Health & Nutrition Thread.

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Health & Nutrition Thread.

Post by Gojira1604 »

A thread to discuss health. What do you do & eat to stay physically well? What was it like the last time you were ill?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Health & Nutrition Thread.

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

This is a fantastic thread idea!

I recently started taking passion flower extract for my anxiety, and it seems to be doing the trick, though it also seems to come with a lil sleepy brain fog if I take too much.
Still beats popping Xanax like PEZ.

Tonight I'm starting going to the gym but haven't been able to knock smoking cigs. So I'm gonna reap the benefits of my shitty life choices and try to hunker down this week.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, I'm a retail stocker, so my job is all walking around, carrying boxes, and putting stuff on shelves. That's a pretty decent amount of physical activity to keep me in passable shape.

My diet sucks, but I make sure to drink a lot of water, milk, and semi-healthy sports drinks. I guess that's something.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m an avid swimmer. I do that mostly and I’ve been doing since the age of 3. My body has stayed reasonably well toned thanks to it :huge: I recommend it for anybody
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I jog semi-daily, and go to the gym at least three times a week. I'm not super swole, but I have muscle and I try to keep healthy. I don't drive to work, I ride my bike, and that also helps.

My diet goes up and down. My wife and I like to eat a lot of veggies. and lean meats. However, I also drink a lot (less recently thankfully), and sometimes I feel like I overeat. People stereotype Japanese food as beaing healthy, but there's a lot of super salty foods too, and you're not supposed to eat fish everyday.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

I've eaten more spicy chicken sandwiches than I care to admit, but at least I'm doing what my doctor told me and not eating much red/pink meat. I'll take a walk or jog about every day. I'm basically your average guy.

Added in 31 seconds:
I seriously need to cut back on those spicy chicken sandwiches though.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Ight, how much are doctors appointments costing nowadays?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Gojira1604 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:06 pm Ight, how much are doctors appointments costing nowadays?
At least in the US, I think general appointments are doable if you've got decent insurance. Dental appointments are a nightmare though.

On my end I've heavily reduced my bread intake, and cut onion, pasta and alcohol completely. The benefits have definitely been apparent, particularly on my skin, though I think a lot of it has to do with the preservatives and sugars we put into food in the US (tested negative for celiac). I didn't have anywhere near as many issues with the food while I was in Japan and Oz.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

https://youtu.be/5bAPY48Jgv0

Think ppl should know. Chemicals in fish.
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Creature22 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:06 am On my end I've heavily reduced my bread intake, and cut onion, pasta and alcohol completely.
Hang on. The rest I can understand, but why cut out onions? Aren't those supposed to be extremely healthy?

I've been trying to eat healthier the past few months. For now I'm just focusing on just getting in more fruits and veggies, severely reducing my pop intake (I was a bit of a Pepsi fiend...), and switching to whole-wheat or whole-grain products where possible. I could never give up pasta, I love spaghetti too damn much, but I guess I don't have fat to worry about gaining either.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:24 am
Creature22 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:06 am On my end I've heavily reduced my bread intake, and cut onion, pasta and alcohol completely.
Hang on. The rest I can understand, but why cut out onions? Aren't those supposed to be extremely healthy?

I've been trying to eat healthier the past few months. For now I'm just focusing on just getting in more fruits and veggies, severely reducing my pop intake (I was a bit of a Pepsi fiend...), and switching to whole-wheat or whole-grain products where possible. I could never give up pasta, I love spaghetti too damn much, but I guess I don't have fat to worry about gaining either.
Yes, they generally are! I should have clarified; I had an abdominal surgery a few years back and it essentially "reset" my gut microbiome. I went from being able to eat mostly anything to being unable to tolerate certain foods, the biggest culprit being onion due to its acidity. So I cut it out and make a constant effort to cook without it or use other alternatives. I can no longer have pizza as most tomato sauces will have onion as a key ingredient :cry:

If you need tips on veggie intake, strengthening your omelette game is a good way to pack in all the stuff you'd rather "not eat". I'll sautée a huge clump of baby spinach or mushrooms or pepper or whatever in a skillet and then pour the beaten eggs on top and let them cook in. Sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese or meat into the mix and it's stacked.

I also switched to coffee as my way to "wean off" soda a few years back. I know it's still not great for you, but I assume it's miles better than drinking a Coca-Cola on the regular.
Last edited by Creature22 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m apart of the club rowing team at my university. Now I’m not very good (like at all), but the team environment is great and the constant physical exercise is too. I work out about 12 hours a week, and while lots of it is cardio, rowing is really great for activating different muscle groups. I’m not eating as healthy as I should be but that’s the easiest way I’ve been able to keep up with the calorie intake the sport kinda requires, although over the summer I do tend to eat better. I am kinda scared what’ll happen when I leave school and likely won’t be working out as much as I am now, but time will tell.
He Jock it Made of Steel