MonsterVerse ultimate omnibus Kickstarter is live

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ryu
Samurai

MONSTERVERSE Omnibus kickstarter

Post by Ryu »

The title says it all. There is going to be a kickstarter made by lengendary to make an Omnibus form of the books. It brings together the 3 godzilla books, plus the two of Kong and a new chapter about the titan war.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... sterverse/
Last edited by Ryu on Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MONSTERVERSE Omnibus kickstarter

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Why is Legendary using Kickstarter to fund something like this? On one hand, this looks cool, and would be a neat "end all" edition to the MV that would serve nicely alongside the movies. On the other hand, unforunately the Legendary Graphic novels really aren't so amazing, so it doesn't feel like a must-have.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

MonsterVerse ultimate omnibus Kickstarter is live

Post by gottatalktothefake »

This is a compilation of all the MonsterVerse comics, including a new one about a pilot that has an attachment to Godzilla having to attack him during the events of GvK. It’s basically the MV version of the Pacific Rim omnibus.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... escription
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Re: MonsterVerse ultimate omnibus Kickstarter is live

Post by GojiSquid »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:14 pm This is a compilation of all the MonsterVerse comics, including a new one about a pilot that has an attachment to Godzilla having to attack him during the events of GvK. It’s basically the MV version of the Pacific Rim omnibus.

I hope Zid's the one drawing the new comic. Johnson isn't awful, but his inking is wayyy to detailed and makes everything look kinda messy. In contrast, I've really liked what I've seen of Zid's rendition of the Big G.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:19 pm Why is Legendary using Kickstarter to fund something like this?
I get the impression that the comics department doesn't get a ton of funding (at least not for projects like this).
Last edited by GojiSquid on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

GojiSquid wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:06 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:14 pm This is a compilation of all the MonsterVerse comics, including a new one about a pilot that has an attachment to Godzilla having to attack him during the events of GvK. It’s basically the MV version of the Pacific Rim omnibus.

I hope Zid's the one drawing the new comic. Johnson isn't awful, but his inking is wayyy to detailed and makes everything look kinda messy. In contrast, I've really liked what I've seen of Zid's rendition of the Big G.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:19 pm Why is Legendary using Kickstarter to fund something like this?
I get the impression that the comics department doesn't get a ton of funding (at least not for projects like this).
It's probably for the same reason as the GvK storyboard book

Chris Mirjahangir: This release is rather unconventional for the Godzilla and King Kong franchises. Why go the Kickstarter route over a traditional release?

Hank Kanalz: We’ve been working on this book with Richard for some time, and it became evident that this unconventional book deserved an unconventional release. The publishing landscape has changed in the last few years, but the “traditional” timeline is still a very long one. By going the Kickstarter route, we can connect directly with Godzilla and Kong fans who, like us, don’t want to wait any longer than they have to. With the global supply chain challenges we are all facing, this turned out to be a great choice.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/interv ... nk-kanalz/
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Ugh. That’s just industry speak for…..I’m not sure what. It’s PR boilerplate though. Total redirection.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

GojiSquid wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Well you’re in luck, it is him!
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I’m debating back and forth about it because I have the physicals for most of the MV comics. Tis a hefty price to get the physical ver of this omnibus.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Why is legendary using Kickstarter for this aren’t they a millions dollar company

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Seconding this question. Feels like a very weird release method for official tie in media. Perhaps a manner to get it out faster than whatever date it might have been originally scheduled for?

Either way I am looking forward to check this out eventually. Glad Zid is finally getting a chance to illustrate a Godzilla story.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

So conflicted...have all the editions of the previous MV novels.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:11 pm I’m debating back and forth about it because I have the physicals for most of the MV comics. Tis a hefty price to get the physical ver of this omnibus.
I'm on the fence too. It really comes down to how much am I willing to pay for one exclusive comic and an elaborate slipcase?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I broke down...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

https://twitter.com/MaserSquad/status/1 ... eitfUsAAAA

New glimpses of the “call to action” story from the Omnibus. Seeing Zid draw Godzilla is insanely awesome ngl.