Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by eabaker »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:08 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:09 pm If only this movie’s production didn’t face the budget cuts that it did. This film would’ve probably be hailed as one of the best in the franchise.
I think many people hold it in that esteem regardless of the stock footage and music.
Well, I rarely see it cited as one of the best, but it seems to be a favorite for a lot of fans.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

There were so many posts about this film on my FB feed this past weekend and continuing this week. People LOVE this movie.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The stock music doesn't bother me at all, if Tarantino can use other film scores and pop music ad-nausem I think it's fine to re-use Godzilla music in a Godzilla movie.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

I love this movie. One of the ones I owned as a kid in the early 90's on VHS, so it's definitely one of the G movies I have watched the most. The stock footage is jarring at times, but I think the choice of music is fantastic. Unlike the stock footage, the stock music fits very well. Gigan is an awesome, original design, the final battle is epic...and Godzilla bleeds twice! This movie just blew my mind as a kid.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

This film also has some of the most compelling human characters in the series, I think. I somehow reate to all of hem, at least to an extent.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They are interesting characters, and they also make for the most unlikely heroes. Their solution for destroying the tower is a good example of that. It's absurd idea, but clever at the same time.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've mentioned this on here before, but I love the way the manga theme is woven into different aspects of the story. There was very little reason, in the midst of this crisis, for Gengo to take the time to do a life sized drawing of the whole gang in action poses, but when that elevator door opens revealing them in all their heroic black and white glory, it's such an rush!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:52 pm There was very little reason, in the midst of this crisis, for Gengo to take the time to do a life sized drawing of the whole gang in action poses,
Wasn't the reason to trick the aliens into shooting the explosives and setting them off? Or am I misremembering?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:30 pm
eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:52 pm There was very little reason, in the midst of this crisis, for Gengo to take the time to do a life sized drawing of the whole gang in action poses,
Wasn't the reason to trick the aliens into shooting the explosives and setting them off? Or am I misremembering?
It was the point but what I think eabaker is trying to say. Is Godzilla and friends is getting their ass kicked and someone mangaka took the time to do a 1:1 scale which the thought of is comical. Or the art was done before hand which would make more sense instead of an on the fly improv.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I mean, it has a narrative purpose, but my first thought in that scenario certainly wouldn't be "we should use line drawings as decoys!" It's a moment of comic (no pun intended) absurdity, in a pretty gleefully absurd movie.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The Nebulans were so suspicious, I'm shocked they got as far as they did without raising more suspicion from the government.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Hiding something out in the open is a good way to hide sometimes. They are a charity, and I doubt most people would suspect a base of invasion in the middle of a project meant for children and education.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:31 pm Hiding something out in the open is a good way to hide sometimes. They are a charity, and I doubt most people would suspect a base of invasion in the middle of a project meant for children and education.
Yeah I feel you. Still, they were acting sketchy the entire film! Never seen a woman scrambling to get away from the offices of a charity before!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Considering the film takes place in the early 70's, nothing about the Nrbulans plan really feels that out of place. Around that time in Japan, a lot of whacky and psychedelic designs and amusement parks/things were being made nationwide. Japan was big on the "World Expo", and actually Godzilla Tower and Children's land doesn't seem out of place when you consider Tower of the Sun was a legitimate thing.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:19 pm Considering the film takes place in the early 70's, nothing about the Nrbulans plan really feels that out of place. Around that time in Japan, a lot of whacky and psychedelic designs and amusement parks/things were being made nationwide. Japan was big on the "World Expo", and actually Godzilla Tower and Children's land doesn't seem out of place when you consider Tower of the Sun was a legitimate thing.
It's not the G Tower or anything that sketches me out about them, that I understand. It's more the fact they seem to operate more like the mob than a charity organization! They don't seem to shy about it either!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone recall the unmade film Godzilla Vs Redmoon, which was supposed to come out the same year as this one? Well since Tsupro was set to co-produce said film with Toho, a deal of which didn't pass, imagine if they were kind enough to support Toho with this movie instead?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm Does anyone recall the unmade film Godzilla Vs Redmoon, which was supposed to come out the same year as this one? Well since Tsupro was set to co-produce said film with Toho, a deal of which didn't pass, imagine if they were kind enough to support Toho with this movie instead?
We probably wouldn't have had as much stock footage which is a plus. I love this movie but it's one blemish is the rather slapdash use of old footage, specifically the GTTHM fight scenes poorly tinted to look like nighttime shots.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:06 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm Does anyone recall the unmade film Godzilla Vs Redmoon, which was supposed to come out the same year as this one? Well since Tsupro was set to co-produce said film with Toho, a deal of which didn't pass, imagine if they were kind enough to support Toho with this movie instead?
We probably wouldn't have had as much stock footage which is a plus. I love this movie but it's one blemish is the rather slapdash use of old footage, specifically the GTTHM fight scenes poorly tinted to look like nighttime shots.
That brief scene that shows Mothra randomly at the scene is probably the worst offender, huh?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:06 am
Realistically, do you think they could’ve had at least half the stock-footage?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:40 am Realistically, do you think they could’ve had at least half the stock-footage?
I don't know? I don't really know or care enough to tally up how much footage was reused vs. newly shot.