Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by edgaguirus »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:07 pm So, among those who do like this movie, do you prefer the original Japanese version or the dub?
I don't think I've ever seen the Japanese cut before. Are there any major differences between the Dub and original?
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gee, I’m terribly sorry that I don’t quite understand a movie so far removed to me as Godzilla’s Revenge.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:39 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:07 pm So, among those who do like this movie, do you prefer the original Japanese version or the dub?
I don't think I've ever seen the Japanese cut before. Are there any major differences between the Dub and original?
The title music (reprised early in the film) is replaced by library music in the U.S. version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nothing substantial, besides the different opening credits/music.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:49 pm
I think its the first Godzilla movie whose Americanizarion doesn't cut a single frame of footage aside from the Toho logo, and even that was replaced with the UPA title card, so both versions run at an almost identical length.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:49 pm
Minya's got a more tolerable voice.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Agreed, the dubbed voice was one of the worst fitting voices I’ve ever heard in a dub.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sometimes we as Godzilla fans just don't like films to not like them. I understand why Shin was made the way it was and how important it was for Japan at the time but I still don't like that film and never will despite the amazing arguments people can come up to defend the film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I have bad memories of the dub, but that's probably because I initially saw it on this DVD. As with pretty much all of the Classic Media Early 2000s releases, the quality was bad.

I haven't seen the English Dub presented better, and I'll need to check if the 2008 Classic Media disc includes a better English version. I may try to give it a rewatch sometime with the English dub.

I think Minya's English voice sounds silly and goofy, but again, the film has some weirdly memorable quotes from Minya in the English Dub. If I had to describe Minya's voice in the Japanese dub, it's much less dopey, and a bit more calming. Monster March is a fun song, that fits the tone of the movie well, but I have a soft spot for Crime Fiction, as it is super expiremental, at least for a Godzilla theme.

I think the film is also alterened by how you experience it. If you watch this as part of a marathon, and have recently seen EHOTD, SOG, and DAM, then I imagine that the film will be much more tiring. If you don't, I think the stock footage fights are much more entertaining, as you're essentially getting a bunch of Godzilla action crammed into a short span. And sure, Gabara may be one of the weakest Godzilla foes, as in nowhere nearly as memorable as Hedorah, Gigan, Biollante etc... but people seem to ignore that there's a substantial amount of new footage, including a brief, but satisfying fight of Godzilla kicking the crap out of Gabara. I think AMA is best watched in a bubble. It has no tangible connections to the previous or following films in universe, so you don't really get any fun easter eggs or rewards.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The second Classic Media release should be a better viewing experience for you because at least the print of the dub is in widescreen, so that alone should make it more watchable.

By the way, does anyone else get the feeling that Minya's voice in the Japanese version is not dubbed in, and is coming from somewhere on set, perhaps even from the suit itself? It sounds like the voice is coming out of something and doesn't sound nearly as robust of Ichiro's voice.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Japanese voice is heavily processed or filtered in some manner, I think maybe to make it sound a little more like Minya's monster sound effects in a way a human voice couldn't.

LSD: There's a faithful HD recreation of the U.S. version on a certain easily accessible media streaming/library site.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You're probably right. The voice has that same sound quality that Minya's whiny, donkey braying cry does.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:41 pm You're probably right. The voice has that same sound quality that Minya's whiny, donkey braying cry does.
There's one early scene where the voice actress has a typical interjection ("Ehhhh?") that I think sounds exactly like Minya's "sigh" heard a few times in Son of Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Good catch. Love how the sound designer was really bringing his A game to this when he honestly didn't need to.

Same with the effects crew. They didn't NEED to matte palm trees into certain shots, and they look pretty wonky, but they went the extra mile.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:54 pm Same with the effects crew. They didn't NEED to matte palm trees into certain shots, and they look pretty wonky, but they went the extra mile.
They didn't need to include the plane sequence either. It's a minor detail, but it's also a scene I love. It really solidifes the idea that Ichiro is imagining he is going to Monster Island, as in a journey, versus simply just waking up there,

Added in 3 minutes 28 seconds:
I know this might seem like a weird comment, but I really enjoyed reading the first page of this thread. It showcases that this debate and re-appreciation of Godzilla's Revenge is not new. However it also confirms we're spinning our wheels in the mud at this point. Oh well. Feels a bit sad to see all those members who are no longer active having nice conversations about it too.Gaurdian 7's massive essay on page 3 is an interesting read, and makes me feel better about my own essay a few pages back.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh right the plane. Kid me thought those people were killed on the way over. Well dream people killed.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Thanks for all the responses.

The plane scene was a good mix of realism and fantasy. That he ends up alone on the plane shows that this is his fantasy, but also reinforces the fact that Ichiro feels alone in real life.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've never actually seen the original Japanese version. I remember the dub being pretty decent, but I don't really care about quality where this movie is concerned. For all that is actually intelligent and well crafted about it, it's still a goofy kids' adventure about Ichiro and Minya watching stock footage and standing up to nonthreatening bullies. It can have its shoddy and absurd elements, I don't mind. Minya's dub voice is hysterical, and that's okay. Some things don't need to be taken seriously to be enjoyed.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm not all that wild for either Gabera or Space Godzilla but I like this!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbALXp3WQAA ... name=small
Space Gabera!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I am going to give my short review. Suffice to say, I don't like the film, but it's not because of cliche Godzilla fan hatred for stock footage or being a kids film. The good:
1. Ichiro is a good actor and is charismatic for his age.
2. The pacing is good.
3. The new footage is entertaining, especially Gabara getting beaten by Godzilla without using his Atomic breath.
4. The setting and overall plot isn't bad, particularly the working parents.

Now the reasons why I'm not fond of it:
1. The biggest criticism is the ending. I'm guessing it was accidental, but it makes it seem like Ichiro becomes a bully/delinquent. If this movie had intended to be an overall family film like ultraman, I could see it having a message to adults that if we over work and don't allow parents time to properly raise kids, then society will be filled with delinquents one days. But since this was made for really young children, the message comes across as "to be a bully, one must become a bully". If the movie had simply ended with Ichiro walking off after beating Gabara, then the movies message of gaining courage and sometimes fighting would have worked.
2. The actor who plays as the toy maker/Doctor Death from Kamen Rider was a little lackluster. He was phoning in his lines imo and according to Steve Ryfle's Japan's Favorite Monstar he hated his role in this movie.
3. Godzilla attacking Ichiro in his dream was kinda weird and Ichiro was crying before the Robbers woke him up.
4. Why did the robbers even kidnap Ichiro in the first place? I understand they came to get their wallet that he found but how exactly was he supposed to be their passport by kidnapping him? It's obvious they woke Ichiro up. They could have just sneak off to get their wallet without waking him.

So overall I'm in agreement with Steve Ryfle's rating of this movie at 2/5. Granted he was less harsh than I was.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.