Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah, the DP remakes look crappy. Granted, it’s evident that they are supposed to be “faithful” remakes. It won’t be like FR/LG, HGSS, or ORAS where it was a remake with enhanced stories and features. I reckon ORAS actually looks better in some areas. I’m not going to hate on it, but I’m not going to pretend it doesn’t look so great. I think also because it’s uninspired there might be reasons to say the originals might be better. There’s a charm to the sprites. A large part of whether this will be good or not is it’s connectivity to the other games.

Meanwhile, Pokémon Legends is really exciting. Feels like the first thing in a while I have no idea what they’ll do. People are criticizing the games graphics already (the framedrop is no excuse) but it seems like there’s still a year of development time left. We shall see!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Not a fan at all of those starters, minus Cyndaquil.

It would've been cool if, since it's called "Pokemon Legends", the starters were like, pre-legendaries. Over the course of the game they just gain an exponential amount of power and by the end they become true "Legendaries". The reason they're not in the Sinnoh Pokédex could be a respect thing, since, if they're in the pokedex they'll always be at risk of getting captured.

Or, just any other starters that weren't picked strictly for being "cuddly and cute".

Game wise though it looks cool and original.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

It's astonishing to me that the remakes look worse than the previous game and even the previous generation. This regression is a real killer of excitement.

Curious about what Legends will bring to the table to make the open world interesting. I hope it's not just stalking around catching and battling because the Wild Area showed me just how old that gets. And hopefully there's no super duper rare only during weather catches considering the goal is to make a PokéDex. Those are huge pains in the ass.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:57 pm Or, just any other starters that weren't picked strictly for being "cuddly and cute".
I think they were trying to pick starters whose final forms fit the setting, so you have an archer, a samurai and... a badger? Okay I'm not sure how Typhlosion is supposed to fit into this lol
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The DP remakes look so... poor. I loved D/P/P and it kinda hurts to see them done this way. May god protect Black and White when their remakes eventually come out
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:57 pm Or, just any other starters that weren't picked strictly for being "cuddly and cute".
I think they were trying to pick starters whose final forms fit the setting, so you have an archer, a samurai and... a badger? Okay I'm not sure how Typhlosion is supposed to fit into this lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_badger
I'm assuming it's because Typhlosion, may be based on the Japanese Badger. It's explicitly not native to Hokkaido, the region Sinnoh is based on. The trailer mentions that.
They picked starters that are justifiably Japanese, but also could be there for lore reasons. Perhaps it'll be more clear. We could easily still get a truth bomb like "sinnonian" forms in Legends.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:29 pm
Smuggers wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 am I think they were trying to pick starters whose final forms fit the setting, so you have an archer, a samurai and... a badger? Okay I'm not sure how Typhlosion is supposed to fit into this lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_badger
I'm assuming it's because Typhlosion, may be based on the Japanese Badger. It's explicitly not native to Hokkaido, the region Sinnoh is based on. The trailer mentions that.
They picked starters that are justifiably Japanese, but also could be there for lore reasons. Perhaps it'll be more clear. We could easily still get a truth bomb like "sinnonian" forms in Legends.
Ah, that makes sense. It turning into a volcano certainly doesn't hurt either. Sinnohnian forms are something I was hoping they'd do if they remade remade these games, especially Pokemon that would need a little work to fit into an older setting (Voltorb looking like an old Pokeball?)
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think Infernape or Blaziken would've fit that role better, as both are fiery spirited martial artists, which was/is huge in Japan. They could've represented both gunpowder,and fiery spirits.

As much as I'm a stickler for the classic starters, I may go with Samurott since samurai are awesome.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Am I the only one who’s hyped for both BDSP and Legends Arceus? They both look pretty damn cool, especially Legends Arceus. An open world Pokemon game set in feudal age Sinnoh? Sign me up! Plus, the unique starter selection is pretty cool. Makes me wonder if they’ll get unique “Sinnohan” forms (which i’m reeeaaaaally hoping is the case).
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:11 am Am I the only one who’s hyped for both BDSP and Legends Arceus? They both look pretty damn cool, especially Legends Arceus. An open world Pokemon game set in feudal age Sinnoh? Sign me up! Plus, the unique starter selection is pretty cool. Makes me wonder if they’ll get unique “Sinnohan” forms (which i’m reeeaaaaally hoping is the case).
Cautiously optimistic for BDSP, really excited for Legends Arceus since it’s an era of Pokémon that hasn’t been explored yet.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I am super excited for the D/P remakes this year! I loved the fourth gen. Not too interested in Arceus Legends, however.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Just finished the Pokemon Presents direct and…wow

For the past few months my hype was nonexistent. Barely anything there. Now? Holy shit, I’m super hyped!

My expectations were low and they were exceeded tenfold. Yeah, BDSP looks pretty nice, but the main thing I’m hyped for is Legends Arceus. It goes without saying why.

Side note, Basculegion is badass!
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

After giving Pokémon Legends Arceus a good few days and playing well into the postgame, I can definitely say that PLA has been the most fun I’ve had with a Pokémon game ever, and is my second favorite game in the entire franchise.

Despite the graphical issues of the game, the gameplay is so fresh, fun, and unique. The battling system has changed quite a bit, making it a bit more fun, but the really big change comes with the catching. Catching Pokémon in this game is honestly addicting. There’s a lot of intricacies with it in this game that make it infinitely better than it used to be.

I highly recommend anyone curious enough about the game to try it out for themselves.

On a side note, I’ve bought Brilliant Diamond but haven’t given it a go yet. Will probably play it for a Nuzlocke challenge down the line or something.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Generation 9 is officially revealed and slated for later in 2022. The starters are revealed and look pretty good.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Didn't we just get an apple dinosaur last gen? Cat is somewhat uninspired, and the duck is... a duck with a perm.

I need to see their evolved states honestly. The creativity for poke designs from Gamefreak just hasn't been there for a while now for me.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:51 am Didn't we just get an apple dinosaur last gen?
It's not an apple, it's a chili pepper.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:46 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:51 am Didn't we just get an apple dinosaur last gen?
And it's not a dinosaur; it's a crocodile
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

For Fuecoco, I really hope they go the same route the Totodile line did. I was quite disappointed by how the Sobble line turned out because they just looked bad IMO.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:26 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:46 pm
And it's not a dinosaur; it's a crocodile
And Applin and its line weren't dinosaurs, they were dragons.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Splitting hairs