Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by LegendZilla »

Minya is like the Jar Jar of Godzilla.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Oooookay. Why?

Is Minya an offensive caricature that speaks in Full House catchphrases?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:21 pm Oooookay. Why?

Is Minya an offensive caricature that speaks in Full House catchphrases?
In that he's such a reviled character who's there to pander to small children.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In AMA perhaps, but Minya is good in this one. The cute moments provide some levity, but the young kaiju proves his courage in the climactic fight.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:48 pm Minya is like the Jar Jar of Godzilla.
That is... actually kinda true for the Western Godzilla fandom. Regardless of one's personal opinions on the character or this movie (I for one love this film!), Minya's almost as popular a punching bag as GINO, among the wider Western fandom. I'd say that he's certainly comparable to Jar Jar in that regard.

Now, whether Minya (or Jar Jar for that matter) deserves such hatred from his fandom is another argument entirely.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:50 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:48 pm Minya is like the Jar Jar of Godzilla.
That is... actually kinda true for the Western Godzilla fandom. Regardless of one's personal opinions on the character or this movie (I for one love this film!), Minya's almost as popular a punching bag as GINO, among the wider Western fandom. I'd say that he's certainly comparable to Jar Jar in that regard.

Now, whether Minya (or Jar Jar for that matter) deserves such hatred from his fandom is another argument entirely.
Which is interesting since Jar Jar was actually intended to have a compelling character arc of how even the most innocent and well intended person can become corrupted by politics throughout the prequels.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In view of that, Baby Godzilla would seem more in common with Jar Jar. Minya is little developed as a character, but Baby Godzilla goes from chibi material to a fighter.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:39 pm In view of that, Baby Godzilla would seem more in common with Jar Jar. Minya is little developed as a character, but Baby Godzilla goes from chibi material to a fighter.
But can physical growth even be considered "character". Baby is also radically different every time it appears and feels like a different monster each time. Minya however has a very definitive character in Son of Godzilla and Godzilla's Revenge. Like most monsters in the Heisei series, Baby/Little/Junior doesn't have much of a personality. Minya is playful, he gets scared, he tries to be brave,, he even talks in one film.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I like both Jar Jar and Minya.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:39 pm Minya is little developed as a character
I... cannot agree. Speaking as someone who was always aboard the Junior hype train growing up, having rewatched SoG somewhat recently, the ugly little squealing gremlin actually won me over, not only by how incredibly charming and heartbreakingly pathetic he could be at times, but also by his boundless determination to be like his dad. He actually comes in for the save during the Kumonga battle, and becomes capable of consistently using his atomic ray. I still enjoy poking fun at that face only a mother could love, but I can't deny it comes from a place of endearment and even a bit of respect.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If you're watching Son of Godzilla and you don't suddenly get scared for the little guy when Kumonga pops up and attacks him, you have no heart.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Son Of Godzilla's one of the best of the Showa films, and I judge people's ability's to make coherent and thoughtful film critiques based on how they evaluate it.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

StardustGenius wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:30 pm Son Of Godzilla's one of the best of the Showa films, and I judge people's ability's to make coherent and thoughtful film critiques based on how they evaluate it.
Where's that goddamn LIKE button at?

Son of Godzilla is Fukuda's best Godzilla movie, hands down, and it's arguably one of the best movies in the whole series. Sato's score is among the series' most impressive and that's saying a lot with so many amazing scores to choose from. The island setting is well-realized, to the point that Solgell feels like a character in the film. Speaking of characters, the cast is very likable, with Goro Maki ranking among my favorite Godzilla protagonists. The action scenes with the kaiju are well choreographed and never overstay their welcome. There's genuine humor, there's genuine heart and, shockingly, there's genuine chills; Kumonga is fucking scary.

SoG is easily a 4/5 Godzilla movie and there's a very short list of Godzilla films I'd definitively rank above it.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

StardustGenius wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:30 pm Son Of Godzilla's one of the best of the Showa films, and I judge people's ability's to make coherent and thoughtful film critiques based on how they evaluate it.
This should be the method they use in film school.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:16 pm Where's that goddamn LIKE button at?

Son of Godzilla is Fukuda's best Godzilla movie, hands down, and it's arguably one of the best movies in the whole series. Sato's score is among the series' most impressive and that's saying a lot with so many amazing scores to choose from. The island setting is well-realized, to the point that Sollgel feels like a character in the film. Speaking of characters, the cast is very likable, with Goro Maki ranking among my favorite Godzilla protagonists. The action scenes with the kaiju are well choreographed and never overstay their welcome. There's genuine humor, there's genuine heart and, shockingly, there's genuine chills; Kumonga is fucking scary.

SoG is easily a 4/5 Godzilla movie and there's a very short list of Godzilla films I'd definitively rank above it.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SOG is an excellent movie. It has a talented cast, and the music score has a nice variety. The visual of Godzilla and Minya fighting Kumonga in a snowstorm is a different and well-done scene.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:17 pm
This should be the method they use in film school.
Even if someone dislikes the movie, and their critique is more in depth than "MINYA AND GODZILLA SUITS ARE UGLY, AND ITS FOR KIDS, AND IT RUINED THE REPUTATION, AND ITS BORING" and gives something substantive I would still think their critique is a thoughtful and coherent one.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Still a great movie with a cast of Toho´s allstars. A well deserved Rank 4 in TOHO Kingdom´s all time favorite kaiju movies. https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=20
Even the soundtrack was great and fit with the pictures very well. I love this moive.

Kumonga walked and was not jumping around like an idiot (like in 2004).
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Speaking of huge arachnids, certain scenes with Kumonga remind me of the film Tarantula. The best example would be when Kumonga reaches into the cave, and we see the giant claw (not the bird) trying to grab the scientists. In the 50s film, the spider uses its clawed leg to push Deemer into its mouth.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

“Achtually, son of Godzilla is one of the best Godzilla movies, it’s just too deep for most people to understand”

Meanwhile, the director of the movie:

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?