RIP Kazuki Ômori (1952 - 2022)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
H-Man
G-Grasper

RIP Kazuki Ômori (1952 - 2022)

Post by H-Man »

https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/soc ... tTgb_Q0

Kazuki Ômori has died of leukemia.

He wrote and directed Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

He wrote Godzilla and Mothra and Godzilla vs Destoroyah.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RIP Kazuki Ômori (1952 - 2022)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Damn.

As far as Godzilla directors go, he's certainly underated. While many might now know his name like they do Honda or Fukuda, I think he had a large impact on the Heisei series, and he created two of my favorite Godzilla films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

He had two of the best movies in the franchise to his name, and the other two are major landmarks if nothing else. That's accomplishment enough for anyone.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is it true he was a huge James Bond fan?

Star Falcon
Samurai

Post by Star Falcon »

he crafted some great movies that are amongst my absolute favourites in the history of the series. rest in peace.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I've always had healthy respect for Omori despite some of his tackier choices. Biollante and King Ghidorah are two of my go-to films to show people who aren't super familiar with the series. Some accuse him of a Hollywood fixation which I wouldn't argue, but I think it's safe to say he had a tremendous hand in the current state of Godzilla as a global icon. And I think sometimes it's good for an "outsider" to work with an established property, the way he did, as someone who isn't super obsessed with said property. His contributions to the series go well beyond Biollante and Vs King Ghidorah, but those films will always be special to me (in case you can't tell by the username lmao)
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

RIP. This man is basically responsible for my childhood, at least in part. He leaves a gigantic legacy behind.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like his work, and vs Biollante is high on my list of Godzilla films. My sympathies to his family and friends.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was my first Godzilla film, and it holds a very dear place in my heart. This sucks.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I might watch Godzilla vs. Biollante later today in his honor.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Very sad to hear about his passing. Godzilla vs. Biollante is on deck for my ongoing chronological rewatch, and this will certainly cast a somber light on my viewing.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy