Lost Projects:NESSIE

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The One and Only
Futurian

Lost Projects:NESSIE

Post by The One and Only »

This particular lost project, Nessie(http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room/nessie.htm), one of those sadly "never happened" projects that never materialized sadly. :( Especially considering the particular beast this flick was too be based upon, the Loch Ness Monster, one of the world's most famous cryptids, has never seemed to get any decent treatment cinematically. This flick was a joint production between Toho, and Hammer Pictures. The studio known for its legendary horror pictures. However the House That Dripped Blood's own myriad of finacial problems, and numerous delays in getting filming started. Caused the flick to be dropped. Although Toho effects guru, Terusyoshi Nakano, even constructed a prop for the rampaging cryptid.
This cool bugger, still got some work in 1987's Princess of the Moon. Some of what was revealed to occur in Nessie sounded interesting. From underwater ruins, and in Nessie's leaving its familiar surroundings in the Loch, the monster commiting acts of destruction to an oil rig. This sounded leaps and bounds better than such attempts of fillmaking involving Nessie such as The Loch Ness Horror, Beneath Loch Ness, or SyFy's usual crapporama, Beyond Loch Ness. Thoughts on this. Do you think it would've been neat-o late 70's nature gone amok flicks like JAWS, PIRANHA, or ALLIGATOR ? Or Roger Corman's Up From The Depths ?
Last edited by The One and Only on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Lost Projects:NESSIE

Post by cloverfan98 »

I haven't read this yet so I can't know for sure, but I believe I found the script for this project.

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduced/ ... -loch-ness

As a Monster Movie fan, and intrested in Loch Ness I totatly would love to have seen this.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This would have been an interesting project. The prop looks good, and Nessie has world wide appeal.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Definitively would have been interesting. Nessie on a rampage? Awesome.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ Well that's mainly due to the fact that people interpret that the movie would have been awesome, but Toho usually has their reasons as to why they didn't make those "awesome" movies. Besides, I could see this movie attempting to be good, but only end up being sub-par or below.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

The One and Only
Futurian

Maybe, maybe not. But looking at what we've ended up with in the interim since NESSIE was dropped ,and what other flicks ended up getting made based on the same subject :mad: . Maybe it would've turned out great, or at least waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better. Besides, this is the internet, speculation is the coin of the realm.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Hellspawn28 wrote:It would have been a cool flick. I always think they should have made it into a Godzilla vs. Nessie flick instend.
Just name that Godzilla Vs Manda. No need to bring in another serpent into the Kaiju roster.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I would've loved to see Toho's take on this legendary cryptid.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Yeah I want to see that Crater Lake Monster Movie too. I've always loved Lake Monsters, but there's never been a really good one that I've seen so far.

The One and Only
Futurian

The only good lake monster flick that really pops into my noggin would probably be, LAKE PLACID, although that probably goes more in to the killer croc/gator terriitory, than lake monster.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We'll have to be satisfied, cryptid wise, with Half Human.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The One and Only
Futurian

Or better yet, 2006's ABOMINABLE.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The One and Only wrote:Or better yet, 2006's ABOMINABLE.
Believe it or not, I actually liked this movie. I thought Syfy made it, but they didn't. That must explain why it appealed to me. :lol:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ Did Asylum make that movie...it looks like something they would conjure up in their deep dark pathetic studio? (Sorry I can't stand Asylum)

The One and Only
Futurian

The ABOMINABLE poster shown there, and on the first DVD of the flick was painted/drawn by the same gentleman who did the posterart for all the Star Wars flicks, Indiana Jones, Back To the Future Trilogy, and a metric ton of classics from our youth. And ABOMINABLE was an indepeendent picture that was quite popular on the film festival circuit. Then its debute on the Sci-Fi Channel was one of their highest rated Saturday night flicks, before it was picked up by Anchor Bay Video for distribution on DVD format. A few years back a sequel, according to the flick's director/writer, a sequel was being co-scripted with the Godfather of G.I. JOE, Larry Hama. The plot featured a group of National Guard soldiers in the Flatwoods Mountains having to fight for their lives against other members of the creature killed in the first.

Danit67
Ronin

Post by Danit67 »

A toho version of Nessie... It would be interesting to see.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I think this movie would have sucked.

No, not really, I'd have rather seen this than any of the Godzilla lost projects. This had real potential, unlike the Godzilla projects in that this wasn't just a new star vehicle for the same character(s) and/or someone new. No, this was a unique project, and a joint between two famous film companies.

I'd take this over any of the stupid Bagan movies any day.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Eh, if this was made, it could've gone one of two ways. It could've been okay, or it could've sucked. I would've seen it either way. We already had the Giant Sea Snake from King Kong Escapes by the time this was released, along with Manda. There really would be no need for another serpentine kaiju. I would've seen it either way.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I do think it's unfortunate this never came about, even if the monster itself actually did get used in a different movie many years later. A well done Loch Ness Monster picture would've had some solid appeal in the western world, I suspect.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The fact Nessie was the star would have drawn interest. It probably would have shown up on tv.