely tragic and insane. This isn’t the country I grew up in.
I have removed the link you embedded as I personally don’t think it’s a great idea to perpetuate graphic material. Likewise, given the source you were sharing from, let’s wait for more confirmation on exactly what happened.

In any case, I’m sorry that such events are rocking your community and area.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My bad about the link ^
For Emperor and Empire!