What if Ishiro Honda directed Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

What if Ishiro Honda directed Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2?

Post by darthzilla99 »

I haven't really seen this discussed in depth and felt it deserves it's own thread. Mods feel free to move this to the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 talkback thread if necessary.

So for those that don't know, Ishiro Honda was being tapped into directing the 40th anniversary Godzilla film before he sadly passed away (RIP). But let's say Honda lived longer and took the job. How do you think the movie would have been?

Here's my thoughts. I think the overall plot and kaiju used would have been very similar. But I think the respect for Honda that most of the crew would have spilled over in the effort. Kawakita worked with Honda in the past, and given that Kawakita hated Toho picking unknown directors out of the hat, I think Kawakita would have renewed motivation and creativity working with a respected director from the early showa days again. I think the effects work would have improved imo.

I also think Honda would have emphasized character development more on Godzilla, Rodan, Baby, and the human cast. Also I think he would have played off the life vs. Artificial narrative given that he was always big on the emotional ethos of his work.

So what is everyone's thoughts?
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What if Ishiro Honda directed Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Isn't this an urban legend based on speculation on a misquote?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I don't think Honda's morale would've been very high. He felt that Godzilla should've been put to rest after Tsuburaya's death.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:49 pm Isn't this an urban legend based on speculation on a misquote?
This is now believed to be the case now, although I think there is a bit of lingering debate about the circumstances surrounding the quotation, ie if Toho had an interest in Honda directing or if he was being asked just because. I also know at least one English language Godzilla book repeated the legend before it was debunked.

I do think it would've been amazing to see Honda tackle a Heisei film. I'd really love to have seen what an older, wiser Honda could do with the kinds of budget and effects available twenty plus years later.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.