Upcoming Projects You’re Excited for Most

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

You have three (3) options

30th Godzilla film
33%
GvK sequel
28%
Skull Island
1%
Apple TV+ series
15%
GAMERA -Rebirth-
22%

Total votes: 67

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Upcoming Projects You’re Excited for Most

Post by tbeasley »

Wasn't sure where to put this but since 3 of the 5 involved are MonsterVerse related I figured I'd put it here.

Which of the following Godzilla/kaiju projects in development are you excited for most?

Or are you completely burnt out on the current kaiju renaissance?

Your choices are...

- 30th Godzilla film
- GvK sequel
- Skull Island
- Apple TV+ series
- GAMERA -Rebirth-

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Upcoming Projects You’re Excited for Most

Post by Spuro »

GvK sequel and Gamera: Rebirth.

I can't say I'm especially interested in Toho's newest film. The Reiwa era has been largely a miss for me. Shin was good, but it was only good in spite of an awful take on Godzilla. The Anime Trilogy was a little more traditional with its monster, but it was also poorly a structured mess, devoid of life, too edgy for its own good, and filled with a cast of unlikable dickheads. And we don't talk about Singular Point.

We don't know anything about the Skull Island anime and I'm honestly not even convinced it's coming out. We've heard nothing about it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

GvK sequel by far. More Monsterverse movies are always a good thing

The Apple+ show is captivating, but I'm reserving any excitement for later until I see more promo. I'm not really into anime, and never been into Gamera.

I'd be more excited for the new Japanese movie than I am now if I knew there was a surefire way I could watch it legally
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Hourglass and the 30th Godzilla are kinda tied for me, although that may change as we get more promo material. Third place goes to GAMERA -Rebirth- for obvious reasons. And after that, I'm moderately excited for Godzilla and Kong. Last and IMHO least, there's the Skull Island cartoon. I'll watch it but I haven't been given good reason to really care.

TL;DR/Ranking:
Hourglass (Apple TV+ series)
Blockbuster Kaiju Movie
GAMERA -Rebirth-
Godzilla and Kong
Skull Island
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The new Toho film and the next MV movie are too far away for me to care. I'd be more interested in Gamera is it wasn't an anime. Everything else...meh.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The 30th Godzilla film is in the lead by far, since it's A) new Japanese live-action Godzilla, and B) excitingly unpredictable. Anything could potentially happen.

Then the GvK sequel. I didn't care for GvK at all (relatively speaking), and this is in all probability going to be very similar. But it's a new movie with Godzilla and Kong, so I'll take it.

Then Gamera: Rebirth. I have low expectations for an anime, but I'm very glad the big turtle is coming back in any form.

The Skull Island anime and Monsterverse TV show are much lower on my list. I don't expect anything from either, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Is it worth throwing Shin Kamen Rider on here too?

I’d say…

G&K
Apple Show
Shin Kamen Rider
Gamera anime (I’m a BIG Gamera fan but this is such an unknown at this time and the anime aspect kind of kills my buzz a little)
New Toho G film
Kong anime

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

In order from most to least, I'd have to say:

1. Apple+ series
2. GvK sequel
3. Toho Godzilla
4. Kong anime
5. Gamera

I'm most excited for the Apple+ series because it sparks my curiosity the most. I really don't know what to expect and I'm genuinely curious to see how they handle the story. Will they bring back the G14 design? Will it contradict established film continuity? Will it introduce new creatures? Will it feature previously mentioned MV monsters? I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

The GvK sequel excites me because it is a nice, pleasant surprise. I'm not saying I expected the MV to end after GvK, but if it did, I wouldn't have been surprised and would have been satisfied with how it concluded.

I'm looking forward to the Toho film because I can't' wait to see what fresh take they use for the character. Also very curious to see what they come up with for the design.

I really don't have any feelings for the Kong anime. Just curious to see how they tie it into the greater MV.

I like Gamera, but I think I would have been more excited for a full-length film. It's still exciting to have the big lug back though.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:01 amIs it worth throwing Shin Kamen Rider on here too?
Almost did but decided to keep it to giant monsters. Gamera already stretches the rules a bit by being non-Toho.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

the tv series from apple I dpoubt the larger monster verse will ever go back to the thrilling 14 theme and feel, its the odd one out nowdays so this might fit the bill

Gvk sequel is probably going to be more of the same as gvk/kotm, skull island is also kinda on my radar, as for the japan media well not as exited those are never going away but the license on outsiders like american hands is never a sure thing and always peak my interest.

I hope everything in the list turns up being fucking bitchin tho

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

In a way I wish they were just developing the tv show now while paying attention to social media. There seems to be A LOT of appreciation for the 2014 film and Godzilla design lately and it would have been nice to Legendary to see this and maybe work that into their plans.

It still might happen, but I’m a little doubtful at the moment.

Still. My two favorite MV projects are each getting sequels so I am very excited to see what we get.

Plus. Kurt Russell is the man. Sticking him in a Godzilla project is a dream come true.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

1. Next Toho Godzilla Film
2. Godzilla vs. Kong 2
3. Gamera Rebirth
4.Apple TV Show
5. Shin Kamen Rider
6. Kong TV Show

While I'm sure Godzilla vs. Kong 2 will be exciting and a fun watch, I also feel like we know what to expect. I'm more interested in an unknown than a rehash. If Godzilla Singular Point Season 2 existed, I'd rank it about the same as Godzilla vs. Kong 2.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

30th Godzilla film? Aren’t there 36…
For Emperor and Empire!

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

For me, the list is something like this:
1. Gamera rebirth
2. Toho Godzilla film
3. Shin Kamen Rider
4. Godzilla vs. Kong Sequel
5. Kong animated show
6. Apple TV show
With a hypothetical Singular Point Season 2 fitting in around Shin Kamen Rider (either above or below) depending on my mood.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:59 pm 30th Godzilla film? Aren’t there 36…
There are only 29 real Godzilla films. The rest are glorified fanfiction.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:57 pm
There are only 29 real Godzilla films. The rest are glorified fanfiction.
James Rolfe moment
Spoiler:
You’re joking right
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:34 am James Rolfe moment
Spoiler:
You’re joking right
Spoiler:
Yes, but also kinda... not really... the American movies and the anime are just very different beasts from the traditional practical effects Toho Godzilla. I accept, embrace, and like them, but I'd be lying if I said I don't involuntarily keep them off to the side in their own category

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Apparently not according to Toho. In the theater before I saw GxMG on Godzilla Day last month there were trivia slides with various questions on them. One asked how many Godzilla films has Toho made?

The answer? 29. I truly believe Toho doesn't count the anime trilogy.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Toho doesn't count the American movies when it comes to their own number of G Films. Every American project is its own thing in there eyes, and I guess that also goes for anime projects.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:23 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:34 am James Rolfe moment
Spoiler:
You’re joking right
Spoiler:
Yes, but also kinda... not really... the American movies and the anime are just very different beasts from the traditional practical effects Toho Godzilla. I accept, embrace, and like them, but I'd be lying if I said I don't involuntarily keep them off to the side in their own category
Well… the days of fully practical Godzilla are over. The fact that a few years ago, people actually thought King of the Monsters would have suits because Michael Dougherty mentioned practical effects in a tweet he made is odd
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated