Movie I saw on tv in the 70s

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
RussT
Young Farmer

Movie I saw on tv in the 70s

Post by RussT »

I'm new to this forum, so I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
I saw a movie on tv in the 1970s as a child and it had a scene that freaked me out. It was likely a Japanese film, that was likely from the 60s. I've been looking online to see what the name was, but I've had no luck. One scene in particular has really stayed with me all these years and I'll describe it below, in the hopes that someone knows the name of the film.

The scene that freaked me out:
A type of squid or octopus styled creature with long tentacled arms is standing inside a room. I believe it had a human voice and was very intelligent.
The creature is surrounded by men in military outfits in a circle around it.
It lifts one of it's tentacled arms and in one circular swoop literally decapitates all the men surrounding him.
Even though they are headless, they do not fall down. They remain standing and then all at once tentacles begin to sprout out of the necks where their heads were. They all turn into the same type of squid like octopus creature and the large squid/octopus creature is now their leader.

Does that ring a bell to anyone? That scene freaked me out as a kid.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Movie I saw on tv in the 70s

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

RussT wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:42 pm I'm new to this forum, so I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
I saw a movie on tv in the 1970s as a child and it had a scene that freaked me out. It was likely a Japanese film, that was likely from the 60s. I've been looking online to see what the name was, but I've had no luck. One scene in particular has really stayed with me all these years and I'll describe it below, in the hopes that someone knows the name of the film.

The scene that freaked me out:
A type of squid or octopus styled creature with long tentacled arms is standing inside a room. I believe it had a human voice and was very intelligent.
The creature is surrounded by men in military outfits in a circle around it.
It lifts one of it's tentacled arms and in one circular swoop literally decapitates all the men surrounding him.
Even though they are headless, they do not fall down. They remain standing and then all at once tentacles begin to sprout out of the necks where their heads were. They all turn into the same type of squid like octopus creature and the large squid/octopus creature is now their leader.

Does that ring a bell to anyone? That scene freaked me out as a kid.
You’re thinking of Viras from Gamera vs. Viras. They’re not military men, they’re strange Virasian scientists disguised as humans.

Thanks for the memory, I never really thought about it, but the way that Viras talks to his underlings (?), and then decapitates their human facades are pretty creepy. Other than that it’s a rather kid friendly movie.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Gamera_vs._Viras
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Movie I saw on tv in the 70s

Post by Legion1979 »

This is the only Gamera movie my 8 year old has seen. She's squeamish about violence. During this scene (and Gamera getting impaled) her reaction was just "EW EW EW EW!"