Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:23 pm Honestly the new egg mechanics have been nice. I’ll sink my teeth into the more later on, but it wasn’t hard for me to get the hang of it when I tested it.
Also: one of the coolest new features is transferring egg moves between Pokémon just by having them in the picnic together and keeping a move slot available. That’s how I got belly drum on my Cetitan without needing to breed another. Very helpful if you need to save some time/would rather use a Pokémon you already bonded with.
Same. It took some time but once I bred a Slakoth and made it Lv 11, I paired it with my Crocalor to breed a Fuecoco with Slack Off. Really nice and quick this time around.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:41 pm I was confused and thought the egg stuff was tedious, but it's literally just "put down your switch for a bit and check every 5 or so minutes". What I like too is that you can get a multiple amount of eggs at once. It's great and really quick when you're doing other things.

Exactly. It beats running around just to get one at a time when getting 10+ now. Much less monotonous.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The biggest shock of Gen 9 comp is how much of a fucking threat Murkrow is. Between Super Luck crit spam and Tailwind, this stupid bird is an absolute nightmare in doubles.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/QPJ-Tk0f3bc[/YouTube]

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who thought this when they battled the Treasures Of Ruin?

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

So,
Spoiler:
Geeta. I like her character but her Champion battle is lackluster. Only one Pokémon of hers gave me trouble. The elite four put up a better bout.

For fun, I had a go at revamping her team, with the idea of having harder hitting Pokémon with Maxed out IV's, EV's and semi meta move sets. ( I love Gogoat, but noo :P)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fkv_kDrXkAM ... ame=medium

Considering the game teaches you more about game mechanics in depth compared to past games, this champion battle had the potential of giving a culmination of everything you learnt with a challenging Champion with these factors in mind.

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

Where are the recommendations for FireRed/GreenLeaf and SoulSilver/HeartGold? In my opinion, those are the best Pokemon games. They come highly recommended by me. Especially SoulSilver/HeartGold, they simply have the best overall Pokemon experience, and I consider them to be the best remakes - faithful enough to the originals while feeling newer.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

BumbleBee wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:17 am Where are the recommendations for FireRed/GreenLeaf and SoulSilver/HeartGold? In my opinion, those are the best Pokemon games. They come highly recommended by me. Especially SoulSilver/HeartGold, they simply have the best overall Pokemon experience, and I consider them to be the best remakes - faithful enough to the originals while feeling newer.
I agree on HGSS, those are still my favorite Pokémon games, followed by BW2. HGSS are easily the best remakes in the franchise, all subsequent remakes have felt half-assed, with BDSP marking a new low-point for the series. I loved FRLG as a kid but looking back, those games had a lot of dated mechanics that I think would hinder my enjoyment today.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:48 am
BumbleBee wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:17 am Where are the recommendations for FireRed/GreenLeaf and SoulSilver/HeartGold? In my opinion, those are the best Pokemon games. They come highly recommended by me. Especially SoulSilver/HeartGold, they simply have the best overall Pokemon experience, and I consider them to be the best remakes - faithful enough to the originals while feeling newer.
I agree on HGSS, those are still my favorite Pokémon games, followed by BW2. HGSS are easily the best remakes in the franchise, all subsequent remakes have felt half-assed, with BDSP marking a new low-point for the series. I loved FRLG as a kid but looking back, those games had a lot of dated mechanics that I think would hinder my enjoyment today.
I wouldn’t say ORAS was half-assed. The only major issues I have with those is the lack of the Pokémon following mechanics and the lack of the Battle Frontier.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

ORAS felt half-assed compared to HGSS and even FRLG. Once the game is beaten, all you have left to do is the Delta Episode (maybe 2 hours of gameplay) and ride around on your Latios/Latias catching Legendaries. Compare that to everything you could do post-game in HGSS. I think the lack of a Battle Frontier was pretty unforgivable.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:58 pm ORAS felt half-assed compared to HGSS and even FRLG. Once the game is beaten, all you have left to do is the Delta Episode (maybe 2 hours of gameplay) and ride around on your Latios/Latias catching Legendaries. Compare that to everything you could do post-game in HGSS. I think the lack of a Battle Frontier was pretty unforgivable.
HGSS is the gold standard of remakes but I would not call ORAS half-assed. The amount of legends you could catch and the battle facility still being decent shouldn’t be counted out. They added a bunch of Megas and the DexNav made hunting for Pokémon easier (esp shinies). In its heyday, the secret bases were also useful for grinding up levels and trying different strategies.

BDSP doesn’t even hold a wisp of a candle compared to that (it didn’t even bother being connected to the rest of its Gen or gimmicks), and it at least rivals FRLG in terms of content, if not exceeding it.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

HGSS is overrated. Beneath all its bells and whistles (genuinely good bells and whistles, mind you) lies the fact that Johto is still the absolute worst region with terrible Pokemon distribution and level curve. It's not a fun time to grind through, especially if you don't have the benefit of ROM speed-up.

Good game, probably the best remake still, but I think "best Pokemon game of all time" is a hard disagree from me.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

The main issue with HGSS is that it doesn't really fix the major problems that GSC had: The level curve is still utter ass, for instance, and while the Kanto gym leaders are buffed up somewhat compared to how laughably easy they were in GSC, they're still a joke. You go into Lance with mons barely scraping lv. 40, against lv. 48-50 Dragonites, and it's just miserable if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Also the sheer amount of hax HGSS throws your way to compensate for the low levels is infuriating.

ORAS's problem is that it's a remake of Ruby Sapphire... and ONLY Ruby/Sapphire, with the Emerald content being relegated to a post-game story and an easter egg of the Battle Frontier layout. It's better balanced than XY before it, but the genuinely good stuff that Emerald brought in and fixed is ignored in favor of R/S team rosters and level up movepools because "we ran out of time finetuning things". BDSP has this issue, magnified tenfold due to GF upper management looming over ILCA's shoulder making sure the main games are a 1 to 1 replica of D/P.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

CyberZilla wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:17 pm HGSS is the gold standard of remakes but I would not call ORAS half-assed. The amount of legends you could catch and the battle facility still being decent shouldn’t be counted out. They added a bunch of Megas and the DexNav made hunting for Pokémon easier (esp shinies). In its heyday, the secret bases were also useful for grinding up levels and trying different strategies.

BDSP doesn’t even hold a wisp of a candle compared to that (it didn’t even bother being connected to the rest of its Gen or gimmicks), and it at least rivals FRLG in terms of content, if not exceeding it.
Same. Platinum is my favourite Pokemon game. I remember fantasising about how amazing an updated, reimagined Sinnoh would be, and now... we're probably never going to get it.

I'm also concerned about potential remakes. BW/BW2 have a lot of potential, but I'm afraid they'll squander it by doing the bare minimum once more.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

After clutching the AI Turo fight with one Pokemon, I will never doubt Amoonguss and his Toxic and Spore moves ever again.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Ok, seriously, is anyone else going to talk about Penny's theme? That was a masterpiece in my opinion, S/V music is really good.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:46 pm Ok, seriously, is anyone else going to talk about Penny's theme? That was a masterpiece in my opinion, S/V music is really good.
to be honest, it is a banger. My favorite was Area Zero's theme, it is absolutely esoteric and I love it.

Resized Image

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:58 pm ORAS felt half-assed compared to HGSS and even FRLG. Once the game is beaten, all you have left to do is the Delta Episode (maybe 2 hours of gameplay) and ride around on your Latios/Latias catching Legendaries. Compare that to everything you could do post-game in HGSS. I think the lack of a Battle Frontier was pretty unforgivable.
it's important to remember that every Pokemon game is different and offers its own unique experiences. While Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire may not have had as much post-game content as some previous games, they still had their own strengths and appeals, such as the ability to ride Latios and Latias and explore the world from a different perspective.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

BumbleBee wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:49 am
it's important to remember that every Pokemon game is different and offers its own unique experiences. While Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire may not have had as much post-game content as some previous games, they still had their own strengths and appeals, such as the ability to ride Latios and Latias and explore the world from a different perspective.
I don't dislike ORAS and it's a masterpiece compared to BDSP, which I think is hands-down the worst mainline Pokémon release. For a remake that took the Gen 3 games and revamped them in the style of Gen 6 with Mega Evolutions, 3D graphics, etc. ORAS did a fine job. But just throwing in the same boring Battle Maison from XY was peak laziness that killed the game's replay value. Compare that and the Delta Episode to all the post-game features available in FRLG, Platinum, HGSS or BW2, and it's a letdown.

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

I don't dislike ORAS and it's a masterpiece compared to BDSP, which I think is hands-down the worst mainline Pokémon release. For a remake that took the Gen 3 games and revamped them in the style of Gen 6 with Mega Evolutions, 3D graphics, etc. ORAS did a fine job. But just throwing in the same boring Battle Maison from XY was peak laziness that killed the game's replay value. Compare that and the Delta Episode to all the post-game features available in FRLG, Platinum, HGSS or BW2, and it's a letdown.
ORAS did a good job in updating the Gen 3 games with new features and 3D graphics. However, it's also valid to feel disappointed in the lack of post-game content, particularly in comparison to previous mainline releases like FRLG, Platinum, HGSS, and BW2.

Post-game content can greatly enhance the replay value of a game, and it's important for developers to prioritize it to keep players engaged. It's also important for developers to listen to feedback from fans and make improvements in future releases. It will be interesting to see how the developers address these issues in future Pokemon releases.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:07 am The biggest shock of Gen 9 comp is how much of a fucking threat Murkrow is. Between Super Luck crit spam and Tailwind, this stupid bird is an absolute nightmare in doubles.
I feel like it only gets attention thanks to Haze for Dondozo. But yeah, it's an excellent supporter. Also popping up on some sun-based teams as a manual setter when Torkoal doesn't fit a matchup.

I loved the new games, by the way, for anyone who cares. I forgot there's even a game section here, and Pokemon is the one game series I'm a maniac about.
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:46 pm Ok, seriously, is anyone else going to talk about Penny's theme? That was a masterpiece in my opinion, S/V music is really good.
The main melody from that one is indeed a banger. Partial to Team Star's guitar-driven theme, though!
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I've recently gotten back into the Scarlet/Violet competitive scene. Anyone else here playing still? I have a lot of teams I'd love to try out in preparation for next season. My best friend and I still battle pretty often but I'd like to test them against someone else. If anyone would be interested in testing their own teams against mine, feel free to DM me.