Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Who else is picking Fuecoco? Skeledirge is going to be lit.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:57 pm Who else is picking Fuecoco? Skeledirge is going to be lit.
Fuecoco is peak, his evolution set reminds me of Johto pokemon honestly which i dig a lot. The other two are just as weak as they have been for the past 3 gens. I don't get their obsession with bipedal final evos.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:05 pm I don't get their obsession with bipedal final evos.
Neither do I, Sprigatito should've evolved into a cool mountain lion covered in flora instead of, well...

Persona-inspired furry bait
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:12 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:05 pm I don't get their obsession with bipedal final evos.
Neither do I, Sprigatito should've evolved into a cool mountain lion covered in flora instead of, well...

Persona-inspired furry bait
My girlfriend hoped for the same! She was so disappointed as a cat person to see the adorable initial two evos result in a glorified jester furry

We were hyped to see something like these, but Pokemon seems to be dissuaded from detailed designs if they aren't legendaries or aliens these days.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

^ the second one is my favorite, pretty close to what I was picturing. If it had looked like that and been Grass/Fairy, it would've given Skeledirge some competition.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:21 pm My girlfriend hoped for the same! She was so disappointed as a cat person to see the adorable initial two evos result in a glorified jester furry

We were hyped to see something like these, but Pokemon seems to be dissuaded from detailed designs if they aren't legendaries or aliens these days.
Absolutely never hype yourself for modern starter final evos :lol: The devs are more interested in making final evos that buck the trend compared to their pre-evolutions, which is what ends up disappointing most speculating fans despite the promising first 2 stages.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GigaBowserG wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:43 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:21 pm My girlfriend hoped for the same! She was so disappointed as a cat person to see the adorable initial two evos result in a glorified jester furry

Absolutely never hype yourself for modern starter final evos :lol: The devs are more interested in making final evos that buck the trend compared to their pre-evolutions, which is what ends up disappointing most speculating fans despite the promising first 2 stages.
:lol: See I'm 22 but I began with Fire Red/Leaf green, so It's hard not being critical because we really haven't seen a solid set of starters since Gen 4. It's like their goal usually isn't to go with the most logical/ coolest any more, now it's about making the silliest final evo possible. But that just makes me toss my starter into the pc as soon as I have a proper team.

With that being said though, as a fire starter main this gen is looking really solid for me :JetJaguar:

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

ngl, I prefer the phantom thief design for Mewoscarada. A lot more character there than just being a bigger animal.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:07 pm ngl, I prefer the phantom thief design for Mewoscarada. A lot more character there than just being a bigger animal.
yeah see I just can't see that, the 3 above ooze character and final evo confidence, then there's this-

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:55 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:07 pm ngl, I prefer the phantom thief design for Mewoscarada. A lot more character there than just being a bigger animal.
yeah see I just can't see that, the 3 above ooze character and final evo confidence, then there's this-
To me, I see a bunch of larger animals with nothing going on underneath their eyes. I think a Larger Animal is the least creative route. Skeledirge is a Larger Animal, but it has Dia De Los Muertos motifs on its design bringing out loads of personality. I like seeing the arrogant look of a phantom theif. Last cat we got turned into friggin Tiger Mask. I love that.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

What are my fellow Pokémon Trainers' thoughts on the new games? They're definitely not perfect but I'm enjoying Scarlet a lot. It takes the best part of PLA (open world exploration) and adds in all the features that PLA was sorely missing (held items, abilities, multiplayer and trainer battles/gyms in the game). I love how fluid I'm training up a rotating team of 12 - Skeledirge, Pawmot, Arboliva, Azumarill, Lucario, Gallade, Haxorus, Mimikyu, Clodsire, Farigiraf, Garganacl and Dachsbun.

I haven't been experiencing nearly as many bugs as some people have been complaining about; just the occasional lag when a bunch is happening on the screen.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:31 am What are my fellow Pokémon Trainers' thoughts on the new games? They're definitely not perfect but I'm enjoying Scarlet a lot. It takes the best part of PLA (open world exploration) and adds in all the features that PLA was sorely missing (held items, abilities, multiplayer and trainer battles/gyms in the game). I love how fluid I'm training up a rotating team of 12 - Skeledirge, Pawmot, Arboliva, Azumarill, Lucario, Gallade, Haxorus, Mimikyu, Clodsire, Farigiraf, Garganacl and Dachsbun.

I haven't been experiencing nearly as many bugs as some people have been complaining about; just the occasional lag when a bunch is happening on the screen.
I’m having a lot of fun with these, on a level rivaling that of Legends Arceus. Even my friend, who didn’t want to touch Legends due to mechanical changes, is enjoying this one immensely. The new designs have been largely great and fresh and I’m excited about a lot of the new abilities and moves. Even some of the characters have been fun and memorable, like Larry the Normal Gym Leader.

The big issues are with performance— frame drops, chugging, t-poses/animation glitches, and every once in a while the game will kick me back to the switch home menu. A patch would help a lot of those issues so we’ll see what happens. Even with those, I’ve had a blast playing SV, it’s full of good changes for the core series moving forward.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:30 pm I’m having a lot of fun with these, on a level rivaling that of Legends Arceus. Even my friend, who didn’t want to touch Legends due to mechanical changes, is enjoying this one immensely. The new designs have been largely great and fresh and I’m excited about a lot of the new abilities and moves. Even some of the characters have been fun and memorable, like Larry the Normal Gym Leader.

The big issues are with performance— frame drops, chugging, t-poses/animation glitches, and every once in a while the game will kick me back to the switch home menu. A patch would help a lot of those issues so we’ll see what happens. Even with those, I’ve had a blast playing SV, it’s full of good changes for the core series moving forward.
I also enjoyed Larry a lot, best new character so far. New mons, abilities, moves and items are great. I love how much more fluid battling is and auto battling is an awesome feature.

Damn, I must've gotten the magic copy or something; worst bug I've experienced so far is my Lucario getting stuck waist-deep in the snow when I sent him out. Almost nothing otherwise. But I've heard a lot of people having problems similar to what you've been experiencing.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:31 am What are my fellow Pokémon Trainers' thoughts on the new games? They're definitely not perfect but I'm enjoying Scarlet a lot. It takes the best part of PLA (open world exploration) and adds in all the features that PLA was sorely missing (held items, abilities, multiplayer and trainer battles/gyms in the game). I love how fluid I'm training up a rotating team of 12 - Skeledirge, Pawmot, Arboliva, Azumarill, Lucario, Gallade, Haxorus, Mimikyu, Clodsire, Farigiraf, Garganacl and Dachsbun.

I’m actually having a lot of fun with Scarlet right now, my main issue is a really rough frame rate and a lack of direction due to the sheer amount of stuff they throw at you once you leave the school. It leaves me with a sense of either being under leveled or over leveled depending on the area, plus the story just feels like side-quests as opposed to a destiny right now. The world also feels pretty bland honestly, like the atmosphere just isn't there. (Compare Glimwood Tangle from Sw/Sh to the new map)

But besides that I’m such a big fan of the Pokémon distribution, large packs of them as there should be, the evolved being the leaders of said pack, the new Pokémon for the most part are great (those mouse Pokémon have no business looking like alpha models and being completely normal type though, talk about milktoast). The badge bosses so far are great, if a little weak, and the Team Starr theme music is the best villain music we’ve seen in a long while.

Right now I’m running a mean main team of Larvitar, Frigibax, Gabite, Luxray, Gyrados and Lucario. I’ve got Clogsire (absolutely need him in all future games), and Arcanine in the PC until the others can catch up their levels. But you’re right, I’ve been rotating like three teams of Pokémon due to the scale of the world we’re seeing. Plus now that my gf has me addicted to figuring out Natures and IVs, I find myself constantly catching repeat Pokémon in order to get better stats, IVs and natures lol

Plus I'm seeing so many people have such easy luck with shinies, yet I haven't found a single one yet -_-
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:49 am Plus I'm seeing so many people have such easy luck with shinies, yet I haven't found a single one yet -_-
I just caught a shiny Heracross! :Megalon: :D

I agree that one of the big issues with the game is level scaling. For awhile, I was breezing through everything and felt overleveled; then suddenly, all the wild/trainer Pokémon jumped from high 20s/low 30s to high 40s/low 50s and I've been struggling to catch up. I wish the gyms and other big events would have scaled to your level. I had to grind a whole team up to Lv50 to beat the final Team Star boss, which was annoying.

Figuring out EVs/IVs and Natures is key to being good at Pokémon. I got the hang of it in Gen 6 and I've been playing competitive online pretty well ever since. If you haven't done much online, I suggest getting into it, it can be a lot of fun.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Honestly? These games have the ground work for an MMORPG if Gamefreak ever decide to try that route one day.

Currently trying to hunt down Paldea Tauros (Blaze Breed). Anyone had any luck with this one? Been looking up guides and so far there's been conflicting info. If it's truly down to luck then ooh fun...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Caught a Shiny Noibat :shock:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague, and I just finished up what I assume is the end of the main story, and started some of the post game. Without revealing too much:

-Great new Pokemon designs and general ideas
-Some interesting tweaks and changes to the formula to accommodate the open world aspect, some that work, some that don't
-Interesting choices of where to put key content (most of the standard quirky Pokemon dialogue and antics is relegated to the school classes+the back half of the main adventure.
-Serious janky problems

I have a lot of issues with it, but like all the Pokemon games, for the most part it's delivered and I've had fun.

Added in 1 minute 53 seconds:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:49 pm

I agree that one of the big issues with the game is level scaling. For awhile, I was breezing through everything and felt overleveled; then suddenly, all the wild/trainer Pokémon jumped from high 20s/low 30s to high 40s/low 50s and I've been struggling to catch up. I wish the gyms and other big events would have scaled to your level. I had to grind a whole team up to Lv50 to beat the final Team Star boss, which was annoying.

Yeah some of the choices on scaling have been difficult. It gets easy and uniform once the game begins to wrap up, but it's my main complaint. As much as I like the system to reward battling with new TMS+Money, it feels a bit weird to find a trainer I didn't fight and want to fight them for competition.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Third act and Post-League story changed my perspective on the game entirely, from a pretty generic simulator to a genuine experience with tons of emotion in there. Definitely the new favorite of modern Pokémon. I haven’t been much of a fan since Diamond and Pearl. Pokémon Sword was decent but the climax fizzled the experience.

This game made me feel like I was watching the anime again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:39 pm Third act and Post-League story changed my perspective on the game entirely, from a pretty generic simulator to a genuine experience with tons of emotion in there. Definitely the new favorite of modern Pokémon. I haven’t been much of a fan since Diamond and Pearl. Pokémon Sword was decent but the climax fizzled the experience.

This game made me feel like I was watching the anime again.
That’s exactly how I felt. I’m doing to postgame to now.

Did you do any of the school at all?

Also Jnavs, this won’t be a spoiler for you, but the evolution of
Spoiler:
the dolphin is cool.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.