Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am 7: Not a big fan of Mechani-Kong here. On the other hand, I really like how Gabara looks here. Or is that Salunga? Can't really tell these days :lol:
Some sources supposed Gabara as a mutant frog. I'm guessing this design is trying to reflect that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gugenheim98 returns with another hit, a rhino-esque Jiger!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Not a fan of the relatively smaller limbs, otherwise, it's pretty good.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I don't get why GavinDiablo decided to merge Godzilla with Power Rangers.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:27 pm ^I don't get why GavinDiablo decided to merge Godzilla with Power Rangers.
???

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:01 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am 7: Not a big fan of Mechani-Kong here. On the other hand, I really like how Gabara looks here. Or is that Salunga? Can't really tell these days :lol:
Some sources supposed Gabara as a mutant frog. I'm guessing this design is trying to reflect that.
I'd heard Gabara was a mutant toad, or an ogre-like kaiju with the characteristics of a toad.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I like a lot about this Gigan but I just can't ignore how bottom-heavy it is, not even to mention its... unfortunate saw placement.
By ryochang.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:11 pm I like a lot about this Gigan but I just can't ignore how bottom-heavy it is, not even to mention its... unfortunate saw placement.
By ryochang.
I think it would be very difficult for that Gigan to run or walk. The saw placement just isn't right.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:25 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:11 pm I like a lot about this Gigan but I just can't ignore how bottom-heavy it is, not even to mention its... unfortunate saw placement.
By ryochang.
I think it would be very difficult for that Gigan to run or walk. The saw placement just isn't right.
He can literally hover though

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Ok so this was posted a while back, but I came across it while looking for ideas in this thread and I was shocked that the feedback was almost unanimously positive because I think this is the PERFECT example of a BAD redesign, in that it has little to do with the talent of the artist and everything to do with completely missing the point of the character:

So this is supposed to be Titanosaurus.
Its amazing art. It really is, and its a fantastic design for something Id come across in The Isle.
But nothing about this says Titanosaurus. Its got all the hallmarks of a bad deviantart redesign as there is nothing KAIJU about it. It just looks like a dinosaur. And because its Titano, obviously that means Spinosaurus. Im getting a little sick of seeing Titanosaurus turned into Spinosaurus because really they are only superficially similar. Theres a lot more interesting things you can do with Titano than turning him into a dinosaur. Yet for some reason, there is very little pushback against these types of redesigns. Meanwhile turn Godzilla into a dinosaur and the whole of TK will appear from the woodwork to smite you. Its weird how that is, that Godzilla's design is treated with more strictness. Its something Ive talked about before, how you have a lot more freedom with changing the designs of secondary characters. Never understood why.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:12 pm Ok so this was posted a while back, but I came across it while looking for ideas in this thread and I was shocked that the feedback was almost unanimously positive because I think this is the PERFECT example of a BAD redesign, in that it has little to do with the talent of the artist and everything to do with completely missing the point of the character:

So this is supposed to be Titanosaurus.
Its amazing art. It really is, and its a fantastic design for something Id come across in The Isle.
But nothing about this says Titanosaurus. Its got all the hallmarks of a bad deviantart redesign as there is nothing KAIJU about it. It just looks like a dinosaur. And because its Titano, obviously that means Spinosaurus. Im getting a little sick of seeing Titanosaurus turned into Spinosaurus because really they are only superficially similar. Theres a lot more interesting things you can do with Titano than turning him into a dinosaur. Yet for some reason, there is very little pushback against these types of redesigns. Meanwhile turn Godzilla into a dinosaur and the whole of TK will appear from the woodwork to smite you. Its weird how that is, that Godzilla's design is treated with more strictness. Its something Ive talked about before, how you have a lot more freedom with changing the designs of secondary characters. Never understood why.
I mean, Titanosaurus is canonically a dinosaur, not a kaiju like Godzilla and the others. Which is where I think that mindset when redesigning him stems from.
Last edited by ArtMaker on Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla is also canonically a dinosaur. But their designs don't reflect that, because they are based on older depictions. Modern dinosaurs as kaiju almost never look good.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:03 pm Godzilla is also canonically a dinosaur. But their designs don't reflect that, because they are based on older depictions. Modern dinosaurs as kaiju almost never look good.
Yes, but he’s an irradiated dinosaur (a heavily mutated one in heisei era’s lore, but I digress). I’m just saying Titanosaurus is the only one of the bunch not referred/classified as a kaiju.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Isn’t the original explanation for Anguirus that he’s just an ankylosaurus?
He Jock it Made of Steel

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:11 am Isn’t the original explanation for Anguirus that he’s just an ankylosaurus?
And wasn’t Rodan just a species of pteranadon until the American version introduced the idea of radiation? The radiation explanation never made any sense regardless. Underground is supposed to be where you go to get away from radiation.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesigns

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 am
tbeasley wrote:^^ Fun fact - Snow Godzilla's model from the Shinkalion film is based on that G vs. G/Gemstone design.
Yep. I hope his Gigan can be included in the Toho films, too.
Was looking back and found this comment about the Gemstone fan film. Looks like you called it lmao

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JNewbold54 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:41 am Ultraman Redesign from Tumblr (Description text included):

File #1. The Ultraman (Extraterrestrial Sapient)
The Ultraman. Humanity’s first contact with an extraterrestrial in the year 1966. From what we can gather the creatures true body is the glowing orb within the creatures chest, the “body” that encases it is an biologically engineered chassis used purely for combat. The creature consistently only appears for three minutes, the reason why is currently unknown.

(The Ultraman is the universes White Blood Cell, being called upon to extinguish the infecting bacteria and viruses. -Shin Hayata)

File #1-B. The β Capsule (Unknown Extraterrestrial Device)
An artifact found on the SSSP agent Shin Hayata. The object is bursting with an unknown atomic particle. The mystery of the object is going under further investigation.

Link: https://www.tumblr.com/operation-ultra/ ... ial-sapien
Anyone remember this? Well, it's been updated with some of Ultraman's earlier opponents and they're all pretty well-done. I'll have to say Bemular's my favorite, although I like em all.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:02 pm
JNewbold54 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:41 am Ultraman Redesign from Tumblr (Description text included):

File #1. The Ultraman (Extraterrestrial Sapient)
The Ultraman. Humanity’s first contact with an extraterrestrial in the year 1966. From what we can gather the creatures true body is the glowing orb within the creatures chest, the “body” that encases it is an biologically engineered chassis used purely for combat. The creature consistently only appears for three minutes, the reason why is currently unknown.

(The Ultraman is the universes White Blood Cell, being called upon to extinguish the infecting bacteria and viruses. -Shin Hayata)

File #1-B. The β Capsule (Unknown Extraterrestrial Device)
An artifact found on the SSSP agent Shin Hayata. The object is bursting with an unknown atomic particle. The mystery of the object is going under further investigation.

Link: https://www.tumblr.com/operation-ultra/ ... ial-sapien
Anyone remember this? Well, it's been updated with some of Ultraman's earlier opponents and they're all pretty well-done. I'll have to say Bemular's my favorite, although I like em all.
These are probably my favourite Ultraman redesigns.

In other news, Gugenheim's done a MechaGodzilla redesign:

https://www.deviantart.com/gugenheim98/ ... -937522832

Nothing super innovative, but a solid redesign nonetheless.

GodzillaFan_13
Yojimbo

Post by GodzillaFan_13 »

huh, i've only seen bemular, but man i love that Neuronga. also absolutely loving the Flatwoods vibes off Baltan.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »