Spiral Toy Sofubi

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Spiral Toy Sofubi

Post by Fermix »

This seems like an emotionally charged conversation and maybe we can all take a step back to look at the subject for what it is. The price is disappointing, yes, but maybe that's what the market will tell the manufacturer and they will lower it. And if not, no big deal, we can agree the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:24 pm This seems like an emotionally charged conversation and maybe we can all take a step back to look at the subject for what it is. The price is disappointing, yes, but maybe that's what the market will tell the manufacturer and they will lower it. And if not, no big deal, we can agree the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
I don't see how anything needs toned down. We don't tell people to tone down when airing their anger at Bandai, NECA, Tamashi or any other. There's no reason to here. The price of this release is absolute BS. And it generally does piss me off that there's going to be people that actually fork out that much money for these, which in turn will only make more releases inevitable and also let other companies see they can jack the prices up even more without losing many customers.

As I said, if you support Spiral Studios at this point, you are part of the problem.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I feel like shadowgigan just caught a lot of heat when they already yielded that they were uninformed on the topic of sofubi. I don't have any issue with criticizing predatory business practices, especially if they influence well-meaning individuals into thinking that the price is right.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:40 pm I feel like shadowgigan just caught a lot of heat when they already yielded that they were uninformed on the topic of sofubi. I don't have any issue with criticizing predatory business practices, especially if they influence well-meaning individuals into thinking that the price is right.
I don't have an issue with ShadowGigan in general, and I usually assume he has enough intellegence to know this.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I'm just disappointed because I really like that purple glitter version. Damn.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:00 pm I'm just disappointed because I really like that purple glitter version. Damn.
You and me both. You and me, god damn both.

Quote of the Year:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Like I said, I am just attempting to (a) promote a friend’s work and (b) facilitate discussion around the products. If you don’t like the products, or the price, that is fine. I don’t understand why it needs to turn into personal insults being directed towards people you don’t even know. The people involved in making this happen are good, trusted individuals and I think it is unfair to describe them as intentionally trying to screw over collectors. With that being said, I am going to step away from this discussion. I hope you all have a good night.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

New vinyls being teased by Spiral Toy. The concepts are done by James Groman, the same individual who did the concept for the upcoming G54 oxygen destroyer soft vinyl coming from Mondo

I'm curious to see the price discrepancy between the releases from Mondo and Spiral, given that the sculpts originate from the same artist.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Spiral Toy! Made in collaboration with designers, Kazumitsu Akamatsu and Masami Yamada.

・ More info at http://spiraltoy.com at 13:00 (GMT-4) 05/26/2023
・ Est. Arrival: July 2023
・ Edition Size: 200
I believe on Instagram they mentioned it would be going up for sale today at 1pm ET. Let's see if that $250 price tag sticks.

EDIT It's up. $225. https://www.spiraltoy.com/product-page/ ... la-2019-c1
Last edited by Fermix on Fri May 26, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:34 am EDIT It's up. $225. https://www.spiraltoy.com/product-page/ ... la-2019-c1
For a f'n glorified Marmit. Skip.

Quote of the Year:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Fermix wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:34 am EDIT It's up. $225. https://www.spiraltoy.com/product-page/ ... la-2019-c1
For a f'n glorified Marmit. Skip.
I've tried to compose my thoughts on this, and it just feels like Spiral Toy looked at what soft vinyls sell for on the aftermarket and decided they wanted the aftermarket prices upfront. I mean, no big deal if you are happy to pay that for the product, but I feel like I am one of a large fraction of the consumer base that is getting priced out from the jump.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Fermix wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:33 pm....it just feels like Spiral Toy looked at what soft vinyls sell for on the aftermarket and decided they wanted the aftermarket prices upfront.
The whole Godzilla collecting market has IMO been priced that way for several years now. I can't even afford most of the "candy toy" sized offerings any more.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Absurd. The Godzilla collector market steers more and more towards the rich with every new reveal. Shame, the figure looked really good too.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Well, at the very least, it seems we are nearly 12 hours later and the 200 Vinyls have yet to sell out. Glad to see the market isn't in white-hot demand for these at the price.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oh that's okay, I'm sure Mondo will use their brand recognition to fart out another $200+ vinyl figure that will sell out in seconds. Once Spiral's name starts getting more recognition I'm positive they'll follow suit as well.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Summer Wonderful Festival (July) exclusive. God only knows how much it will cost.
Next G19 colourway.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Geez that is one seriously beefy Shin. I’d love to get some of these Spiral sofubi, but they are just asking too much for them. I get we aren’t in the early 2000’s where Marmit Monster Heaven were $50-$80. But come on. That 2019 shouldn’t be any more than $150. $125 (or less) would be more in line with what I think it really should be.

Added in 3 minutes 35 seconds:
The Shin, being so beefy, I could see being as much as $200. So I’m sure it’ll be $350…

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Yup, when they drop the purple and black G19 I'm going to have a real crisis. It looked so good when they first showed it off at their booth.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:53 am They announced an expected price of $250 for the G19.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This Spiral Studios company is a freaking joke...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

No interest in USA Godzilla 2019, not a design I've ever much cared for, but the colorways look neat. Price is admiringly insane.

I'm interested in that chibi Godzilla that's shown as both a regular Godzilla and a fake Godzilla/Mecha Godzilla. But I'm only really interested in the Godzilla form.