Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

For the holiday season I fixed Grand King Ghidorah for everyone:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:48 pm For the holiday season I fixed Grand King Ghidorah for everyone:

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:12 pm I'm also disappointed by the Rodan nerf. If Toho ever revives Rodan for a Godzilla movie, I hope he gives Goji a run for his money like he did back in the good old days. When I rewatched Ghidorah, I was astonished by the fact that not only did Rodan hold his own against Godzilla, he actually dominated him for most of the fight. A far cry from glass cannon Heisei Rodan, pathetic ass GFW Rodan, sycophantic MV Rodan and "we canonized one of those awful 'realistic' kaiju drawings" SP Rodan.
I cannot tell you how much I agree with you, good lord! I got so much flack for saying this after KOTM came out. It was such a missed opportunity to not have a Rodan V Goji fight. Making him so damn small also nerfs him. Now he's not only too small to battle Goji in H2H combat, but he also barely looks like a threat. I hate the whole "but it's more realistic" thing. I want me a 300 foot Rodan who's built like a god damned tank! I want to see Mothra actually large enough to not look like she'd fall apart with a single swipe of Goji's tail. The MV really needs to get Marie Annello to write a Rodan graphic novel, just say screw it and make him larger, make him feel like an alpha rather than every other kaiju's subordinate, have him and Goji spar or something, and really just go back to the Showa days where kaiju were able to actually challenge Godzilla. Keep Goji on top but don't make him untouchable!

Also,
"we canonized one of those awful 'realistic' kaiju drawings" SP Rodan
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Lmao you're hilarious! SP Rodan def is a bit off for me as well!
Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:44 am
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:58 am The fact Kong's head was so much bigger than Godzilla's drove me crazy when watching GvsK.
Same honestly. As much as I love the Monsterverse, there have been some inconsistencies with sizing. In KotM, Godzilla's head looked larger proportionally. And also the part where Ghidorah fights Rodan looks wonky as hell because Ghidorah looks so small there
Agreed with both of you! Kong's proportions were really weird, like why is his head big enough to the point where it looks like he could do some serious damage if he bit Godzilla's entire head?? He's also not only drastically large, but he also weighs a FUCK TON. According to one guide, it was confirmed he weighs around 90K tons apparently. His body proportions are weird too. His head has always had this problem but in certain shots it looks much bigger, which is awkward. If he had a smaller head it would bring out the buffness of his body. He also looks a bit chunky for some reason, and the VFX artists confirmed it was because he's been in the dome all that time so he's aging rapidly. So while there's a chance he can get slimmer/leaner/more buff with time in the Hollow Earth like how he looked in Kingdom Kong, it still is kind of weird in GvK.

In KOTM, I think it was pretty cool that he remained somewhat similar to G14 until he got his nuke power-up, then you can see his body generally grew while his head remained the same size, thus making him look much more bulkier than he did in the arctic. So that I somewhat understand, it's just really stupid how bulky Godzilla is. He looked much better when he was slimmer, they just should have added more muscle to him.

These statues really encompass the slimness and overall lean looking Goji we should have just kept in the MV:
Image Image
Image Image

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I always felt kinda bad for the mangled Hyper Gyaos that fell to the ground in Gamera III. Even though they are merciless hypercarnivores that would tear you to pieces without hesitation, still felt bad to see it suffer with its eyeball hanging out.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:47 pm I always felt kinda bad for the mangled Hyper Gyaos that fell to the ground in Gamera III. Even though they are merciless hypercarnivores that would tear you to pieces with hesitation, still felt bad to see it suffer with its eyeball hanging out.
SAME!!! That scene was so meticulously well shot and will always be incredible to me, but yeah that poor Gyaos :cry:
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I really love Showa Gamera and I regret being very harsh on the films a few years back. I still have major issues with many of the Showa Gamera films, but I think they add a unique blend of weirdness and kid-friendly campiness, that makes them occupy a very special niche. Maybe this has to do with me buying toys of them, but I also just love how bizarre some of the monster designs are. Whereas the Godzilla franchise had a lot of dinosaurian monsters (Godzilla, Angurius, Rodan, Baragon, Varan, Goroaurus, Manda etc...) and then "realistic creatures" (Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Ganimes, Kamoebas) that gradually drifted into bipedial into bipedal alien nightmares with tons of abilities (Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, Mechagodzilla), it's fascinating seeing the evolution of Gamera designs, where they all have very distinctive physical features, and don't dilleniate between bipedal and quadrapedal so clearly. Despite some of the cheaper aspects, each of the Gamera foes stand out really well, and I love them.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

While I'm not a fan of the Showa Gamera movies, I agree that they did a good job of coming up with diverse kaiju designs. They're all distinct in both appearance and abilities (though I do think Viras is pretty lame). The Gamera series' tendency to have great kaiju villains certainly continued into the Heisei films; I like both Legion and Iris better than any of the new kaiju that Toho came up with in the 90s.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:17 am While I'm not a fan of the Showa Gamera movies, I agree that they did a good job of coming up with diverse kaiju designs. They're all distinct in both appearance and abilities (though I do think Viras is pretty lame). The Gamera series' tendency to have great kaiju villains certainly continued into the Heisei films; I like both Legion and Iris better than any of the new kaiju that Toho came up with in the 90s.
As a Destoroyah fan reading this hurts lol

I do agree Gamera has some creative Kaiju in the Showa Era...I just wish those Kaiju were in better films.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Some of the unusual choices in the Showa Gamera kaiju make them memorable creatures. Guiron, Jiger, and Zigra are all interesting looking kaiju, and those interesting design choices sometimes gave them useful weapons.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Lately I kind off wish King Kong vs. Godzilla never happened. If it didn't, people would be be fuming over who's the better monster and who should have won.
Spoiler:
Godzilla's better then Kong as a movie and kaiju, BTW

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:56 am Lately I kind off wish King Kong vs. Godzilla never happened. If it didn't, people would be be fuming over who's the better monster and who should have won.
If King Kong vs. Godzilla never happened, we wouldn't have a Godzilla franchise spanning 70 years. That was the film that made Godzilla internationally popular and without its success, Godzilla Raids Again likely would have been Godzilla's last film. I'd much rather listen to fanboys argue about who's the better monster than not have the Godzilla series. Also, I've come to like KKvG a lot and, success aside, the series wouldn't be the same without it.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:56 am Lately I kind off wish King Kong vs. Godzilla never happened. If it didn't, people would be be fuming over who's the better monster and who should have won.
Well that's really on the people who feel the need to make this a big deal, not the movie itself. Like seriously, who cares? Why are Godzilla fans so hung up on this? I've always felt you can tell the maturity level of a Godzilla fan by the way they deal with the subject of Kong fighting Godzilla.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 am
Well that's really on the people who feel the need to make this a big deal, not the movie itself. Like seriously, who cares? Why are Godzilla fans so hung up on this? I've always felt you can tell the maturity level of a Godzilla by the way they deal with the subject of Kong fighting Godzilla.
Me, but exchange Kong vs Godzilla to Son Of Godzilla in any capacity.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah that too. There's a good chance I'm not going to have much interest in your opinion if you come out swinging against Son of Godzilla.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I can actually understand the tribalism in Kong vs Godzilla, as a sports thing. It doesn't make it right! So, whatever. I just went through the World Cup, and I never root for Miami teams, so I get it. Son of Godzilla though, I legit will judge your capacity to make a good or coherent film critique based on how you judge it (not if you think its good or not).

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I wish other fandoms had the passive “”toxicity”” of a simple “You like dumb monkey! Haha king lizard better you’re stupid”

I can’t help it, everytime I see someone complain about the toxicity between Kong and Godzilla fans with screenshotted evidence it just comes down to the most laughable responses from obvious trolls or literal children. “you’re a brainlet if you like that big dumb ape” etc.

Meanwhile there’s genuine internet wars between fandoms and sports fans literally burn down cities and follow players to their homes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Kong/Godzilla stuff is immature and stupid, but it's not toxic. Godzilla fans never forced anyone connected with these films off the internet and/or told them to go kill themselves.

....although in the early 2000s fans definitely were a little much when Megumi Odaka went to Gfest. It was years before she went back.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:06 pm ....although in the early 2000s fans definitely were a little much when Megumi Odaka went to Gfest. It was years before she went back.
I'm curious about what actually happened? I've heard the attendees made her uncomfortable, but when she came to the con a few years back I was lucky enough to chat with her on the patio for a while, and was really glad she was comfortable enough that time around.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I wasn't there. I've just heard a lot about the fans being their usual obsessive, horny selves.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Caring about which fictional character is stronger, beyond a simple fan analysis never ceases to amaze me. This doesn't just apply to Godzilla, but it's amusing to me when fans can't accept whatever character is their favorite, particularly a strong one, can't always be the best, or isn't always the most popular.

Funnily enough, even if someone doesn't like King Kong vs. Godzilla 1962, in addition to the possibility of the franchise never existing, there's a good chance that the MV wouldn't exist either (how's that for irony!). Godzilla 2014 was originally a stand alone film, and it wasn't till Kong Skull Island, that they had the idea to pit the two monsters together. Godzilla vs. Kong is an outlandish idea, if the 1962 film didn't lay down the tracks first.

In regards to Megumi Odaka, I feel bad for her and her experiences at Gfes (assuming they're true), but I highly doubt the Japanese fanbase is any better. People are just gross, but don't take it to be an exclsuive thing to Gfes, or even the Godzilla community.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.