Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by StardustGenius »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:43 pm Caring about which fictional character is stronger, beyond a simple fan analysis never ceases to amaze me. This doesn't just apply to Godzilla, but it's amusing to me when fans can't accept whatever character is their favorite, particularly a strong one, can't always be the best, or isn't always the most popular.

Funnily enough, even if someone doesn't like King Kong vs. Godzilla 1962, in addition to the possibility of the franchise never existing, there's a good chance that the MV wouldn't exist either (how's that for irony!). Godzilla 2014 was originally a stand alone film, and it wasn't till Kong Skull Island, that they had the idea to pit the two monsters together. Godzilla vs. Kong is an outlandish idea, if the 1962 film didn't lay down the tracks first.

In regards to Megumi Odaka, I feel bad for her and her experiences at Gfes (assuming they're true), but I highly doubt the Japanese fanbase is any better. People are just gross, but don't take it to be an exclsuive thing to Gfes, or even the Godzilla community.
Not a sports person are we?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:23 pm Not a sports person are we?
Sports are different because they're real people. Fictional narratives are designed by nature, and can change accordingly. The authors/writers and production team/group always have the final choice in outcome so it's silly to get bent out of shape over the final results.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:02 am Yeah that too. There's a good chance I'm not going to have much interest in your opinion if you come out swinging against Son of Godzilla.
To be fair, there is a difference between immature criticisms like "ewwww, Minya bad!!! Kiddy movies suck!! Wahhhh!!" and mature movie criticism like on the old Monster Zero News movie reviews. Keep in mind I don't agree with this review as SOG is in my top 10 Godzilla movies.

One of the Godzilla scholar types (I forgot who but he did one of the audio commentaries on the classic media dvds) criticized SOG for inconsistent tone, the Godzilla and Minya suit designs, Sayeko being a bland character, and the humor being flat from what I could remember. He gave SOG a 4/10 at the time. To me even though I don't agree with that analysis, that's still more depth than fans saying Minya is ugly only.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:44 pm
Sports are different because they're real people. Fictional narratives are designed by nature, and can change accordingly. The authors/writers and production team/group always have the final choice in outcome so it's silly to get bent out of shape over the final results.
There is absolutely NO difference between Fictional Narratives vs "Can Lebon and friends take on Jordan and friends?". They cannot happen IRL either way. They are ultimately fantasy narratives.

Statistics speak for something, but people will get worked up one way or the other out of team/brand loyalty.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

When are we getting Buakaw Banchamek vs Godzilla?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

StardustGenius wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:08 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:44 pm
There is absolutely NO difference between Fictional Narratives vs "Can Lebon and friends take on Jordan and friends?". They cannot happen IRL either way. They are ultimately fantasy narratives.

Statistics speak for something, but people will get worked up one way or the other out of team/brand loyalty.
He Jock it Made of Steel

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Everyone has their favorites when it comes to characters and real people, but some are more sensitive when their favorite doesn't get the love they feel they deserve. It's just going to happen whether you're discussing teams and athletes or movies and their characters. Human nature can be an interesting thing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:27 am When are we getting Buakaw Banchamek vs Godzilla?
In Godzilla Final Wars: Infinity. Just replace the PRIDE guys with RIZIN guys. Masakatsu Funaki will rep NOAH.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:09 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:27 am When are we getting Buakaw Banchamek vs Godzilla?
In Godzilla Final Wars: Infinity. Just replace the PRIDE guys with RIZIN guys. Masakatsu Funaki will rep NOAH.
You hear this man, Toho? Make it happen. This will redefine what true entertainment is.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

IDK if I posted in this thread before, but...

-Godzilla vs Biollante is the peak of the whole Godzilla series, in my opinion. Both in terms of the film itself being easily the best and the suits and designs being the best they have ever looked.
-Ebirah Horror of the Deep and Son of Godzilla are the best Showa films and consistently the ones Im most excited to watch.
-The Showa MechaGodzilla films are easily the most forgettable of that series. The Heisei MechaG film is leagues better.
-Godzilla 1998 does in fact suck but Zilla is a fucking awesome kaiju.
-Bagan is honestly really goofy looking and I think Destoroyah is a much more fitting final boss for Godzilla. Bagan looks like an Ultra kaiju more than anything
-Im honestly more of a Godzilla figure collector than a Godzilla movie fan. Im working on changing that.
-Kong is a bad match for Godzilla. Obviously we cannot ignore the history between them, but it goes without saying that if you have to fundamentally change who a character is just to make the fight more fair then its a bad match.
-Godzilla 2014 is absolutely amazing. The Monsteverse overall however is the weakest Godzilla series so far.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^Some bold stuff up there.

1. I don't know if it's possible to have an overall 'best' Godzilla design, but Biogoji works extremely well as a Heisei suit. Easily the best movie? That's a tall claim. It has a lot going for it, no question, but the utterly forgettable 'lead' characters are a problem (I've seen the movie a lot of times and I can't tell you who the male lead is or what he does in the story), and there's a huge amount of distractingly terrible English acting, among other issues.

2. Fair enough. Kinda bizarre in that these two are fairly removed from the 'standard' Godzilla film tropes and expectations, but then that can be taken as a good thing. They're both great, anyway.

3. Lies and heresy.

No comment on the other confessions right now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Ive watched both MechaG films at least twice and cannot tell you a damn thing that happened in either.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:35 am Ive watched both MechaG films at least twice and cannot tell you a damn thing that happened in either.
Aside from the monster fights, what else actually HAPPENS in Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla 93? Terror of Mechagodzilla at least has flashy villians, a tragic love story and an even more tragic ending. I can see putting the 93 film over the 74 one because they're both just vapid action movies, but Terror is the only one of the three that's got more going for it than just "Look, monsters fighting!"

And while there's so much great stuff in Biollante there's enough wrong with it (too many uninteresting characters, a messy musical score and some really bad editing) to keep it far from my list of the best Godzilla films. While I understand the love for this film I don't understand what's so remarkable about it to make people say its the absolute best. From a special effects standpoint is extremely impressive. As a functioning movie? Meh.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Vs Biollante also has a kinda weak volcano sequence, considering all the cool volcano sequences from the decade before. Submersion, Magnitude, and RoG have very good ones.

I think the one from Vs Mothra is actually very good and way better than the one from the vs Biollante.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:35 am Ive watched both MechaG films at least twice and cannot tell you a damn thing that happened in either.
Are you forgetting that the first film introduced the greatest villain theme ever? It’s a crime that that it was never reused in any subsequent MechaGodzilla film (aside from its brief appearance in GFW).

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah it's literally Godzilla walking up a mountainside as explosions go off behind him in a scene that just kind of starts and ends really abruptly, like a lot of stuff in this movie. On top of that, it's scored to an Ifukube piece from his Ostinato composition. The volcano escape from Godzilla VS Mothra completely DESTROYS this sequence.

And SpiderZilla, why would they reuse music composed by Sato in films scored by Ifukube or Oshima, where it wouldn't fit musically or tonally?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

SpiderZilla wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:09 am Are you forgetting that the first film introduced the greatest villain theme ever? It’s a crime that that it was never reused in any subsequent MechaGodzilla film (aside from its brief appearance in GFW).
It definitely has a great theme, but I didnt even remember it from this movie.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:13 am And SpiderZilla, why would they reuse music composed by Sato in films scored by Ifukube or Oshima, where it wouldn't fit musically or tonally?
Godzilla’s theme appears in projects that were not scored by Ifukube so it wouldn’t be unprecedented.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:33 am IDK if I posted in this thread before, but...

-
-Ebirah Horror of the Deep and Son of Godzilla are the best Showa films and consistently the ones Im most excited to watch.
-The Showa MechaGodzilla films are easily the most forgettable of that series. The Heisei MechaG film is leagues better.
-
-
-
-Kong is a bad match for Godzilla. Obviously we cannot ignore the history between them, but it goes without saying that if you have to fundamentally change who a character is just to make the fight more fair then its a bad match.
- Ebirah is one of my favorites.
- IMO ToMG has more interesting characters, drama, and storyline.
- They're the most famous giant monsters in the world. Even if it didn't happen in the 60s, their popularity would have ensured meeting sometime later.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Woah ho there, I won't stand by any TOMG slander in my sight :P Maybe I'm biased but the pathos from TOMG left such an impact on myself as a kid, and nowadays I still love it a lot as an adult, especially with all the things I've learned about Ishiro Honda as a director.

Which I suppose leads to my """"confession""", which is part of the reason I'm a big fan of Godzilla's Revenge would be that it feels very down to Earth in the most Ishiro Honda way possible. What I mean is that the more lowkey narrative of Revenge that focuses on daily life feels in line with the many non sci-fi Honda films I've read about in his biography. He's done a lot of work that focuses on more mundane stories that interest me, and I hope to track down all his films one day. The Human Vapor in particular is one I've seen and while it is sci-fi, there's a certain two scenes that - in my eyes - captures the quiet beauty of Honda's style. That blend of being in reality but having a dream somewhere far away. I plan on tracking down a non-dangerous source to see The Blue Pearl next. But yes, I totally get why Revenge isn't held in high regard, however I personally think it has more going for it than what others may judge it for. I don't mind a Godzilla story that keeps things simple, and I sense a little bit of Honda in Ichiro when he dreams.