Always Sunset on Third Street 1+2 (2005 and 2007)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Always Sunset on Third Street 1+2 (2005 and 2007)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Edit: I've decided to just make this a general discussion thread for the series as a whole.

Well, this is a Toho film, and it’s directed by a man who will be a Godzilla director shortly, so no excuses not to watch it or discuss it!

Given recent events, I’ve been in a downer mood. This by know means really fixes things, but it definitely felt appropriate to watch something “heart warming” that at the very least make me feel worse.

Anyways, this was pretty good. It was sort of like a Japanese “Cannery Road” where there’s a few vignettes and comedic stories that all sort of click together into a larger story. I loved how it was all about a small neighborhood, and the drama, in late 1950’s japan, getting used to rapid industry and changing times. I loved the references to other Japanese films, directors and literature. The characters were likeable and fun. I’ll say more in depth if more people watch this.

But, I don’t feel so worried about Yamasaki Takashi directing a Godzilla film. It’s simple, but the film feels well made and full of emotion.

I can’t recommend it to tokkatsu diehards, but it’s an easy watch with a family or romantic partner. It’s also a nice movie to watch around the holiday season.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Always Sunset on Third Street (2005)

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Was Sunset on Third Street a sequel? I've been curious about this one for years but never took the time to watch.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:06 am Was Sunset on Third Street a sequel? I've been curious about this one for years but never took the time to watch.
Always Sunset 1 is a drama about a bunch of people living in a small area of Tokyo in the late 1950's.

Always Sunset 2, where Godzilla briefly makes a cameo, is a sequel. I don't know much more, because I haven't watched them. However, my tentative plan Is to watch all the Yamazaki Toho films, so it should be fun.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What are the characters like in these movies?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:52 pm What are the characters like in these movies?
Explaining quickly; likeable and vulnerable at times. I can't say I've ever found myself annoyed at characters in the movies he has worked on.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched the sequel, the one that is famous on here solely because of Godzilla being in the opening. It was good.

It was a little more realistic than the first one, but ultimately more of the same. I was a little dissapointed with how it "undoes" some of the happy endings from the first film, but at the same time it sort of addresses major problems I had with the first film. I view this less as a sequel, and more of a direct continuation. It's also a little less funny, and more of a straight forward drama. As someone who reads a lot of Japanese literature, I enjoyed one of the primary plotpoints being the Akutagawa Prize. I also enjoyed the outcome of that plot, and thought everything clicked together nicely. However, Roku's boyfriend plot felt a little out of nowhere, and it feels a little clear they didn't know what to do with her after the first one.

Regarding Godzilla, if the director can capture the same tone/energy from the opening scene, I think we'll have a fantastic monster movie next year.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Always Sunset on Third Street 1+2 (2005 and 2007)

Post by LegendZilla »

Should there be an anime TV adaptation of the manga?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr. Driscoll put up a rather nice review of the second film on the mainsite, with some interesting observations and tidbits.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/movie- ... reet-2-nd/

I just wanted to use this as a chance to also point more people to these two films befor ethe upcoming Godzilla film comes out. While I'm sure it will be tonally different, I think these are enjoyable movies that reflect the director well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think Godzilla Zero could be a wonderful companion piece to Shin Godzilla. Especially if Yamazaki leans into the interpersonal relationships of his characters and their reactions to the events unfolding around them. Sounds like he has a very good grasp at characters and believable relationships. Something more akin to Godzilla Raids Again. Focus more on average ordinary citizens. This gives me hope as to what he might bring to the series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Wasn't there a 3rd movie released in 2012? Was Takashi not attached to that one?

Anyway, these movies have always been a curiosity to me but I've never had an opportunity to watch them. Hoping to see them someday!
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

TheLastGezora wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:24 am Wasn't there a 3rd movie released in 2012? Was Takashi not attached to that one?

Anyway, these movies have always been a curiosity to me but I've never had an opportunity to watch them. Hoping to see them someday!
Yeah, there's a third film. I intended this threat to be a discussion of all three, but forgot to change that. Always Sunset 64' which is pretty decent. In my opinion, the second is the best.

None of these are "hard to get" period peices or anything. They're fun, emotional, family dramas, so they're enjyoable and easy to watch with others. If you have an oppurtunity to do so I reccomend it!