Best & Worst VHS/Blu-Ray/DVD Artwork for the Godzilla franchise!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Best & Worst VHS/Blu-Ray/DVD Artwork for the Godzilla franchise!

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

To continue the discussion that was so abruptly ended by the power that be in the other thread. A thread dedicated for the discussion of artwork used on home video releases of the franchise. 1990's had some amazing VHS artwork for films like Destroy All Monsters by ADV. I'm also a huge sucker for some of the Simitar artwork and the Paramount releases. Currently, one of my most detested is the Criterion set for an extreme amount of sheer laziness from the artists that actually worked on it, including the use of G89 on the package itself.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Best & Worst VHS/Blu-Ray/DVD Artwork for the Godzilla franchise!

Post by Legion1979 »

So...do you like or hate the DAM ADV cover? Because half the monsters depicted here use 90s designs for a film made in 1968.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Oh this will be a fun thread. There’s been some really great home video artwork over the years (and some really *really* terrible art too).

The first Godzilla film I ever saw was GKOTM via the Vestron Video release below. Found it at my local Blockbuster which also had these other awesome vhs covers on the shelf

Below are some of my favorite covers that I had in my personal collection. For the last two I posted the laserdisc versions because they show more of the awesome artwork, whereas the vhs versions that I owned cropped the sides.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The best are definitely the New World Gigan and Mechagodzilla VHS covers.

Worst? Probably the Simitar VHS and DVDs from 1998.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:15 pm Currently, one of my most detested is the Criterion set for an extreme amount of sheer laziness from the artists that actually worked on it.
Please provide clear support for the idea that your problems with the artwork are the result of "laziness" and not the result of your expectations and sensibilities differing from the intent and sensibilities of the set's producers and the artists themselves.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I tried to start on a positive note with covers I really like. But now! On to the horrors of terrible home video artwork!

And finally, yep. The one that spurred this thread into existence.

I don’t absolutely hate it like some do. But overall it feels like a failure. I get what they were trying to do (I think), but ultimately it completely misses the mark in terms of celebrating the history and appeal of the films actually in the set. It also largely ignores or misunderstands the tastes of the fan base and what draws us to these movies. I think artwork mimicking the classic Showa pop art of the time from some of those great children’s books would’ve worked much better and still fulfilled a similar intent/aesthetic.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But like I've said many times, this sort of art is Criterion's MO. Look at the covers for all their other releases. There's this minimalist pop art look to all of it. Fans just seem to be mad at this art because it's not what THEY wanted, when it's clear that what THEY wanted was probably Japanese poster art or Matt Frank drawings.

Nothing about this packaging (aside from the terrible glue job on the disc holders) is lazy. Lazy is shitty cut and paste/clip art. Lazy is just slapping a Japanese poster on the cover like Krakken did and calling it a day. THAT is lazy. Commissioning 15 artists to produce artwork and putting out a coffee table sized book isn't lazy. There IS real love of the franchise on display here. But fans are fans. Fans see the wrong Godzilla on the cover and cry for three years.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I wasn’t arguing in favor of the “lazy” complaint. And I know pop art is criterion’s style. My point was, as a whole (I’ll admit I do like some of the individual pieces), criterion shows the wrong artists and the wrong style of pop art for this set. It feels incongruous and disconnected from the actual film series (again, as a WHOLE). In my opinion it misses the mark.

They could’ve easily done a pop art package that better matches the tone and aesthetics of the actual films. Like I mentioned, looking to the classic Showa era art in children’s books and toy packaging from the time these films were made for inspiration would’ve worked much better IMO.

Stuff like this:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But that's NOT Criterion's style. They never use art like that. And they weren't about to start doing that sort of thing for Godzilla. The art for the set matches Criterion's overall aesthetic.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:46 am I wasn’t arguing in favor of the “lazy” complaint. And I know pop art is criterion’s style. My point was, as a whole (I’ll admit I do like some of the individual pieces), criterion shows the wrong artists and the wrong style of pop art for this set. It feels incongruous and disconnected from the actual film series (again, as a WHOLE). In my opinion it misses the mark.

They could’ve easily done a pop art package that better matches the tone and aesthetics of the actual films. Like I mentioned, looking to the classic Showa era art in children’s books and toy packaging from the time these films were made for inspiration would’ve worked much better IMO.

Stuff like this:

Those pieces are beautiful
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:51 am But that's NOT Criterion's style. They never use art like that. And they weren't about to start doing that sort of thing for Godzilla. The art for the set matches Criterion's overall aesthetic.
I’d argue (as evidenced by the covers in this article: https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best- ... -38-22-pm/ ) criterion doesn’t have a specific style but does tend to go for “artsy” covers that try to reflect the look, feel, mood, or theme of the film.

I’d argue newly commissioned art that draws heavy inspiration from the types of drawings I posted above would ABSOLUTELY fit in the “criterion style” and be right at home amongst the covers in that article. AND they’d be much more representative of the films in the set and probably much more appreciated by the fans of the series than the art we got.

But to each their own.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

For what it's worth, I've been a fan since 1986 and I don't think any of the artwork is all that bad. Some of them, even the ones that seem to piss off people, are a lot of fun.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I get it. Like I said, I don’t hate it. But I DO think it could’ve been done much better.

Back to a positive note, some more covers I always really liked.

And the box art that first captured my imagination in that local Blockbuster Video so many years ago and introduced me to the wondrous world of Godzilla!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:56 am Worst? Probably the Simitar VHS and DVDs from 1998.
Why Simitar? I was always a big fan of their KotM and Monster Zero VHS boxes.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

No offense Monster Master, but you are partaking in slight doublethink by bashing some of the Criterion art for using the Heisei Godzilla while singing praise to the ADV DAM, which uses designs very-much inspired by the Heisei era. Anyways, while a lot of the Criterion art isn't for me, I can at least appreciate them for trying something different (but even some of the lousier artwork is among the least of my issues with the boxset). I'll certainly take them over the "original poster over background" method used for the 2007 Classic Media DVDs and the Kraken Blus. I guess they were meant to give them an "elegant" look, but I just find it lazy (and the prestigious vibe is ruined on the Kraken releases with those cheesy taglines).

But this is my favorite bad VHS art.
Funny how "Dunham" is misspelled, but both Japanese names are actually right.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:34 pm No offense Monster Master, but you are partaking in slight doublethink by bashing some of the Criterion art for using the Heisei Godzilla while singing praise to the ADV DAM, which uses designs very-much inspired by the Heisei era. Anyways, while a lot of the Criterion isn't for me, I can at least appreciate them for trying something different (but even some of the lousier artwork is among the least of my issues with the boxset). I'll certainly take them over the "original poster over background" method used for the 2007 Classic Media DVDs and the Kraken Blus. I guess it's meant to give them an "elegant" look, but I just find it lazy (and the prestigious vibe is ruined on the Kraken releases with those cheesy taglines).

But this is my favorite bad VHS art.
Funny how "Dunham" is misspelled, but both Japanese names are actually right.
That has to be the funniest cover related to Godzilla that I’ve seen yet. They didn’t even try :lol: , it’s like someone played a long game of telephone explaining what the movie was about, but it made its way through the Jurassic Park studio first, and this was the outcome.

Added in 4 minutes 5 seconds:
Also as far as the Criterion collection goes, as a Graphic artist I actually really dig and respect the amount of variation and pop-color we get from the Showa set. Loads of different art styles from tons of different artists, but I do also agree with MM that this does not hold them from criticism, as visual art very much plays a part in whether someone will pick up a newer or older edition of a film.

Hell, film collectors do it all the time! I do it with my blu-rays and 4ks when a much more eye-catching or exclusive variant reveals itself. Kind of like when collecting comic book variants, yes it’s the same stories within, but the covers are what you see first (which to the common visitor, that’s what catches their eye when picking a film for the afternoon)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Of course, the thing with an expensive set like Criterion #1000 is that it's not going to be an impulse buy for most people. If you buy it, it's most likely because you were always planning on buying it and you know exactly what it is. Are there actually people who didn't buy this JUST BECAUSE of the art? Because, come on now.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

This "Mothra vs. Godzilla" VHS art really brings me back. That, and the "Terror of Mechagodzilla" box art that was done in this style. Strangely, the double features such as vs. SpaceGodzilla + vs. Destoroyah with the wacky font style is really nostalgic.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The paste job on Destroyer looks pretty bad though. Why are there two Super X3s?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

WORST
COVER
EVER.

Starmaker VHS. Not only does it depict the wrong suit, the suit is from the Showa era and is superimposed over the correct suit glimpsed in the background.
Last edited by G1985 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.