Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Coobzilla03 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:57 pm I have not seen Shin Godzilla, nor any of the MonsterVerse past 2017's King Kong. Forgive me, Godzilla, for I am a sinner
Go watch Godziban, and you'll be forgiven.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:04 am
Spuro wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:28 pmNow I like Shin too, but let's not blatantly lie to the guy here...
:lol:

Okay, let's try again. Shin is a traditional, authentic Godzilla movie.

It does get creative with the character's aesthetics, but only to sell more Bandai figures in the name of making Godzilla shocking, disturbing, and intimidating for modern audiences.
I find that a strong point of the film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaiju cinema still hasn't recovered since the release of Kong: King of Atlantis, which was banned for being so damn good. It's King Kong fighting David Kaye, there's no higher summit to surpass. Everyone go home.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 pm Kaiju cinema still hasn't recovered since the release of Kong: King of Atlantis, which was banned for being so damn good. It's King Kong fighting David Kaye, there's no higher summit to surpass. Everyone go home.
Monke musical ftw.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 pm Kaiju cinema still hasn't recovered since the release of Kong: King of Atlantis, which was banned for being so damn good. It's King Kong fighting David Kaye, there's no higher summit to surpass. Everyone go home.
This post has drawn my attention to Kong The Animated series, something I've never seen, and everything I'm looking at is biwildering. People fusing with animals? Is it some kind of Godzilla the Animated series clone? Weird.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 pm
This post has drawn my attention to Kong The Animated series, something I've never seen, and everything I'm looking at is biwildering. People fusing with animals? Is it some kind of Godzilla the Animated series clone? Weird.
It's not as good as GTS but KTAS is still great! Kong fights two actual gods in it, it's pretty sick!
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sounds interesting. I might take a look at it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Screw it, I’ll bite. I’ve got a couple I’ve got on my chest for now.

1) I only recently watched the Heisei Gamera movies, and I’m glad I eventually did get to them. Irisu is one of my favorite daikaiju ever, and each movie had something special about them story-wise. I’ve got a new appreciation for that big ol fire turtle.
I had copies of the movies in my collection for years, somehow kept putting them off. Gonna give the other Gamera movies a watch sometime (I already gave a rewatch to the very original a few months ago, as it was the only Gamera movie I had sat down to watch before this last year).

2) The one Godzilla movie I still haven’t checked out is Son of Godzilla. That one I couldn’t tell ya why, despite having watched numerous clips of it. I’m going to remedy that as soon as I can. I don’t have anything against it, but when I was a teen getting into Godzilla, it felt really corny as a concept to me. Now that I’m older I think I can appreciate it better, anyways, so it might work out for the best.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

My confession is that after the really good Godzilla 2014 and the glorious Shin Godzilla in 2016, nothing of interest has been released that carries the name Godzilla in it since 2004 imo. The Anime movies look kinda okayish tho I'm not a fan of animated Godzilla movies. Godzilla Singular Point couldn't catch my interest and the American films went downhill as soon as they decided to rely on fanservice (tho GvK was a huge improvement over KotM). And Godziban kinda creeps me out, especially with the most recent news about and characters in it.

Hoping for the next Godzilla film by Toho to finally break this curse and give me sth decent and watchable.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I think Son of Godzilla is one of those movies that's best watched for the first time when you're either very young and likely to be unquestioningly entertained by Minya and afraid of the arthropod villains, or well into adulthood once you've mellowed out some and become more willing to embrace your inner child or appreciate the technical aspects of filmmaking. A teenager, naturally rejecting the childish and seeking the cool, edgy, or badass, is probably the least likely person to have fun with this movie. Unlike most of the more recent Godzilla entries, it's just not made to appeal to that mindset.

And yeah, I really have high hopes for the upcoming Toho movie. It's exciting, having Shin as an example of what's possible while still having a blank slate ahead of us. Toho has changed so much in the last few years, it seems like anything can happen now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho has been trying several new ideas with Godzilla and other kaiju, so there's no telling what will happen next.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The roar used in the original Cloverfield teaser was cooler than Clover's actual roar and design in the movie.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While I like the original Shobijin, I feel the Elias are the best of the Mothra priestess. They're the most fleshed out of them.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:55 pm While I like the original Shobijin, I feel the Elias are the best of the Mothra priestess. They're the most fleshed out of them.
Yeah when I think of the Shobijin my mind goes to Lora and Moll. I have a lot of problems with the ROM trilogy but their role and conflict with Belvera was the highlight of those films.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

godjacob wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:26 am
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:55 pm While I like the original Shobijin, I feel the Elias are the best of the Mothra priestess. They're the most fleshed out of them.
Yeah when I think of the Shobijin my mind goes to Lora and Moll. I have a lot of problems with the ROM trilogy but their role and conflict with Belvera was the highlight of those films.
Quite fittingly for this thread I can say that the RoM movies are very enjoyable to me. Sure they got their cringy moments but the overall stories told are good, the suits and monsters looking cool. And the third one (even though I honestly gotta say I feel like Gidorah is way overused) has some very memorable moments and is such an epic conclusion. Love the depiction of the cretaceous age, the overall storyline and plan of Gidorah. Also the Mothra movies have pretty much the thing so many people complain about in the Hate Heisei/Millenium threads for those movies to be missing - daily life in Japan scenes.
Last edited by Dyrakro on Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Dyrakro wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 am Also the Mothra movies have pretty much the thing so many people complain about in the Hate Heisei/Millenium threads for those movies to be missing - daily life in Japan scenes.
Very true. The military is mostly (entirely?) absent from this trilogy, and that's something to recognize and applaud. For all that these movies suffer from other aspects of '90s Heisei execution, they do break the mold by giving us human casts of ordinary civilians with normal lives. Gotta give credit where it's due.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can't recall any military action in the ROM trilogy, and we only have two rampage scenes if I'm correct. These stories show ordinary people dealing with extraordinary situations.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Kind of a meta one here, and I am really playing with fire here. I wish the circumstances that made these movies possible, had never happened. If that means Godzilla as a series never existed, so be it.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I mean…yeah? I don’t think nuclear warfare and it’s implications is something anyone likes or glad that it exists…except for corrupt politicians and competing superpowers obviously.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We'd all breathe and sleep easier if there was no nuclear conflict. We all hope.

It does invite the question whether the popularity of BF20,000F might have spawned some other film maker to make a similar monster movie, though one without significant cultural impact. It'd be just another atomic monster on the rampage and easily forgotten except by fans of the genre.