Champion Festival Cuts on Home Video

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
JunkeonWedge
Ronin

Champion Festival Cuts on Home Video

Post by JunkeonWedge »

I read that some of the Champion Festival cuts of various movies had been released on home media. Which movies, namely Godzilla, are available? Are there any others? I read Mysterians was one of them.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Champion Festival Cuts on Home Video

Post by goji1986 »

All of Toho’s Godzilla Blu-ray releases include the Champion Festival versions, with the exception of Mothra vs. Godzilla, which instead has the 1980 re-release.

The recent KKvsG Blu-ray that is mastered from the 4K restoration even includes the champion cut as a raw scan - no color correction, scratch and dust removal, and no subs for English speakers - because that IS the original camera negative. It’s superb.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

JunkeonWedge
Ronin

Post by JunkeonWedge »

goji1986 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:38 am All of Toho’s Godzilla Blu-ray releases include the Champion Festival versions, with the exception of Mothra vs. Godzilla, which instead has the 1980 re-release.

The recent KKvsG Blu-ray that is mastered from the 4K restoration even includes the champion cut as a raw scan - no color correction, scratch and dust removal, and no subs for English speakers - because that IS the original camera negative. It’s superb.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....forget something?

JunkeonWedge
Ronin

Post by JunkeonWedge »

I swear I typed something out. What I meant to say was I hadn’t been sure if the ‘80 Mothra vs Godzilla had been released, and was intrigued it had been. I’m pretty sure that the Champion MvG was released on laserdisc in ‘96 or so. I just want to double check that Mothra ‘61, Mysterians, and King Kong Escapes have been releases, on Blu Ray or otherwise.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

JunkeonWedge wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:21 pm I swear I typed something out. What I meant to say was I hadn’t been sure if the ‘80 Mothra vs Godzilla had been released, and was intrigued it had been. I’m pretty sure that the Champion MvG was released on laserdisc in ‘96 or so. I just want to double check that Mothra ‘61, Mysterians, and King Kong Escapes have been releases, on Blu Ray or otherwise.
The 1980 MvG is, sadly, an upscale so don’t get too excited. And I can confirm that the King Kong Escapes Blu-ray includes it. I think Mothra does, too, but it is also an upscale from an SD source.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Friends don't lie.