What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by Voyager »

Star Wars: Dark Disciple.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

While on my vacation in GA, I read Morbius the Living Vampire Omnibus. A very interesting book and a good preparation for the upcoming film Morbius (which I just saw the preview for last night, and it looks great!).

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Latest additions to my list:

John Lemay's 'The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films: Mutated Edition'- After reading through the full synopsis of 'Bride of Godzilla?', I can definitely say it was best that that particular film idea was scrapped; it would've been going off the rails even by the later showa series' standards. Some of the other ideas were pretty interesting though.

'Fangoria' issue# 234 (the one I got for Christmas)- Being the 25th anniversary issue, it's one that highlights the best horror films (according to the magazine anyway) from 1979 to 2003. In the case of the 'The Thing', 'A Nightmare on Elm Street', and 'Hellraiser' highlights, they were written by John Landis, Doug Bradley, and Robert Englund respectively.

Current issue of 'Prehistoric Times'- One of the highlighted prehistoric animals (there's always been two in each issue) is Neovenator.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

CLAW by Katie Berry.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Lord of the Rings. I've owned it since about 2001, but haven't actually read it yet. I made two halfhearted stabs at it as a kid, but never made it through Fellowship . I just wasn't much of a fantasy fan back then, or big on world building, so the extensive hobbit lore established at the beginning really bogged everything down for me. I have reversed on both of those opinions now, though, so I'm actually enjoying it this time around.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I just finished Neuromancer which was fantastic. I was going to pick up Snow Crash next, having been in quite the cyberpunk mood, but uh... I'm actually in the middle of Warhol/Chris-Chan which I feel compelled to finish. It's fascinating for a number of reasons, not the least of which is learning about Andy Warhol himself, who I knew as "le soup can man". Dan Lashomb makes some very interesting parallels between the two and American consumerism that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started 'Batman Arkham: Killer Croc' on Monday. I'm surprised/disappointed that the 1983 arc written by Gerry Conway doesn't include the conclusion.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started volume 1 of IDW's 'Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' (the Late 80s series) last night.
Last edited by Leviarex on Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

PRIMITIVE WAR I:Opiate Undertow by Ethan Pettus.
PRIMITIVE WAR II:Animus Infernal by Ethan Pettus.
SCARED TO DEATH !:The Novelization by Matt Serafini and Wiliam Malone.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Still slowly plunking away at LOTR. Getting out of the Shire was a sluggish task, but things are picking up now that the hobbits are on their way. I have to say, the Old Forest is possibly my favorite dark magical forest I've come across so far. The Forbidden and Everfree Forests were mostly only dangerous because they were full of monsters, and the one from The Wizard of Oz had trees that were openly moving around and grabbing people. The Old Forest being just oppressive and sinister, blocking paths and steering people where it wants them to go, is much more creative.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started this last night:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Thunderbirds: Peril in Peru, which is actually a reprint of the 60s novel Calling Thunderbirds.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started Steve Brusatte's 'The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs' last night.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Leviarex wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:27 pm Started Steve Brusatte's 'The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs' last night.
That's a good one. It's a very solid introduction to dinosaurs and paleontology, and effectively weaves all the information together into a story to keep from getting dry. We need more books like it.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Just finished Dostoyevsky’s the Idiot, easily one of the most challenging books I’ve read (although a five month sabbatical didn’t help). While it’s a little more focused on the social drama than the types of books I usually gravitate towards, the excellent and insane philosophical monologues are still in full force, and the ending is brilliantly haunting.
He Jock it Made of Steel

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Leviarex wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:16 pm Started 'Batman Arkham: Killer Croc' on Monday. I'm surprised/disappointed that the 1983 arc written by Gerry Conway doesn't include the conclusion.
I know, I have it too.

There's a few other comic story line collections that are missing important parts of their story lines in them:
*Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volumes 1-4 are missing the parts of the story that were already published previously in DC Comics Classic Library Volume 1 - Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore,
*Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors is missing Justice League of America #128-129 and Wonder Woman #223,
*Batman: Strange Apparitions is missing Detective Comics #477,
*The Howard the Duck Omnibus is missing Howard the Duck magazine #1-9 (complete and unaltered (i.e., no removal of any brief nudity (as in the end of issue #1))),
*The Man-Thing Omnibus is missing Marvel Two-in-One #1, Daredevil #113-114, Iron Man Annual #3, Giant-Size Spider-Man #5, Marvel Premiere #28, and Howard the Duck #22-23 (two more Man-Thing stories, Master of Kung Fu #19 and The Micronauts #7, couldn't be included in this book due to loss of copyright reasons, but maybe someday...),
*The Monster of Frankenstein is missing Invaders #31, Iron Man #101-102 and Spider-Man Unlimited #21.

And that's just what I can think of at the moment.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Finished "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow" by Banana Yoshimoto:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_(novel)

Both were fantastic, but Kitchen had more time to develop it's characters and plot. I highly recommend both to anyone here that likes contemporaryish Japanese literature.

Next I'm moving on to the "Three Body Problem" by Liu Cixin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three ... em_(novel)

I've never really delved into Chinese Literature, and I understand there's a lot of political baggage involved. Still, I'm somewhat curious and I want to expand my scope of what I've read. This seemed like a good place to begin.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:05 pm
Leviarex wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:16 pm Started 'Batman Arkham: Killer Croc' on Monday. I'm surprised/disappointed that the 1983 arc written by Gerry Conway doesn't include the conclusion.
I know, I have it too.

There's a few other comic story line collections that are missing important parts of their story lines in them:
*Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volumes 1-4 are missing the parts of the story that were already published previously in DC Comics Classic Library Volume 1 - Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore,
*Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors is missing Justice League of America #128-129 and Wonder Woman #223,
*Batman: Strange Apparitions is missing Detective Comics #477,
*The Howard the Duck Omnibus is missing Howard the Duck magazine #1-9 (complete and unaltered (i.e., no removal of any brief nudity (as in the end of issue #1))),
*The Man-Thing Omnibus is missing Marvel Two-in-One #1, Daredevil #113-114, Iron Man Annual #3, Giant-Size Spider-Man #5, Marvel Premiere #28, and Howard the Duck #22-23 (two more Man-Thing stories, Master of Kung Fu #19 and The Micronauts #7, couldn't be included in this book due to loss of copyright reasons, but maybe someday...),
*The Monster of Frankenstein is missing Invaders #31, Iron Man #101-102 and Spider-Man Unlimited #21.

And that's just what I can think of at the moment.
I just found another one:

*The Son of Satan Classic is missing Giant-Size Defenders #2, Defenders #24-25 and 62-63, and Ghost Rider (vol. 2) #17-19.

And I finally found out what the missing issues of Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volumes 1-4 are: Superman #240-242.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 28, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm still puttering along with LOTR, but I've also started Encounter in Rendlesham Forest, by Nick Pope, about the 1980 UFO sightings around the USAF's Bentwater and Woodbridge Airbases in the UK. It's good so far, clearly explaining the events in adequate but not excessive detail, and isn't trying to push any particular theory.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat May 28, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Finished Three Body Problem. Absolutely loved it. Reminded me of when I read all of PKD's bibliography in HS. I'm tempted to move on to the sequel, but due to some life changing events I may want to wait a few weeks.

In the meantime, I'm reading some short stories for a literary publication that may soon include my work. Can't reveal much, but it's interesting. Mostly good shit I've been reading.

I may also start reading some stories out of CivilWarLand In Bad Decline by George Saunders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CivilWarL ... ad_Decline
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.