Rank the Millennium Godzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Rank the Millennium Godzilla Films

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

To round out our "ranking" threads. I'll start with mine:
1 - GMK
2 - Godzilla 2000
3 - Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
4 - Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
5 - Godzilla: Final Wars
6 - Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

GMK is the obvious frontrunner here but the rest are kinda hard for me to rank. I have pretty much the same feelings about G2K, GxM and GxMG: lots of cool ideas, execution is sloppy, movie is still enjoyable. SOS is like GxMG without any of the originality, while GFW is an explosive, cheesy mess. I give the slight edge to GFW because I'd rather watch a messy movie that I can have fun with than an unoriginal movie that bores me.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rank the Millennium Godzilla Films

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

This is honestly the era I enjoy rewatching the most when I just want to have fun, so I'll just rank them by enjoyment and the emotional response they illicit:

1) GMK
2) Godzilla 2000
3) Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (it was great at the theater)
4) Tokyo SOS
5) Final Wars
6) Godzilla vs Megaguirus
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:17 pm This is honestly the era I enjoy rewatching the most when I just want to have fun, so I'll just rank them by enjoyment and the emotional response they illicit:
I’m in the same boat. This era is so much fun to rewatch! If some TV network could run a Millennium marathon I think it would bring in so many more viewers than the Showa marathons that regularly run now.

Here’s my ranking:

1) GMK
2) Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
3) Tokyo SOS
4) Godzilla 2000
5) Final Wars

Number 1 is in a league of its own. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 are almost a three-way tie with the edge going to the Kiryu Saga. Number 5 is goofy fun. Number 6 is still a fun movie despite ranking last.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

1. Attack of the Living Dead
2. Invasion of the Body Snatcher
3. Budget Evangelion
4. :gordon: Intergalactic MMA Championship :gordon:
5. Pro-Death Movie
6. :blackholealien:

I like all of these films, and in general this is probably my second favorite era after Showa. My top two of this era are among my 10 favorites in the series as a whole, with my favorite in the era easily breaking into my top 3 films in the series.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Alright let's see here.

1. GMK
2. G2K
3. Final Wars
4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
6. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Note that I don't even dislike Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Used preference revealer again. And, once again, it’s probably a more honest ranking than if I tried to put them in order. Also, again, I like all of them but they also all have pretty obvious problems. I think G2K is the best from an objective pov while also being one of the most fun to watch (strong, likeable, Showa-esque characters really elevate this one). GMK starts out so strong but stumbles too much in the third act to take the number 1 slot.

1. G2K
2. GMK
3. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
4. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
5. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
6. Final Wars

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GMK
GxMG
G2K
Tokyo SOS
GFW
GxM
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

1. GMK
2. Godzilla 2000
3. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
-bit of a gap in favoritism here-
4. Tokyo SOS
5. Godzilla vs Megaguirus
6. Godzilla Final Wars
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Alright, I’ll bite.

1. Final Wars. 9/10
2. GMK. 8.5/10
3. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla. 8/10.
4. Tokyo SOS. 8/10
5. Godzilla 2000. 8/10.
6. Godzilla vs Megaguirus. 5/10.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

SpiderZilla wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:08 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:17 pm This is honestly the era I enjoy rewatching the most when I just want to have fun, so I'll just rank them by enjoyment and the emotional response they illicit:
I’m in the same boat. This era is so much fun to rewatch! If some TV network could run a Millennium marathon I think it would bring in so many more viewers than the Showa marathons that regularly run now.

Here’s my ranking:

1) GMK
2) Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
3) Tokyo SOS
4) Godzilla 2000
5) Final Wars

Number 1 is in a league of its own. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 are almost a three-way tie with the edge going to the Kiryu Saga. Number 5 is goofy fun. Number 6 is still a fun movie despite ranking last.
Right? Same here, and I do think that Millennium films being shown around more could be a decent way to introduce newer, curious fans into Godzilla. They could make for a good bridging gap from the new to the old. I think Hulu added half of the Millennium films recently.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Millennium Series is in kind of a weird place for me. It's certifiably old school at this point, having ended before a large chunk of the fandom was born, but it still feels 'new' to me, in a way. The Showa and Heisei series had ended before I saw my first G-movie, but I got to discover the Millennium films as they were coming out, so there's a distinct 'before and after' kind of feel for me. Showa and Heisei are the established foundation, everything later is... well, later. It's hard to put into words. I see these films as lesser and less important, even though I actually don't see them that way, if that makes sense.

Ranking by personal enjoyment, though quality somewhat plays into that. Top two are legit and can go toe to toe with almost anyone. The rest are overall mid-to-bad.

Godzilla 2000
GMK

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Tokyo SOS

Godzilla Final Wars
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:21 am The Millennium Series is in kind of a weird place for me. It's certifiably old school at this point, having ended before a large chunk of the fandom was born
A large chunk of the fandom is under 18?

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:16 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:21 am The Millennium Series is in kind of a weird place for me. It's certifiably old school at this point, having ended before a large chunk of the fandom was born
Go into any youtube comment section in a video about Godzilla and you will see that the answer is yes.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fropston wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:00 am
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:16 am
Go into any youtube comment section in a video about Godzilla and you will see that the answer is yes.
That's because places like YouTube or Reddit cater to younger fans. Go to, say, Facebook you'll run into many fans who are older.

Saying a "large chunk" of this fandom are teenagers or younger ignores entire GENERATIONS of fans who are passionate about this franchise.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Its still a large chunk, nothing about this fact disproves or ignores what you say.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:19 am Its still a large chunk, nothing about this fact disproves or ignores what you say.
"A large chunk" indicates a significant amount.

I get that a lot of people here fall within or just outside that age range but come on....
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:26 am
StardustGenius wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:19 am Its still a large chunk, nothing about this fact disproves or ignores what you say.

I get that a lot of people here fall within or just outside that age range but come on....
I have no idea what the demos are for this. If its even at least 20%, that's still a large chunk. No one's ignoring that a lot of fans are also older. If I had a hunch the biggest chunk are probably in their early 20s to mid 30s, taking into account fans from all over the world.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:26 am

Millions of fans worldwide are under 18 thanks to the new films. These fans are in many different countries as well, and with that brings more numbers.

For example, Godzilla may still be niche, but during the release of GvK, it absolutely dominated the Indian Box Office. That would have to mean there are at least some fans in India, right? And in India, the largest demographic are 10-14 year olds and 15-19 year olds, each with 4.8% of the population share.

Of course, this is just speculation. What is not speculative is the aforementioned YouTube and Reddit communities, which I’d assume (so correct me if I’m mistaken) are a lot larger than the FaceBook groups.

I don’t know why you’re not open to the prospect of Godzilla being popular amongst kids.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:11 am
Fropston wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:00 am
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:16 am A large chunk of the fandom is under 18?
That's because places like YouTube or Reddit cater to younger fans. Go to, say, Facebook you'll run into many fans who are older.

Saying a "large chunk" of this fandom are teenagers or younger ignores entire GENERATIONS of fans who are passionate about this franchise.
You're reading things into this that no one is saying. No one is ignoring anyone. If ten percent of the fandom is under 18, and post-Monsterverse I'd wager it's a lot more than that, that's still a fraction worth making note of.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Of course, this is just speculation. What is not speculative is the aforementioned YouTube and Reddit communities, which I’d assume (so correct me if I’m mistaken) are a lot larger than the FaceBook groups.
Probably. But just because less adults are on those platforms doesn't mean there are less of them compared to 18 and below.
I don’t know why you’re not open to the prospect of Godzilla being popular amongst kids.
Please find where I said that it's a bad thing? I'm just disagreeing that "a large chunk" Godzilla fans are under 18 considering there are several decades worth of fans born before 2004.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.