Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by _JNavs_ »

I used to think TOMG came before GvMG in the timeline lol
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh yeah I think little kid me honestly thought the prologue for Terror of Mechagodzilla was part of the same movie. Then late elementary school me found the Cosmic Monster cut and was like 'oooooh!' Then I found the proper Mechagodzilla cut and the movie was better.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

When I was a kid, I first saw Gorosaurus in GR. For a while, I thought his name was Brasaurus because that's what it sounded like when Ichiro said the name.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:50 pm Woah ho there, I won't stand by any TOMG slander in my sight :P Maybe I'm biased but the pathos from TOMG left such an impact on myself as a kid, and nowadays I still love it a lot as an adult, especially with all the things I've learned about Ishiro Honda as a director.

Which I suppose leads to my """"confession""", which is part of the reason I'm a big fan of Godzilla's Revenge would be that it feels very down to Earth in the most Ishiro Honda way possible. What I mean is that the more lowkey narrative of Revenge that focuses on daily life feels in line with the many non sci-fi Honda films I've read about in his biography. He's done a lot of work that focuses on more mundane stories that interest me, and I hope to track down all his films one day. The Human Vapor in particular is one I've seen and while it is sci-fi, there's a certain two scenes that - in my eyes - captures the quiet beauty of Honda's style. That blend of being in reality but having a dream somewhere far away. I plan on tracking down a non-dangerous source to see The Blue Pearl next. But yes, I totally get why Revenge isn't held in high regard, however I personally think it has more going for it than what others may judge it for. I don't mind a Godzilla story that keeps things simple, and I sense a little bit of Honda in Ichiro when he dreams.
Hit the nail on the head with regards to Revenge. For better or worse it is very much a Honda movie in both execution and spirit, and it's because of this that I cannot truly bring myself to dislike it despite not being my favorite. It's perfectly aware of the message and tone it wants to get across and does it pretty well imo. It's just a mundane exploration of Godzilla from the perspective of an avarege kid during this time and it gives it a pretty innocent and wholesome edge.

Added in 3 minutes 13 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:26 am ^Some bold stuff up there.

1. I don't know if it's possible to have an overall 'best' Godzilla design, but Biogoji works extremely well as a Heisei suit. Easily the best movie? That's a tall claim. It has a lot going for it, no question, but the utterly forgettable 'lead' characters are a problem (I've seen the movie a lot of times and I can't tell you who the male lead is or what he does in the story), and there's a huge amount of distractingly terrible English acting, among other issues.

2. Fair enough. Kinda bizarre in that these two are fairly removed from the 'standard' Godzilla film tropes and expectations, but then that can be taken as a good thing. They're both great, anyway.

3. Lies and heresy.

No comment on the other confessions right now.
As badly lined as the Engrish moments in Biollante are I can't help but love them for their sheer over the top ridiculousness and outright disconnect from the plot at times. The random "Lethal Weapon" bit constantly makes me lose it.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

After spending many years as a staunch hater of Godzilla's Revenge/All Monsters Attack, I'm willing to admit that it's not that bad. I still don't particularly like it but, as of my most recent viewing, I can at least respect what it was trying to do. It's certainly not the worst movie in the series. I classify it as a "curiosity" that's interesting to analyze if not necessarily a joy to watch.

The only thing I still hate is that atrocious opening theme song. Shit makes my ears bleed.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I have not seen Shin Godzilla, nor any of the MonsterVerse past 2017's King Kong. Forgive me, Godzilla, for I am a sinner
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Coobzilla03 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:57 pm I have not seen Shin Godzilla, nor any of the MonsterVerse past 2017's King Kong. Forgive me, Godzilla, for I am a sinner
Godzilla's a forgiving guy, but we're talking about some hardcore heresy here. Evil, unholy stuff. I'm going to have to go buy five Bandai figures and ritually burn a GINO VHS just to purify myself after quoting your post. You... I can't even imagine what you'll have to do. Watch Spacegodzilla 35 times as penance and build a shrine to Minya in your front yard, at the very least.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Coobzilla, go watch KoTM. I think you'll like it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Shin Godzilla is really fucking good but honestly you could just skip all the Monsterverse films lol. Joking of course, they are fun movies and definitely worth watching.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Coobzilla03 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:57 pm I have not seen Shin Godzilla, nor any of the MonsterVerse past 2017's King Kong. Forgive me, Godzilla, for I am a sinner
Honestly, I’m sort of envious of you; the ability to watch Shin Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Kong on one lazy afternoon is for the first time is something I could never be able to experience.

But wait, are you also implying you haven’t seen SP, or the anime trilogy? Or by some contrarian bs you’ve seen those but not the others?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:10 am But wait, are you also implying you haven’t seen SP, or the anime trilogy? Or by some contrarian bs you’ve seen those but not the others?
Neither of them either. Don't even know what Single Point is exactly beyond the name :lol:
Resized Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Damn. SP too? You are really missing out lmao.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Definitely recommending to give at least some of these a look, if not out of any obligation or interest then at least for the general neat batch of Godzilla fill.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shin, at least, is pretty much obligatory. It's a traditional, authentic Godzilla movie in every way except for the lack of practical effects, and then also brings a healthy dose of fresh creativity into the mix. It's also just smart and well crafted, easily the best movie of the new era.

KOTM does right by the monsters, more or less, but is a typical junky American blockbuster beyond that. Kind of a landmark, but nothing amazing.

GvK is skippable. Some of the action was fun, but only some. A brainless nothing of a movie.

You'll probably be happier not having sunk time into the Anime Trilogy. Only a few minutes are worth watching, and only just.

Singular Point... tried. There was good, there was bad, but ultimately it left me kind of cold. It's not required viewing unless you're a Jet Jaguar fan.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Im not sure Id say any Godzilla movie is OBLIGATORY aside from the original. If you like the original, go ahead and watch Shin Godzilla. If you don't, and you prefer stuff like late showa camp or the fun sci fi of the Heisei, then you probably wont like Shin Godzilla.

I personally wouldn't want to inject too much of my own opinions into this, and would just say that based on your personal tastes there is value to be found in some of the films. If you like the Showa era/ are really nostalgic, KoTM and GvK will be right up your alley. If you want a more sci fi but still serious portrayal, Singular Point is a lot of fun. Truth be told, I don't really know the type of person to recommend the anime trilogy to, since I haven't watched any anime outside of the Godzilla ones and one episode of Attack on Titan.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I'll give all the new stuff a shot, eventually. I just haven't been into Godzilla in a while. Perhaps that was for the best because now I have a lot of new stuff at my fingertips!
Resized Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Not a bad outlook on things. At least you can scratch the itch when it comes.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:55 am [Shins] a traditional, authentic Godzilla movie in every way except for the lack of practical effects
Now I like Shin too, but let's not blatantly lie to the guy here...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

What's the lie?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:28 pmNow I like Shin too, but let's not blatantly lie to the guy here...
:lol:

Okay, let's try again. Shin is a traditional, authentic Godzilla movie.

It does get creative with the character's aesthetics, but only to sell more Bandai figures in the name of making Godzilla shocking, disturbing, and intimidating for modern audiences.