Upcoming Projects You’re Excited for Most

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

You have three (3) options

30th Godzilla film
33%
GvK sequel
28%
Skull Island
1%
Apple TV+ series
15%
GAMERA -Rebirth-
22%

Total votes: 67

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Upcoming Projects You’re Excited for Most

Post by NSZ »

If we're doing this ridiculous splitting-hairs over medium, country, and [checks notes] manner of special effects, then I would be remiss not to mention then that there are only 28 "real" Godzilla movies, not 29.

Anyways, the Topic...

37th Godzilla movie
Gamera: Rebirth
GaK/Origins
Skull Island, though I do need some more evidence that this still exists
Hourglass (I AIN'T GOT APPLE TV+)
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

NSZ wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 am If we're doing this ridiculous splitting-hairs over medium, country, and [checks notes] manner of special effects, then I would be remiss not to mention then that there are only 28 "real" Godzilla movies, not 29.

Anyways, the Topic...
Wait, which movie are you not counting?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am
NSZ wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 am If we're doing this ridiculous splitting-hairs over medium, country, and [checks notes] manner of special effects, then I would be remiss not to mention then that there are only 28 "real" Godzilla movies, not 29.

Anyways, the Topic...
Wait, which movie are you not counting?
According to Jag's specifications, Shin wouldn't count either. Which is why this is all beyond silly.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Ehhhh, I think what he was really referring to when he mentioned the anime trilogy are the Toho films which are live action, of which there are 29. To me those anime fil.s exist in their own little bubble outside the live action movies.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

The reason why for the 29 count is because Shin and the upcoming 30th anniversary are Toho produced and made. The Animes are outsourced to Animation studios who pay toho rights to make their Godzilla animes. Same with Legendary pictures and Sony when pertaining to the big budget Hollywood films.

If hypothetically a Godzilla vs. Ultraman movie was made by Tsuburaya via paying rights fees to Toho to use Godzilla, Toho wouldn't count that in their cannon of Toho Godzilla series films even if it was done using traditional suit and miniatures Tokusatsu effects.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shin toes the line a bit, but it is Toho produced and the CGI Godzilla is made to feel like a suit. The effects are also directed by the guy behind the greatest practical effects in the genre, so that lends them a certain level of legitimacy. It's not American 'we have the money and tech to do it better' excess, it's a Japanese studio trying to stay relevant in the shadow of that mentality, and real-deal craftsmen changing with the times.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

All of these films count. This is silly.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This thread is about which projects you're most excited for, not "which project you think shouldn't count as a real film".
IMO: they're all Godzilla films, and even if Toho didn't create some, they're all ultimately created with Toho's stamp of approval (even 1998!). That being said, I think the 30th Film poll option, as noted by the OP, is intended to just stand for "Next Directly Produced and Created Toho Godzilla film" and that doesn't say anything about quality or anything about it counting/not counting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It's already been released, but since I won't see Shin Ultraman until it's official American theatrical run in a month I'm still most anticipating that movie! I'm very excited, as it's been the Kaiju project I've been most jazzed about these last few years. Once I see it I'll have to take stock as to what else I'm most hyped for.

Gamera returning is most welcome, but we don't actually know anything about this project, so it's hard to get hyped with little to go on.

I haven't been so hot on the last two Monsterverse films, but there were snatches of greatness in Godzilla vs. Kong, and if the production of this follow-up goes smoother than the chaotic process that apparently let up to that film then we in all likelihood will have a superior product.

Of course, a new Japanese Godzilla film is always exciting. And since this is another reimagining we have all the fun of seeing a new Godzilla design, learning the new lore, etc. Always fun!

Servii
Ronin

Post by Servii »

I'm mainly excited for the movies, but the Monarch show has the potential to be interesting, and it'll be great seeing Gamera back, of course. I don't know what to expect from Skull Island, besides a small side story. It'd be neat if it took place in 1933 and was about the earlier failed expedition to the island that left that shipwreck behind.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shin Kamen Rider and Dune: Part Two are the first that come to mind.

Added in 33 seconds:
Aaaand I forgot this was a MonsterVerse thread. Oof.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Frankly for all of them, but I won’t lie that the Monarch show is definitely at the top for me as of this moment due to it’s potential. Will probably get more hyped for the film as well once it’s marketing picks up, though the hints so far seem promising.

Looking forward for the 30th Toho film as well of course, it’s dope to see Yamazaki directing a full fledged G film and the setting sounds interesting.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

when is the monarch show supposed to come out?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Janjira-York wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:48 pm when is the monarch show supposed to come out?
Supposedly later this year, potentially around summer. Although no date has been provided yet. It would make sense to release it a few months before the new film to help generating interest for both so I can buy that.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

gonna save some little money for the service app then, who knows maybe its amazing and it gets more seasons and a series universe

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Put me down for G30. One of my (many, many) ideas for a Godzilla film over the years was a post-war movie that had Godzilla first turning up in the immediate aftermath of WWII. Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing and I'm excited for it. I hope that it's "Shin-esq" but not a direct prequel or anything.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

"G30". I love that, by official count, the anime trilogy doesn't count as part of Toho's Godzilla canon.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:25 am Put me down for G30. One of my (many, many) ideas for a Godzilla film over the years was a post-war movie that had Godzilla first turning up in the immediate aftermath of WWII. Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing and I'm excited for it. I hope that it's "Shin-esq" but not a direct prequel or anything.
Honestly the setting alone got me hooked up. Interesting and potentially thought provoking timeframe to set a Godzilla film in, esp with how directly it ties to WWII and the subsequent bombings as a crux. Can’t wait to see how they utilize it.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Dv-218 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:02 pm
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:25 am Put me down for G30. One of my (many, many) ideas for a Godzilla film over the years was a post-war movie that had Godzilla first turning up in the immediate aftermath of WWII. Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing and I'm excited for it. I hope that it's "Shin-esq" but not a direct prequel or anything.
Honestly the setting alone got me hooked up. Interesting and potentially thought provoking timeframe to set a Godzilla film in, esp with how directly it ties to WWII and the subsequent bombings as a crux. Can’t wait to see how they utilize it.
I think it could make for some very interesting/beautiful set design as well.