Which Showa-Era Gamera kaiju do you want to see in Rebirth?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

Which Showa Gamera kaiju do you want to see come back the most? (Pick your top 3!)

Barugon
34%
Viras
7%
Guiron
31%
Jiger
11%
Zigra
16%

Total votes: 70

Gigantis
Sazer

Which Showa-Era Gamera kaiju do you want to see in Rebirth?

Post by Gigantis »

Gamera's long, long, long awaited return is finally upon us! And with that comes speculation on who could be joining him. Most would probably agree the Gyaos clan is a shoe in considering that they're considered his arch-enemy.. But what about the rest of the Showa era roster?

The likes of Barugon, Viras, Guiron, Jiger and Zigra have yet to receive anything close to a major update since their debut way back when; but there's tons of ways to bring them back into the fold depending on the story Kadokawa wants to tell. Jiger's already tied to ancient civilizations from what I remember, so if they bring back Atlantis as Gamera's origin, maybe she can hail from a rival island like Mu or Lemuria? Or hell, aliens can't be that much of a stretch considering the universe this is set in, maybe Viras and Zigra are enemy aliens who both want to take control of Earth, but always get at each others' throats before they can even start to do something about Gamera.

Well I'm rambling at this point lol. Who do you wanna see most?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Which Showa-Era Gamera kaiju do you want to see in Rebirth?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hmmm I think about all of them but I think Jiger is in the lead for me. Then Barugon then Guiron.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Barugon, Guiron, & Jiger

Banana Squid and Fail Shark can both stay far, far away as far as I'm concerned.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Barugon is top choice

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm fine with anybody as long as they give Gyaos a break. If I had to pick just one, I'd bet my money on Zigra.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Since this is a series, I wouldn't be surprised if every single Gamera kaiju made appearances plus a few new kaiju ones.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:14 pm Since this is a series, I wouldn't be surprised if every single Gamera kaiju made appearances plus a few new kaiju ones.
Is this really a series? Or is it a movie?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I voted for Barugon, but after a second, I realized that Zedus basically held the same function. Still, Barugon has that cool rainbow power and freezing breath.

Viras might be from one of the worst Gamera films, but the Dark Horse 90's comics handled Viras surpsingly well, and showed that with just a few design and tonal tweeks, Viras can be a force to be recokened with. That actually applies to most of the Gamera monsters, for example, Gyaos didn't need much changed to make it fit well into the Heisei era films.

All the Showa Gamera monsters are very distinct from one another, and I'd be happy if any of them came back.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Barugon and Jiger are my top choices, though I wouldn't mind Guiron.

You could also fit aliens like Zigra and Viras into a mythical setting. As a squid, Viras is like the kraken. On old maps sailors frequently showed sea monsters, and one or two I've seen have a resemblance to Zigra. You could easily alter their origin for a new story.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Man, I love Barugon but am absolutely bewildered to see that Guiron and more outlandish villains like Zigra and Viras aren't currently leading this poll. Barugon is kind of ....vanilla.

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

Guiron

I Fricken Love Guiron

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

So it looks like Jiger and Gyaos have been confirmed (three left I think), but I'd give my votes to Barugon or Guiron.

I think it would be cool, and not completely out of the question, if one or two of the monsters are new creations. The Gamera short from 2016 had a new creature, and if the series is using the same designs of Gamera and Gyaos from that short, I have to wonder if the new monster will be lifted as well.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Pulling for Guiron and Barugon. I'd also be happy for Zigra, but I'll take Legion, Iris, Zedus or a new kaiju.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I voted Zigra and it seems I might've lucked out.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Zigra and Guiron are the two I wanted to see. Anything else is icing on the cake.