Rank the Millennium Godzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rank the Millennium Godzilla Films

Post by JVM »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:11 amSaying a "large chunk" of this fandom are teenagers or younger ignores entire GENERATIONS of fans who are passionate about this franchise.
"A large chunk" indicates a significant amount.
But just because less adults are on those platforms doesn't mean there are less of them compared to 18 and below.
It sounds to me, and I think most other users in this thread, that are you taking the use of "large chunk" as a "larger chunk" and therefore that someone is arguing for the outsized importance of younger fans comparatively to older fans; but this is plainly not true and not what anyone is saying, as other users have clarified. A "large chunk" is not a technical measurement, but imprecise and subjective term that does not carry an inherent implication of being a mathematically greater fraction. Half, even one-fourth can be seen as, statistically, a large chunk. The Showa films are a 'large chunk' of the franchise, but they are fifteen out of thirty-plus films - not a solid majority of the total content. If one hundred people were in a room, and thirty died, that would be even less than half, and you might still say a 'large chunk' of people in that room died, and this would still be seen as a 'significant amount', without it representing an overwhelming majority of the people. If you divided something into 50/40/10, forty is still a large chunk compared to the ten, even if forty is smaller than fifty. Certainly nobody would say that the non-Showa films are being ignored or not significant by arguing the Showa series is a large chunk of the franchise.

If someone actually said there were more younger than adult fans, I would absolutely be backing you up one thousand percent here -- G-Fest skewed older for many years I attended, I'm in some of the Facebook Groups, I would definitely say that the overall fanbase skews older in my experience, so you would be completely valid to say younger fans are not a majority, but the use of 'large chunk' here is not intended to represent an overwhelming majority as the follow-up posts have all indicated.
Please find where I said that it's a bad thing? I'm just disagreeing that "a large chunk" Godzilla fans are under 18 considering there are several decades worth of fans born before 2004.
They see you as against the idea and disagreeing because the prospect of Godzilla being popular amongst kids is all the original post you are responding to was intended to convey in the first place. The argument as to whether they are more or less than the older fanbase is almost certainly not what JAGzilla was meaning to convey, only that the Millennium series is so old that the series is now popular with children who were born after 2004. It is coming off as if you see the statement of popularity among children as invalidating the adult fanbase which doesn't look to be what JAGzilla was trying to say at all.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Heck, I wasn't even talking about popularity, just time. Any fan under eighteen, however many of them there are, was born after GFW released. That was my main point. It was a long time ago.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

That's a very strange thing to get all bothered about. GvK, or KoTM even, introduced a lot of new people to this franchise, and Id say given the nature of those films the majority of those new fans would either be kids or a particular type of young adult (20s to 30s). Given that GvK is by a wide margin the most popular Godzilla film of all time, that would mean that this new group of fans is probably a very large portion of the current fanbase, perhaps even as large or LARGER than the amount of people present pre-G14. Now obviously, like I said, this doesn't mean that all of those new fans are kids, but a whole lot of them are. A shit ton. So regardless of actual percentages we can't possibly know, is abundantly clear that a large group of the fanbase are kids or young adults. To deny that is just plain dishonest.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

1. GxMG
2. Tokyo SOS
3. GMK
4. G2000
5. GFW
6. GvMegaguirus

Kiryu duology forever holds a special place in my heart. Tokyo SOS was actually one of the first dvds of a Godzilla movie I could get my hands on, so it was among my earlier Godzilla memories. GxMG is something I can rewatch forever so I will place it in first. GMK is so solid that it and Tokyo SOS fight for that second spot. G2000 is good but I’m due to rewatch it to resolidify my opinion— for now it’s good right there. GFW is very enjoyable but flawed. GvMegaguirus is still enjoyable but compared to the rest of Millennium, it just isn’t up to snuff imo, even though Megaguirus is a dope kaiju and the plot is okay.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Aight here's mine...

1.) GMK
2.) Final Wars
3.) Godzilla Against MechaG
4.) Godzilla 2000
5.) Godzilla Tokyo SOS
6.) Godzilla vs Megaguirus

I havn't watched the Kiryu Saga in a hot minute, so I may wanna do that. Godzilla vs Megaguirus is one of the most bland and boring of the series imo.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

1. GMK
2. Godzilla 2000
3. Godzilla: Final Wars
4. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
6. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GMK
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla Final Wars
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Godzilla 2000
GMK
Against MG
FW
SOS
GvM

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gotta' say, I'm loving how G2K is getting more love as of late.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

G2K is easily the best Godzilla film released in the 90s, no competition.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

L take

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Fropston wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:41 pm G2K is easily the best Godzilla film released in the 90s, no competition.
King Ghidorah puts up a fight, but yeah... as an actual movie, all things considered, G2K is the best of them in most ways.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Fropston wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:41 pm G2K is easily the best Godzilla film released in the 90s, no competition.
Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

Seriously though, G2K had the most interesting plot and the most likable characters of any 90s Godzilla film. Of the 2000s films, only GMK tops it.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I too, am a G2K enjoyer. Great film. Seeing that Godzilla design in an ad for some kind of weird ant mobile game made me very nostalgic :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Idk, I found G2k pretty boring. Nowhere near as good as the Heisei films for sure. Orga was cool, definitely an underrated kaiju.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:22 am Idk, I found G2k pretty boring. Nowhere near as good as the Heisei films for sure. Orga was cool, definitely an underrated kaiju.
To quote you from this thread, "L take." If you think having a story makes a film boring, no wonder you prefer the Heisei films.

Agree about Orga though.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:55 am To quote you from this thread, "L take." If you think having a story makes a film boring, no wonder you prefer the Heisei films.
Not sure where you got that from. Obviously story driven films are the best films, I just found G2k specifically pretty boring and unmemorable. And some people were saying it was the best film from the 90s which is obviously absurd (in my opinion, I should specify) when you got films like Godzilla vs Destoroyah and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs MGII also in the 90s.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

You're god damn right it is. 8-)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I guess I'll be that weirdo who doesnt care for this movie. I dont think it's a bad movie, just an incredibly bland one. I was a huge Heisei fan boy in the mid to late 90s (no lie) and ate up everything Toho did. But I remember sitting in a theater in August of 2000 just bored out of my mind. It's easily my least watched pre-Reiwa Toho Godzilla movie. I just don't care for it.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:03 pm I guess I'll be that weirdo who doesnt care for this movie. I dont think it's a bad movie, just an incredibly bland one. I was a huge Heisei fan boy in the mid to late 90s (no lie) and ate up everything Toho did. But I remember sitting in a theater in August of 2000 just bored out of my mind. It's easily my least watched pre-Reiwa Toho Godzilla movie. I just don't care for it.
I’m kinda with you. I like G2K, but it is a middle of the pack kind of movie for me. It is not my favorite of the 90s Godzilla films, I can say that much.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image