What Were Your Favorite Purchases In 2022?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What Were Your Favorite Purchases In 2022?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

2022 was a big year for me in terms of collecting. I finally got a nice room to display my stuff after moving into a big apartment and it gave me the excuse to spend more. I have a pretty big collection now, with new figures I love.

1. Marmit Meganulon
I love this thing. It's big, bulky, and screams "retro". It's based off a relatively obscure monster and looks cool. I love it. If/when I see another Meganulon in a different color I'll get it ASAP.
Spoiler:
2. Old+Bandais
This was the year I finally started getting some old and ancient bandais. Rodan 1956 was a really neat addition to my collection. I also got Baragon, and a few other vinyls from Gamera including Jiger and Barugon. My favorite of the bunch might be Viras, whose recent re-watching of the film made me fall in love with the creature. What a quirky and weird toy. It fits nicely alongside a lot of the Marusans actually.
Spoiler:
3. New Special Bandais

Sorry not sorry, but I love Gigan Rex and the Godzilla that came with the set. In addition to them, I love all the new bandais that came out in 2022; it feels like a renanssance of new figures. I love Varan, Megagurius, Godzilla 1984, Godzilla 1991, and pretty much all the bandai releases from 2022. Might seem like a curveball, but I think my favorite is the Daimajin figure, just because it's so neat to have.

4. Lots of Marusans
This was the year I started heavily collecting Marusans, and I have quite the collection now. I have various Hedorahs, a sparkly Gigan and Angurius, and some other small Biollantes. If I had to pin it though, this Pink Hedorah has to be my favorite:
Spoiler:
The mash of the subtle white plastic and pink paint, with the red eyes works surprising well. I love it but haven't taken it out of the bag yet.

4. Godzilla 1955 and Angurius 1955 Special Box Set:
This felt really rare when I bought it. Not sure how rare it is now, but I saw some pretty expensive listings. I like the colors and it's nice having a figure of 1955.
Spoiler:

5. All the Iwakura figures
Started purchasing Iwakura figures this year too. While small, I love them as a way to get ahold of some REALLY obscure monsters for relatively cheap. I'm glad to say I have a figure of Ganimes, Maguma, the Giant Sea Serpent, and Matango in my collection now. They go and fit nicely alongside my gashapon figures.

In summary, I got a bit of the old, a bit of the new, and a good mix of MMS, Marusan and small diorama figures. Great year for collecting.

Actually, there's one big item that I bought in 2022 that won't ship till May/June. I'll count it for 2023, but I can't wait to show everyone!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.