Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:08 pm Care to explain why you feel that way? Are you one of those people who equates different with good?
Dude, what the skreeonk?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:08 pm
Maritonic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 pm Yeah I don't see anyone saying you can't post any critical opinions, so, not sure what's up with the random post.

Also, as an aside, GMK Ghidorah is my favorite Ghidorah.
Care to explain why you feel that way? Are you one of those people who equates different with good?
You know you could have asked that without coming off as rude, right?
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Maritonic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 pm Yeah I don't see anyone saying you can't post any critical opinions, so, not sure what's up with the random post.

Care to explain why you feel that way? Are you one of those people who equates different with good?
See this is why people get mad about you critiquing GMK and Shin.

Not because those films are perfect and can't be criticized but because you love to be an asshole about it and insult people for liking something you don't like.

RIP Evan.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:59 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 pm Recently I found out some information that surprised the heck outta me:

The Godzilla in GMK is not the same Godzilla from the 1954 film. He’s actually a second Godzilla who just got unlucky enough to be possessed by the souls of WWII.
Where and how did you find out that?
Wikizilla pointed out the existence of something called the Toho Special Effects Movie Complete Works, a book which goes out of its way to distinguish the two Godzillas as being separate individuals.

Furthermore, both the Japanese and English dubs of the movie itself state that the Godzilla in that film was not created by the vengeful spirits, but that "they have congregated inside the monster's body."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm

See this is why people get mad about you critiquing GMK and Shin.

Not because those films are perfect and can't be criticized but because you love to be an asshole about it and insult people for liking something you don't like.
It can be difficult to not come across as being as asshole when you deal with people who have different opinions than your own.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:14 pm It can be difficult to not come across as being as asshole when you deal with people who have different opinions than your own.
I respectfully disagree. From personal experience, even if one's gut reaction would come across as negatively charged, a few moments - or, if the issue is complex, a few minutes or more - of reflection before posting (or even by way of a quick re-write after hitting "submit") can often allow you to discuss differing opinions without giving an impression of derision toward the other party.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:14 pm It can be difficult to not come across as being as asshole when you deal with people who have different opinions than your own.
I respectfully disagree. From personal experience, even if one's gut reaction would come across as negatively charged, a few moments - or, if the issue is complex, a few minutes or more - of reflection before posting (or even by way of a quick re-write after hitting "submit") can often allow you to discuss differing opinions without giving an impression of derision toward the other party.
If you were me, how would’ve you expressed your differing opinions? Could you give me tips on how to be more civil with this issue in the future?

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

@LegendZilla

If you're not going to respectfully explain why you don't care for GMK or Shin, or even why you don't think the Heisei era deserves all the flak, then don't bother even posting in this topic. All you're doing is getting everyone pissed off at you. Failure to comply will just warrant you a double warning.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^You have my most humble apologies for causing a fuss.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

No thanks. Guess I'm just one of those that doesnt need to justify my opinion simply because someone disagrees. :)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

eabaker wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm
Well, consider this:

"Care to explain why you feel that way? Are you one of those people who equates different with good?"

Your first question is obviously fine. You're just asking Mari to explain himself. But then in your second question, you seem to be questioning the validity of the opinion, implying that Mari is a part of some collective "other" who are viewing things through a flawed lens.

Why jump to assigning a reason behind his opinion?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If someone disagrees with me on a topic, you know what I do? I simply state my case. "I think that..." etc. No more, no less. What I don't do is to act condescending to that other person because we disagree. Why? Because I'm a functional adult who realizes that pissing contest arguments, especially over recurring dinosaur infestation movies, are childish.

If you really can't understand something as simple as "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" than I have no idea what on Earth you're doing on a discussion forum, for heaven's sake.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Sometimes people just like things because they like things. Crazy shiz, isn't it Legend?

I love this King Ghidorah too, Maritonic. I prefer KG with eastern influences, adds a few details that make him stand out more than he already does. Showa beats him just a bit in my ranking.

Regarding the two Godzillas, I can't agree with that. Part of this film's punch is that the original Godzilla has returned with fiery vengence, it's clear in the film that this was the original Godzilla.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:02 pm Part of this film's punch is that the original Godzilla has returned with fiery vengence, it's clear in the film that this was the original Godzilla.
Not really. It explicitly states that Serizawa killed the original Godzilla and that it was covered up as being killed by the JSDF. There's really nothing connecting most of the film's stance towards Godzilla with it absolutely being the same one from 1954. Most of the mantra surrounding Godzilla is equating him to something that happened so long ago it's not really taken seriously or even believed to have happened, much like the events of World War 2. That's not to say the film doesn't work if it's the same one, just that nothing in the film really hinges on it being the same Godzilla.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

At the end of the day, whether or not someone likes or dislikes a movie all comes down to personal taste. It doesn't always come down to whether or not it's objectively good or bad, but sometimes a movie's creative choices aren't a viewer's cup of tea. I hope this can bring some more understanding.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 pm At the end of the day, whether or not someone likes or dislikes a movie all comes down to personal taste. It doesn't always come down to whether or not it's objectively good or bad, but sometimes a movie's creative choices aren't a viewer's cup of tea. I hope this can bring some more understanding.
I don’t think we’re the people that need to be told that.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pmWikizilla pointed out the existence of something called the Toho Special Effects Movie Complete Works, a book which goes out of its way to distinguish the two Godzillas as being separate individuals.

Furthermore, both the Japanese and English dubs of the movie itself state that the Godzilla in that film was not created by the vengeful spirits, but that "they have congregated inside the monster's body."
Huh. I always thought the GMK Godzilla was just the remains of the original '54 specimen revived and reanimated by those who were killed and slaughtered by Japan's Imperial forces in WW2.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:55 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pmWikizilla pointed out the existence of something called the Toho Special Effects Movie Complete Works, a book which goes out of its way to distinguish the two Godzillas as being separate individuals.

Huh. I always thought the GMK Godzilla was just the remains of the original '54 specimen revived and reanimated by those who were killed and slaughtered by Japan's Imperial forces in WW2.
I thought so too, until I was exposed to this new information.

Poor GMK Goji. He’s just a poor random individual who just so happened to blunder across a bunch of ghosts who had nothing to do with him and was thus in for a really REALLY bad day.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like how the spirits collectively agreed the best course of action against Japan was to possess a giant nuclear powered dinosaur.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm I like how the spirits collectively agreed the best course of action against Japan was to possess a giant nuclear powered dinosaur.
You see it's not just a simple giant nuclear powered dinosaur.
It's a giant nuclear powered METAPHOR dinosaur.
Sprits recognize allegorical storytelling potential better than the living. I saw it on Ghost Adventures!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.