Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:57 pmSo maybe this version of Ghidorah is able to be either good or evil, like Heisei Gamera.
No not exactly. Didn't word it exactly right.

What I mean was GMK Ghidorah is the Yamata-no-Orochi, a destructive beast but prior to that was defeated by a group of warriors who sealed him away being purified now used as a force of good forward once unleashed.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu May 19, 2022 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:57 pmSo maybe this version of Ghidorah is able to be either good or evil, like Heisei Gamera.
No not exactly. Didn't word it exactly right.

What I mean was GMK Ghidorah is the Yamata-no-Orochi, a destructive beast bur prior to that was defeated by a group of warriors who sealed him away being purified now used as a force of good forward once unleashed.
Judging by how you put it, the same could potentially happen with Godzilla in this movie's timeline.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed May 18, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If the guardian monsters were able to exorcise the angry spirits from Godzilla, it might be possible. But first Godzilla will have to grow a new body.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:18 pm If the guardian monsters were able to exorcise the angry spirits from Godzilla, it might be possible. But first Godzilla will have to grow a new body.
You could always do it with the heart alone.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri May 20, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

idk the above posts just looked like someone was saying that it was too goffy

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I have often heard that Ghidorah is supposed to have Varan’s facial features but I see much more resemblance to Anguirus, particularly the large incisors and the row of spikes that travel left to right along the rear/top of the skull.

Can someone share images to help me see what I’m missing?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Image sharing is not my thing but a big feature both monsters share in common are the three horns that lay flat against both sides of their heads.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

SpiderZilla wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:45 pm I have often heard that Ghidorah is supposed to have Varan’s facial features but I see much more resemblance to Anguirus, particularly the large incisors and the row of spikes that travel left to right along the rear/top of the skull.

Can someone share images to help me see what I’m missing?
think more of the nasal bridge and how the dace has a forward ) wrinkly shape position of the eyes and take varans I guess back part of the jawline? spikes and replace it by ghidorah's the overall shape is waaay more varan than anguirus

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree. The facial structure is more like Varan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Anguirus always had a much more… ‘conical’ snout.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

How are the monsters able to dive in the waters around Yokohama?

The maximum depth is only about 40 feet and that's in a shipping channel.

We know the monsters are 100's of feet tall but Godzilla and Ghidorah can be seen diving multiple times their own height during their fight scene.

https://www.searates.com/port/yokohama_jp

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Easiest answer is the Toho-universe version of Yokohama is much deeper. Similar to GVM being a sort of alternate reality Earth with plasma being the dominant energy source.

Course the more out of universe one is Toho didn't think about water depth for the scene.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Water Depth in Yokohama, is a very interesting topic that I never thought of. I agree it really doesn't matter in the long run, but it's fun to think about. Really the Yokohama Bay Bridge /横浜ベイブリッジ (copy and paste the kanji into Google if you want to see where exactly this was) provides us a good reference point. But is this outside Yokohama Bay? Or Tokyo Bay? It's this weird thing where Yokohama Bay leads to Tokyo Bay.

I do recall at one point seeing Ghidorah lying on the seafloor, so even for oceans the film is a little accurate at not portraying some deepsea 1000 meter drop off, just a little outside the city. I imagine that fight being like if two kids were in a 12 feet foot pool. Big enough that there's a lot of room to move around in, but not impossibly large.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Oh no it's the Hudson River in G98 situation again :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It just occurred to me that Yuri is an updated Junko from MvG '64.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:52 pm It just occurred to me that Yuri is an updated Junko from MvG '64.
If you mean both are women and work taking photos, then yes, you’re absolutely right. Yuri is definitely an updated version of Junko, 100%. Yuri isn’t her own character, with her own motivations and relations to the people around her, including her father.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:52 pm It just occurred to me that Yuri is an updated Junko from MvG '64.
If you mean both are women and work taking photos, then yes, you’re absolutely right. Yuri is definitely an updated version of Junko, 100%. Yuri isn’t her own character, with her own motivations and relations to the people around her, including her father.
Did I say she's not her own character? All I'm doing is drawing parallels.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My only point was that other than being women with cameras, there’s barely any similarities between the two. It diminishes Yuri’s unique role in the franchise. She’s not even a real reporter, a point of contention in the film. She’s a tabloid blogger that makes shit up.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:04 am My only point was that other than being women with cameras, there’s barely any similarities between the two. It diminishes Yuri’s unique role in the franchise. She’s not even a real reporter, a point of contention in the film. She’s a tabloid blogger that makes shit up.
Plus, isn't that the point of her whole arc in the first place? If I'm not correct, as the film progresses, she becomes a reporter to inform the masses of the now very real stakes the country is facing due to the threat of Godzilla.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:04 am My only point was that other than being women with cameras, there’s barely any similarities between the two. It diminishes Yuri’s unique role in the franchise. She’s not even a real reporter, a point of contention in the film. She’s a tabloid blogger that makes shit up.
Plus, isn't that the point of her whole arc in the first place? If I'm not correct, as the film progresses, she becomes a reporter to inform the masses of the now very real stakes the country is facing due to the threat of Godzilla.
Yep.

Yuri might be my favorite character in the Millenium series, other than the Shinoda family/Katagiri group in G2000. She has good drama with her dad, which isn’t overblown, but is very realistic, and I love how it all connects.