Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

Post by Terasawa »

From another thread:
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm Anyone care to guess what prevented Destroy All Monsters from receiving a western home video release until the late 90's?
It did, though: it was first released on video in the UK in 1992. In America, however, it's probably simply because Orion's rights lapsed no earlier than 1989 (it was still in an Orion TV package that year). Orion had earlier licensed some of its AIP library to HBO Video and other distributors and founded its own video division in the late '80s, but many, many, many AIP and AITV titles were never released by Orion Home Video (or through its earlier contracts with HBO, et al). So, the rights lapsed and reverted to Toho, and no American video label licensed the film until 1998.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Lovely movie, I'm proud to have a copy of it

in my country, the local translated title somehow includes King Kong ("The Heirs of King Kong") because we reallyyy loved De Laurentiis back then I guess
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:43 pm From another thread:
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm Anyone care to guess what prevented Destroy All Monsters from receiving a western home video release until the late 90's?
It did, though: it was first released on video in the UK in 1992. In America, however, it's probably simply because Orion's rights lapsed no earlier than 1989 (it was still in an Orion TV package that year). Orion had earlier licensed some of its AIP library to HBO Video and other distributors and founded its own video division in the late '80s, but many, many, many AIP and AITV titles were never released by Orion Home Video (or through its earlier contracts with HBO, et al). So, the rights lapsed and reverted to Toho, and no American video label licensed the film until 1998.
So you’re saying we could’ve gotten the film as part of the same pack of Orion releases that included the likes of Guilala, Gappa, Hedorah and Yongary. But the company’s licence for the film expired at the last minute?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:43 am
Terasawa wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:43 pm From another thread:
So you’re saying we could’ve gotten the film as part of the same pack of Orion releases that included the likes of Guilala, Gappa, Hedorah and Yongary. But the company’s licence for the film expired at the last minute?
Not precisely. I don't know exactly when Orion's rights to DAM reverted to Toho, but it was most likely between 1989 (according to the Television Programming Source Books 1989, DAM was still in Orion's "Sci-Fi 63" syndication package) and 1996, when the Toho-licensed export version first turned up on the Sci-Fi Channel.

What I was trying to say was that a lot of AIP titles held by Orion weren't released on video before the late '90s (by which time it seems almost certain that DAM had reverted to Toho), not that 1989 was the last possible date Orion Home Video could have released DAM. I also don't know if DAM would or even could have been released on video by Orion or one of its contractors.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

This movie featured the SY-3
Battle in outer space featured the SY-1
But in which movie was the SY-2?
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:57 pm Battle in outer space featured the SY-1
I’m gonna need a source for this.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Seconded for sauce, only because I'm unable to watch BioS right now
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:57 pm This movie featured the SY-3
Weren't the ships in BiOS called SPIP 1 and 2?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:00 pm
Gailah 1966 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:57 pm This movie featured the SY-3
Weren't the ships in BiOS called SPIP 1 and 2?
SY-1 was the space station at the beginning of the movie. The radio operator says it during his report to earth before the station gets destroyed.

So the SY-2 should be in a Toho movie between 1959 and 1968.
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Watched the US version last night. The dub was actually hilarious (though, in the grand scheme of dubs, fairly stereotypical). Effects were the usual mixed bag, but certainly not bad for Showa. The human plot was pretty long and weirdly paced. The kaiju parts, however (oh, ho ho!). Music was Ifukube.
Was anyone else really turned off by the autopsy and earring scenes?
Also, this is Showa Ghidorah's canonical death, is it not?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Follinollante wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm Watched the US version last night. The dub was actually hilarious (though, in the grand scheme of dubs, fairly stereotypical). Effects were the usual mixed bag, but certainly not bad for Showa. The human plot was pretty long and weirdly paced. The kaiju parts, however (oh, ho ho!). Music was Ifukube.
Yes, it is. It's also the end of the Showa storyline.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Follinollante wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm
Not at all. The autopsy adds body to the plot.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Follinollante wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm Watched the US version last night. The dub was actually hilarious (though, in the grand scheme of dubs, fairly stereotypical). Effects were the usual mixed bag, but certainly not bad for Showa. The human plot was pretty long and weirdly paced. The kaiju parts, however (oh, ho ho!). Music was Ifukube.
According to Toho, yeah it's his final death, although based on early drafts of Godzilla vs. Gigan, I think they were at least briefly intending to suggest the 70s films followed it. as early drafts for that film focused on King Ghidorah's return post-DAM. Toho has since clarified the 70s films are set before DAM, which is accepted by fans.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JVM wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:32 pm
According to Toho, yeah it's his final death, although based on early drafts of Godzilla vs. Gigan, I think they were at least briefly intending to suggest the 70s films followed it. as early drafts for that film focused on King Ghidorah's return post-DAM. Toho has since clarified the 70s films are set before DAM, which is accepted by fans.
Not only those, but the 1973 Toho TV series Zone Fighter as well.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue May 09, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Wait, so Godzilla got 5 prequel movies immediately after DaM?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Not really. The continuity of the Showa movies was very loose, aside from Ghidorah "returning from the dead" in Godzilla vs. Gigan, there's nothing to really suggest the 70s movies take place before DAM. It's only been in the years since that DAM has "officially" been considered the end of the Showa era.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:10 am Not really. The continuity of the Showa movies was very loose, aside from Ghidorah "returning from the dead" in Godzilla vs. Gigan, there's nothing to really suggest the 70s movies take place before DAM. It's only been in the years since that DAM has "officially" been considered the end of the Showa era.
DAM is set in 199x and the 70's films are clearly set in the 70's.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:10 am Not really. The continuity of the Showa movies was very loose, aside from Ghidorah "returning from the dead" in Godzilla vs. Gigan, there's nothing to really suggest the 70s movies take place before DAM. It's only been in the years since that DAM has "officially" been considered the end of the Showa era.
Not really, my friend. Godzilla vs. Gigan has a scene in it about scientists having a base (or something like that) on Monster Island. Maybe this was the earliest implacations of Monsterland in the Ogasawara Islands by 1999 or 2000 (this is what I think is meant by "the end of the 20th century" mentioned in the Japanese version).

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Don't overthink it. There's nothing in Revenge, Gigan or Megalon that states that the Monster Island in those films is the same as Monsterland in Destroy all Monsters. Don't look so hard for continuity that isn't there and was never intended.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The most "futuristic" thing about DAM is the existence of a moon base. According to Monster Zero, we've been capable of interplanetary space travel since the 1960s, which is honestly more futuristic than establishing a base on the moon. The Japanese version of DAM doesn't specify 1999, just that the film takes place at the end of the 20th Century. None of the 70s films make explicitly clear when they're set, and could be set after DAM just as easily as before based on the actual onscreen evidence we see. Even King Ghidorah's return in GvG can be explained by the fact that there are supposedly two Showa Ghidorahs, though just like DAM being the end of the Showa era, this is retroactive information that came out years after the fact.

Like Legion said, these films never tried very hard to have continuity. As far as I'm concerned, anything that isn't explicitly stated in the films themselves is "head canon." While I'm in favor of considering DAM the final film chronologically in the Showa continuity, I'd call it a big stretch to refer to the six subsequent films as "prequels."
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy