I don’t understand the hate for the way the Hollow Earth was portrayed in GVK.

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: I don’t understand the hate for the way the Hollow Earth was portrayed in GVK.

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legendary Gojira wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:18 am Serizawa was a contemporary of his. Didn’t stop him from being where the action was.
Yeah. And look what happened to him. If anything regarding this was missed in GvK, it was his son's hatred for Godzilla for being the one his dad died for. If not hating Serizawa himself for dedicating his life to the nuclear lizard and not being around in his life (assuming). Brooks in the Hollow Earth would have offered nothing substantial to the movie or the plot, and just put another character on screen that we wouldn't have even had time to care about. Unless you think he should have pulled a Serizawa and killed himself in order to save Kong or something in the Hollow Earth, which is just lame and lazy writing.

Like all the complaints of not seeing the HE packed with kaiju. Why? They offer nothing to the plot. We know there's monsters down there because duh. There is a thing in movies called pacing.

"We didn't see Mother Long Legs! We didn't see Skull Crawlers! We didn't see this! We didn't see that!"

So? What exactly would they have done for the movie? I mean, you can swap out the Warbats for a quick fight with some SCs or something, sure. But the movie isn't about the HE. We got a glimpse of the wildlife down there (Warbats, Doug, the bug things, etc). We don't need to see the entire thing packed with kaiju like a busy day on main street. What purpose of the plot would Kong beating up the Warbats during his arrival, and then five minutes later, duking it out with a Mother Long Legs or a Skull Crawler have? It's just filler that'd make the movie longer. And chances are, would then eat into human time even more. Or, god forbid, cut into the actual battles we want to see (Godzilla vs. Kong). And I just know how every MV hater just loves to bitch about the human cast not getting enough screen time anymore. I can agree that it'd have been neat to see a web or something on a mountain, but to actually complain about it is just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

And I'm also just going to point out we haven't seen the whole of the HE, and we probably never will. The scope of it has to be absolutely insane. God knows how many other "lost cities" are on the barriers between it and the surface world. It's comical that some seem to think the HE we saw is all there is. Just think of all the various biomes and ecosystems on the surface, from the Amazon rainforest to the Sahara desert. There's no reason to think the HE is any different, with each having its own unique animals and Titans.

"Why doesn't the HE look like it did in KOTM!!!!!???"

Well why TF doesn't the Australian Outback look like the Louisiana Bayou?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: I don’t understand the hate for the way the Hollow Earth was portrayed in GVK.

Post by CyberZilla »

Love the concept tbh. My gripe lies in wanting to see more, such as if there are varied ecosystems of Titans or if there are other historical remains of ancient creatures, cultures, etc.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Excellent takes all through this thread. The point in how the HE was utilized in this film was not to show the entire scope of the ecosystem it represents- that’s literally impossible given how vast and unexplored it is in relation to our surface world. The goal was to show a heirloom and legacy of Kong’s species in their former glory with a taste of the overall environment and imo they succeeded in that. I’m frankly glad the main core doesn’t look like the pockets that are closer to the surface, if anything it adds a lot of regional variety.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

As someone who generally doesn't like the Monsterverse that much but LOVES Godzilla 2014, a big part of my personal gripes with it are seeded in my love for the more grounded 2014 film. I've since made peace with the fact that, going forward, the Monsterverse just won't be that anymore, that it has evolved into a different beast tonally and thematically. That being said, I still feel like its a bit TOO MUCH, while at the same time too little. Its got so much magical cgi bullshit going on but yet its so empty and boring. I personally was hoping that the hollow earth would be like a giant bioluminescent cave network. It would fit more in line with what Kong: Skull Island set up with the Skull Crawlers without jumping the shark into absurdity.

BennettCommando
Monsterland Worker

Post by BennettCommando »

My gripe for the GVK Hollow Earth probably lies in the fact that we just see a glympse of the HE ecosystem. I expect to see more Titans,old or new,dwelling Hollow Earth. Such as a pair of Rodans(Looking more primitive than the one in KoTM.) soaring through the sky, a trio of Mothra Larvae(Also look more primitive than the one in KoTM,a call-back to the "Primitive Mothra" in Rebirth of Mothra 3) wandering through the forest. Several Titanus Methuselahs and Titanus Behemoths grazing in the plain.Titanus Mokele-Mbembe resting in a swamp,Titanus Bunyip taking a mudbath,etc.

And as a dinosaur lover,I really wish to see more Hollow Earth creatures that based on non-avian dinosaurs. Especially the novelization of GVK implies at least some Paleofauna escaped extinction by migrating into Hollow Earth.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

I've come around on it. It was so utterly unlike what I expected the Hollow Earth to be that my mind mostly just glanced off it for a while, I think. I was expecting something like The Hollow from Gears of War, and instead got a literal world-within-a-world! :dizzy: But then I got to thinking, that is actually much more in keeping with the way hollow earths were portrayed in the pulps. This is the kind of hidden world Burroughs would have approved of, I think. After that realization, I was much more onboard with the strangeness. :D

GojiraSeeker_2099
Yojimbo

Post by GojiraSeeker_2099 »

I just pretend that Hollow Earth's subterranean tunnels/caverns still exist but they simply serve as entry/exit points into the Hollow Earth itself (not whatever that weird teleportation "portal" thingy in Antarctica...).

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

GojiraSeeker_2099 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:54 am I just pretend that Hollow Earth's subterranean tunnels/caverns still exist but they simply serve as entry/exit points into the Hollow Earth itself (not whatever that weird teleportation "portal" thingy in Antarctica...).

That's what I always figured was happening. Godzilla doesn't enter the Hollow Earth(though the mental image of him Super Mario-ing his way from one "pipe" to another refuses to leave my mind :D ) so much as he "skims" along its surface through submerged tunnels, using the gravity inversion barrier to increase his travel speed.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I don’t like how absurdly fantastical it is for the Monsterverse (sunlight, portals, ecosystem almost like the surface, etc etc etc). I much prefer how it was portrayed in KotM.
Jumped the shark too much.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.